Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew this was possible, but didn't realize how handy it would be until I tried it a few times. With the pushbutton electronic shifter, there's no need to shift to P when preparing to shut down the engine. The trans automatically shifts to park when the Engine Start/Stop button is pressed. The only time you need to shift to Park is if you want to sit with the engine running. Shutting down you can just press the button. Doors will unlock if selected in Power Off setup options.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You right.
However, as per the Manual, Hyundai recommends that "Park" be shifted to first, before turning ignition OFF.

Just to point out... regards

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm. I’d like to hear the rationale for that. Assuming the vehicle is fully stopped I can’t see a difference.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I think it Prudent to put your Car in Park before turning the engine off to be sure. Perhaps its somehow better for the transmission. If nothing else it does not use the battery then engage Park and or the E-break for that matter.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as I can tell it involves the exact same mechanical and electrical process, just with one less button push. No more or less battery or brake involvement. It seems to all be just an electronic process and it’s been working as it’s apparently designed to do. I’ll keep you posted on any variations or problems. I now have about 10k miles on the vehicle and it’s as close to perfect as any I’ve ever had. PS: Our 2018 Genesis G80 Sport works the same. My neighbor’s Lincoln works the same.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have no knowledge if any wear that might be alluded to in the manual (not sure what page Danjimi is referring to?).

Electrical wise logically the engine is driving the alternator and providing electrical power until the engine is off. So the transmission can be moved to Park and E-Break set while the Engine is providing electrical power instead of battery power. Whether this power draw is so negligible to be irrelevant I have no information.

Either way it personally feels "safer" to have the Car in Park before engine off, if I can remember to do so. -By safer I mean unintentional movement avoided.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have no knowledge if any wear that might be alluded to in the manual (not sure what page Danjimi is referring to?).

Either way it personally feels "safer" to have the Car in Park before engine off, if I can remember to do so. -By safer I mean unintentional movement avoided.
I agree. I’ll have to double check the sequence but I think that is how it happens. I’m fairly sure that the engine won’t shut down until the vehicle is in Park (unless an emergency Stop procedure is initiated). I’ll check next time I drive.

·
Registered
446 Posts
There are a lot of "safeties" regardless. Foot on break required for various. Auto Engine Off most of the time, Auto Park. If I am not mistaken the car puts itself in park generally with engine auto-off while foot is on break.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are a lot of "safeties" regardless. Foot on break required for various. Auto Engine Off most of the time, Auto Park. If I am not mistaken the car puts itself in park generally with engine auto-off while foot is on break.
Exactly.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just tried it again. The P doesn’t appear until the engine has stopped but it’s very obvious that the transmission has shifted to Park already. I see no evidence that anything unsafe or unwise is happening by using the shortcut.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't think anyone can be sure, but this "feature" seems more like a safety fallback, rather than an actual "shortcut" to be used intentionally. Does it really take that much to shift the car into park, especially for us now that it's a button? Seems a bit silly to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Plus the fact that the auto start/stop kicks in when you stop. It bugs me that when I'm parking, the engine will shut off when I stop and then start when I hit the park button...

·
Banned
674 Posts
"Oh thank god. I can't be bothered reaching over and pushing a button. Thanks Hyundai!"

Said no one, ever.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Plus the fact that the auto start/stop kicks in when you stop. It bugs me that when I'm parking, the engine will shut off when I stop and then start when I hit the park button...
I am having the same issue. I have no problem pressing park before I turn off the engine but once I stop as soon as I press park the engine revs back on right before I go to turn the engine off. It’s very annoying!!!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yeah Im 50/50 now I still would rather hit Park then off but since the Car turns itself on 1/2 the time unless your really fast I am trying to train myself to just hit STOP. Really if this is not what Hyundai intended i would be surprised.. Just hit stop.

·
Super Moderator
954 Posts
If you don't press that hard on the brake, you can still stop but car does not shut off

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yeah at a stop light. But when you come to stop in your driveway or parking lot the tendency is for the car to shut down and then it often starts back up. Its easier despite my original slight misgivings to just turn the car off before it turns it self off and then it puts itself in parlk.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I wish the car would always automatically engage the parking brake when I shut the engine off. Learning on a manual car and still owning one, it's been a habit of mine since I started driving to always set the parking brake - always. The Palisade only auto engages the parking brake if it gets shut off on an incline/decline.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Been just hitting the off button and stepping out of my Caddy XT5 for years. It auto goes into Park, no problem. I'm sure my new Palisade will be the same. If GM is doing it Hyundai does it better. The Caddy auto locks 5 seconds after walking away from it. Does the Palisade do this?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts