Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Palisade Limited. One of the main reasons we bought it was because it did so well on the IIHS tests and is a top safety pick plus. I figured it would do well on the NHTSA crash tests as well, but the tests weren't out yet when we bought the car. I checked the NHTSA website a few days ago and while the Palisade still hasn't been crash-tested, the Telluride has...and while it got 5 stars overall, it only got 4/5 stars on the front crash tests. Does this mean that the Palisade would also only get 4/5 stars on this test? How can the Palisade/Telluride do so well on the IIHS tests (which I always thought were more stringent) and not so well on the NHTSA tests? If anyone has any insight about this, I'd appreciate it...safety is the most important thing for me and now I'm questioning our choice of car!

·
Registered
14 Posts
You made your choice based on the best available information at the time -- IIHS test results, which you believe are better than NHTSA. Why the doubt now? Safety is important and I believe most vehicles are very safe these days so the difference between a 4 and a 5 rating is manageable. Also, while the Telluride and the Palisade are similar, there may be factors that could make the Palisade perform better in testing. In fact, I think the Palisade performed better than the Telluride in IIHS testing (google it).

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I have a Palisade Limited. One of the main reasons we bought it was because it did so well on the IIHS tests and is a top safety pick plus. I figured it would do well on the NHTSA crash tests as well, but the tests weren't out yet when we bought the car. I checked the NHTSA website a few days ago and while the Palisade still hasn't been crash-tested, the Telluride has...and while it got 5 stars overall, it only got 4/5 stars on the front crash tests. Does this mean that the Palisade would also only get 4/5 stars on this test? How can the Palisade/Telluride do so well on the IIHS tests (which I always thought were more stringent) and not so well on the NHTSA tests? If anyone has any insight about this, I'd appreciate it...safety is the most important thing for me and now I'm questioning our choice of car!
You made your choice based on the best available information at the time -- IIHS test results, which you believe are better than NHTSA. Why the doubt now? Safety is important and I believe most vehicles are very safe these days so the difference between a 4 and a 5 rating is manageable. Also, while the Telluride and the Palisade are similar, there may be factors that could make the Palisade perform better in testing. In fact, I think the Palisade performed better than the Telluride in IIHS testing (google it).
Just to clarify: neither the IIHS nor the NHTSA have crash-tested the Palisade. Only the Telluride. If you read the IIHS report for the Palisade carefully, you'll see that they use the Telluride's crash test results for the Palisade.

The IIHS did perform other tests on the Palisade. For example, the headlights (both LED and halogen) are superior to the Telluride's: LEDs were rated Good on the Palisade and Acceptable on the Telluride. The halogens were Marginal on the Palisade and Poor on the Telluride.

As to why the NHTSA's rating for the Telluride is 4/5 stars, while the IIHS's testing was rated Good across the board, no idea. Probably how it's measured. Still a very safe vehicle.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just to clarify: neither the IIHS nor the NHTSA have crash-tested the Palisade. Only the Telluride. If you read the IIHS report for the Palisade carefully, you'll see that they use the Telluride's crash test results for the Palisade.

The IIHS did perform other tests on the Palisade. For example, the headlights (both LED and halogen) are superior to the Telluride's: LEDs were rated Good on the Palisade and Acceptable on the Telluride. The halogens were Marginal on the Palisade and Poor on the Telluride.

As to why the NHTSA's rating for the Telluride is 4/5 stars, while the IIHS's testing was rated Good across the board, no idea. Probably how it's measured. Still a very safe vehicle.
I believe the reason it was rated higher was exactly because of the headlights being so much better than the Telluride's.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I believe the reason it was rated higher was exactly because of the headlights being so much better than the Telluride's.
Overall, yes. But if you look at only the crash-test results, it's 4/5 stars for the NHTSA's frontal crash rating, but all Good for the IIHS. I think that's the point that the original poster was making.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts