Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Palisade Limited AWD White/Black
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Was gratefully told about this forum! We just acquired a 21' Limted AWD and we are over the moon!

I have also been looking at some aftermarket KDM accessories, any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all! Was gratefully told about this forum! We just acquired a 21' Limted AWD and we are over the moon!

I have also been looking at some aftermarket KDM accessories, any recommendations? Thanks in advance!
Congrats! Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Glad you're happy with it, but I have a warning for you and other new Hyundai owners.

I bought my 2020 Rainforest SEL in July 2019. A year later and mice ate 18-wires, the wire harness, and the Smart Box last November 2020.

I found this out after suffering electrical problems and bringing it back to the dealership. I found out through research (not info volunteered by the dealer) the wires, wire harness, and other vital components are ALL made with SOY BEANS! SOY! It's meant to make the vehicles biodegradable, but I don't want my brand new car biodegrading while I'm driving it!

I bought tons of warranty coverage (extended and Platinum) and opted for full-coverage insurance (not comprehensive)...guess what, only comprehensive insurance covers rodent damage and if the car starts biodegrading before it's meant to, the warranties won't touch it. It's considered "an Act of God", even though they designed the vehicles to break down by means of those acts of God. Dis-gus-ting!!

Thousands of drivers across multiple manufacturers have brought lawsuits against these companies citing that the cars are "attracting rodents" with their Soy-based competent materials and wires. I paid cash for my Palisade with a trade-in and now, I don't want it anymore. I want a car that will stand the test of time, not be a biodegradable self-fulfilling prophecy a year into owning it!

I keep all my cars garaged, and of the 8 different makes and models I've owned over the past 13-years, the Palisade is the first to suffer this type of damage.

I recommend you make an appointment to speak with your dealer and ask them how to protect your smorgasbord on wheels from rodent damage. My dealer told me to use dryer sheets...seriously???? Dryer sheets under the hood of a nearly $50k car that I paid for in full? I Shouldn't have to take extra steps to protect my vehicle from Acts of God because the vehicle was designed to be systematically destroyed by those acts of God.

I'm staring at a $5,000 repair bill, only for them to replace the eaten parts with MORE edible parts! It's a vicious cycle and a nightmare I don't want. I love, love, love my Palisade....but I'm so disappointed the dealer failed to tell me it was designed to be dissolved by its environment over time. How was I supposed to know to even ask about that?

Just keep that in mind and take steps NOW to protect your investment from rodents, especially if you live near farms and woods like I do in Northeast Wisconsin.

I wish you all the best!

·
Registered
2021 Palisade Limited AWD White/Black
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad you're happy with it, but I have a warning for you and other new Hyundai owners.

I bought my 2020 Rainforest SEL in July 2019. A year later and mice ate 18-wires, the wire harness, and the Smart Box last November 2020.

I found this out after suffering electrical problems and bringing it back to the dealership. I found out through research (not info volunteered by the dealer) the wires, wire harness, and other vital components are ALL made with SOY BEANS! SOY! It's meant to make the vehicles biodegradable, but I don't want my brand new car biodegrading while I'm driving it!

I bought tons of warranty coverage (extended and Platinum) and opted for full-coverage insurance (not comprehensive)...guess what, only comprehensive insurance covers rodent damage and if the car starts biodegrading before it's meant to, the warranties won't touch it. It's considered "an Act of God", even though they designed the vehicles to break down by means of those acts of God. Dis-gus-ting!!

Thousands of drivers across multiple manufacturers have brought lawsuits against these companies citing that the cars are "attracting rodents" with their Soy-based competent materials and wires. I paid cash for my Palisade with a trade-in and now, I don't want it anymore. I want a car that will stand the test of time, not be a biodegradable self-fulfilling prophecy a year into owning it!

I keep all my cars garaged, and of the 8 different makes and models I've owned over the past 13-years, the Palisade is the first to suffer this type of damage.

I recommend you make an appointment to speak with your dealer and ask them how to protect your smorgasbord on wheels from rodent damage. My dealer told me to use dryer sheets...seriously???? Dryer sheets under the hood of a nearly $50k car that I paid for in full? I Shouldn't have to take extra steps to protect my vehicle from Acts of God because the vehicle was designed to be systematically destroyed by those acts of God.

I'm staring at a $5,000 repair bill, only for them to replace the eaten parts with MORE edible parts! It's a vicious cycle and a nightmare I don't want. I love, love, love my Palisade....but I'm so disappointed the dealer failed to tell me it was designed to be dissolved by its environment over time. How was I supposed to know to even ask about that?

Just keep that in mind and take steps NOW to protect your investment from rodents, especially if you live near farms and woods like I do in Northeast Wisconsin.

I wish you all the best!
Thanks for the reply! Not really sure how to respond lol. I'll do some research on this, thankfully we are not near a rual area.

·
Registered
2021 White Calligraphy
123 Posts

I wish you all the best!
Yeah I really wonder how common this will be and if it's truly biodegradable then yes good question on how long that lasts. But really odd story.

Back in the late 90s, I moved to ND for military and a few months into one of the most brutal winters ever, my truck started running very poorly. Took it in and sure enough 2 of the spark plug wires were chewed threw. I was told by the mechanic that sometimes common for squirrels or other rodents to crawl into warm engines and then start chewing on things. I never had another issue but that sure was odd.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
It's meant to make the vehicles biodegradable, but I don't want my brand new car biodegrading while I'm driving it!
[...]
if the car starts biodegrading before it's meant to
[...]
I want a car that will stand the test of time, not be a biodegradable self-fulfilling prophecy a year into owning it!
[...]
it was designed to be dissolved by its environment over time.
Alright... don't exaggerate. Soy-based wiring is used because it is more biodegradable than petroleum-based coatings (aka plastic). That doesn't mean that your car is slowly returning to nature while you're driving. It doesn't bio-degrade that fast.

And that's why it's not covered by the warranty: there's no defect.

Also, all car manufacturers use soy-based wiring, so that's that. Since you state that you keep your cars garaged, you might want to invest into pest-control for your garage. I assume you'd want that regardless of your issue with the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to hear about your rodent damage. A year ago a groundhog got trapped in my garage and chewed a wiring harness on my 2016 Honda Pilot. The mechanic said replacement was $1800, but he could hand splice the broken wires for $500. I filed a claim on my Comprehensive Insurance Policy and was reimbursed the full $500. Apparently some auto insurance policies cover not only damage from hitting an animal, but also damage caused by an animal.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Actually, your HOMEOWNERS insurance should cover this, as it covers anything "Act of God" inside your garage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Alright... don't exaggerate. Soy-based wiring is used because it is more biodegradable than petroleum-based coatings (aka plastic). That doesn't mean that your car is slowly returning to nature while you're driving. It doesn't bio-degrade that fast.

And that's why it's not covered by the warranty: there's no defect.

Also, all car manufacturers use soy-based wiring, so that's that. Since you state that you keep your cars garaged, you might want to invest into pest-control for your garage. I assume you'd want that regardless of your issue with the car.
You don't call rodents eating my Palisade degrading? Ridiculous. They're part of the environment, and these cars are designed to be broken down by the same. It's the first of 8 cars I've had in the same garage over a 14-year period to be eaten by rodents. Would you be interested in covering the $5,000 repair bill? Until you do, please don't downplay my experience as being "over exaggerated". The moral of my story is protect your investment from rodents before they cause damage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts