Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I need to take mine in for an oil change and want to have the headrest smell and the damn wind noise fixed. I’ve already had it in 3 times for the wind noise in early 2020. But finally told them to call me when there is something that actually works. It’s been pretty windy the last few weeks and my window actually whistles and is crazy loud wind noise also.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I took my Palisade in today to address the TSB. The Service Advisor called the TSB a recall, but as stated earlier it really isn't. Regardless, he has to order the parts and will complete the TSB when the parts come in. I just ope it takes care of the wind issue.
That’s what I’m saying. It may be a “campaign” for Hyundai, which means check every vehicle, as opposed to only those having the issue. As far as the dealer is concerned, very little difference between that and a recall. The TSB provides the instructions for the campaign.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
No wonder few trust dealer people. There's a HUGE difference. Recalls are 'mandatory', meaning dealers have to fix ALL affected vehicles. And most importantly, a recall has to be performed without cost to the consumer for the life of the car. A TSB (technical service bulletin), campaigns, etc., are performed at the discretion of dealers, and expire (without cost to the consumer) with the main warranty (5/60, in Hyundai's case). After warranty expiration, a TSB becomes a service visit owner has to pay for. If just past warranty, owner might get 'goodwill warranty coverage', but it's up to dealer/manufacturer to grant it.
No. There is a difference between a "campaign" and a TSB.

There are things called "campaigns" where Hyundai wants their dealers to do something on every vehicle. It is not a recall, as per the NHTSA, meaning the NHTSA does not need notified, does not need regular updates on how many cars are getting the recall, and Hyundai does not have to provide a list of VINs that have had the recall done to the NHTSA.

These "campaigns" are not the same thing as a TSB that just informs dealers on how to fix an issue if the customer reports it. They are one step above that, where Hyundai wants the dealers to do this on every car, regardless of whether the owner reports an issue. Hyundai Corporate pays for that, just as they would pay for a recall, regardless of warranty status. They are mandatory as far as Hyundai Corporate is concerned.

The point I was making is that, as far as a dealer is concerned, there is very little difference between a recall and a "campaign": it's work that they need to do on every car either way, paid for by Hyundai Corp. A lot of them call these campaigns "recalls" when talking to customers. I own 2 Hyundais and have been through this several times.

Here's an example of a "campaign" on the Palisade that was NOT an official NHTSA recall (note the word "Campaign" near the top and the note that every vehicle must get the update when they are in the shop for any maintenance or repair - in this case, it applied to all Palisade with the blind view monitor):

Here's another one for inspecting the rear sunroof on all Palisades equipped with it, which was also not an official NHTSA recall:

Now here's a TSB for vibration on AWD Palisades, which is not a campaign or a recall (note the flow chart showing that this TSB should only be followed if the customer reports a vibration problem):

The 2 campaigns above were not NHTSA recalls. But they were one step above a TSB that needs to be followed in case of a problem. The campaigns happen regardless of whether the customer reports a problem. Just like a recall. Which is why dealers call them "recalls", even though it isn't one as far the NHTSA is concerned.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just saw this on a Palisade Facebook group. Maybe we finally have a solution for the wind noise issues!
View attachment 3723 View attachment 3724
Thank you for posting this, I knew there was something else I completely forgot about. Our 2020 Palisade is in the shop now because we were driving last Saturday and the sunroof literally exploded. Hyundai is not wanting to replace this and they want us to file insurance claim which my comprehensive plan is $500. Its ridiculous because other palisade owners have already experienced the explosion, hope you dont have a sunroof.

·
Super Moderator
1,522 Posts
I don't think most of us care if it is call a TSB, campaign, or recall. As long as we can get it fixed.
The posting is listed as a TSB so the number is all we needed.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I don't think most of us care if it is call a TSB, campaign, or recall. As long as we can get it fixed.
It potentially makes a difference if you have a service center that's being particularly uncooperative, but ultimately it shouldn't make a difference.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
The posting is listed as a TSB so the number is all we needed.
Several people in this thread mentioned that the dealer used the word "recall". I simply tried to explain why they would call it that, even if that's not what it is.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the information. I had the whistling issue on my 2020 Limited that I took delivery on in April 2020. The did adjustments and I have not had that occur again. However, I had extensive wind noise from the driver's and passenger front. The Service Manager and mechanic say the noise is occurring naturally from outside passing wind around the mirrors and windows. Natural or not, I know that if it is windy outside, there is extensive wind noise. Even on low wind days, you can still here the wind, generally at highway speeds, but sometime at lower speed around town. Is anyone else experiencing the same? I'm just curious. I also wonder if the new TSB would address this issue.
It helped not perfect dealer only did drivers window

·
Registered
29 Posts
In 1998 I leased the first Mercedes ML (SUV). As the first ML model, it had numerous "first model" issues. We have since had a Mercedes as our main vehicle until the Palisade. The Palisade is a very good vehicle, but as the first model, has issues. I hope Hyundai Corporate continues to develop fixes when they occur (in a timely manner). BTW, the ML 350 also had wind issues, although not as bad as the Palisade. Mercedes refused to address it, saying it is a SUV and they have wind noise.

For those of us living in Florida and having been through a few hurricanes, my wind sounds like the wind blowing outside during a windstorm. If it is windy, I don't need to reach highway speeds. If they successfully address the wind, and I get the Bridgestone tires changed, I am a very happy camper....IJS

Who ever gets the fix done first, please report back with your assessment. I thank you all for the input and information.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Dealer did the repair on Saturday. Took it in for an inspection (for repair approval) but they either had the parts and decided to do it, or saw the other complaints (including with corporate) and took care of it. Just shy of two hours. Drivers side only. Didn't hear any whistling on the way home and the drivers side sounded a fair bit better. It's not perfect (I can still hear wind turbulence) but it's a start. I'll see if this fixes things or if I need to get the passenger side done too.
Details for those interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just saw this on a Palisade Facebook group. Maybe we finally have a solution for the wind noise issues!
View attachment 3723 View attachment 3724
If you live in the US and have this issue, this TSB may not be valid as it looks like it is from Hyundai Canada and I don’t believe that US dealers will have access to this as Hyundai USA is a separate entity. I referenced this tsb number to my dealer and it doesn’t come up in their system.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts