Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2020 AWD Palisade SEL (Lagoon Silver/BlackBlack) with Conv
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need to go back and do a little taping of the wire, but the basic idea is this

1) pop open the top/center speaker grille on top of the dash (I did not remove far enough to need to unplug anything).. this pops out with typical plastic trim kit removal tools (and/or I like to use a rubber "dish cleaner" from REI such as: GSI Outdoors Compact Scraper | REI Co-op )
2a) open the glove box
2b) on the lower right side, disconnect the cone/socket
2c) then depress the top sides to disengage the pins in the tracks.. no need to remove further it will hang down far enough (and dump anything in it on the floor)
3) Get out your trusty fish tape (2-3' is more than enough) and go up thru the upper left corner behind the glove box and head up diagonally to the center speaker area

you can now use the fish tape to get your power/USB cord from the center speaker area to the power/USB connections below the center console

The dash is soft-ish.. for the sake of leaving an indent where I would see it less, I run the wire out the engine side of the speaker grate, then clip back in to place. (ie. when you remove it, if there is a divot, it'll be on the side of the grille away from you).

Now re-assemble in reverse order.

In theory you can remove at any time and the car will have 0 clipped/spliced wires, and you don't have to carve up your power cord for splicing. I just removed this from my Outback, where it was installed for 5 years. No evidence it had ever been done.

Note: my SEL doesn't have that speaker populated.. but I would imagine that is just one extra step each direction.

Next step may be to find an exit further toward the floor. The coiled radar detector wire I have is slightly in the way (it still closes but needs a little (not a lot) of extra help)

Look forward to anyone finding a better wiring path.

EDIT: I'd rating difficulty at 2 out of 10.. ie. I have a fish tape, but I am NOT good with it... it's just gentle trial and error (ie. you don't want to force it and pop a connector off the back of the radio or something like that).

EDIT2: I didn't look at how to do it.. but removing the glove box all the way (ie. the lower connections too) probably would make this easier.

I did this after dark with a strong flashlight pointed down the top/center speaker hole so I could use the light to help figure out what was/not enclosed and might offer a path.

·
Registered
2020 AWD Palisade SEL (Lagoon Silver/BlackBlack) with Conv
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Uploaded the method I used as well. Nice write up.
adding a link to yours: Another no cut or splice method for installing a...]

I think I may try that approach.. tho for my radar detector I will need a straight-up 12V cable with the telephone jack end. ie. something like this:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I need to go back and do a little taping of the wire, but the basic idea is this

1) pop open the top/center speaker grille on top of the dash (I did not remove far enough to need to unplug anything).. this pops out with typical plastic trim kit removal tools (and/or I like to use a rubber "dish cleaner" from REI such as: GSI Outdoors Compact Scraper | REI Co-op )
2a) open the glove box
2b) on the lower right side, disconnect the cone/socket
2c) then depress the top sides to disengage the pins in the tracks.. no need to remove further it will hang down far enough (and dump anything in it on the floor)
3) Get out your trusty fish tape (2-3' is more than enough) and go up thru the upper left corner behind the glove box and head up diagonally to the center speaker area

you can now use the fish tape to get your power/USB cord from the center speaker area to the power/USB connections below the center console

The dash is soft-ish.. for the sake of leaving an indent where I would see it less, I run the wire out the engine side of the speaker grate, then clip back in to place. (ie. when you remove it, if there is a divot, it'll be on the side of the grille away from you).

Now re-assemble in reverse order.

In theory you can remove at any time and the car will have 0 clipped/spliced wires, and you don't have to carve up your power cord for splicing. I just removed this from my Outback, where it was installed for 5 years. No evidence it had ever been done.

Note: my SEL doesn't have that speaker populated.. but I would imagine that is just one extra step each direction.

Next step may be to find an exit further toward the floor. The coiled radar detector wire I have is slightly in the way (it still closes but needs a little (not a lot) of extra help)

Look forward to anyone finding a better wiring path.

EDIT: I'd rating difficulty at 2 out of 10.. ie. I have a fish tape, but I am NOT good with it... it's just gentle trial and error (ie. you don't want to force it and pop a connector off the back of the radio or something like that).

EDIT2: I didn't look at how to do it.. but removing the glove box all the way (ie. the lower connections too) probably would make this easier.

I did this after dark with a strong flashlight pointed down the top/center speaker hole so I could use the light to help figure out what was/not enclosed and might offer a path.
Go to blendmount.com for the cleanest radar detector brackets and hardwiring solution there is available. I’ve used them on multiple cars for years and they’re incredible. if you’re at all handy you can install yourself or pay someone about $50 to do it for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts