Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

New oil change interval recommendation?

18K views 37 replies 17 participants last post by  magicia3 
#1 ·
We just purchased a 2022 SEL and brought it in for our first oil change. The dealer said they recently changed their oil recommendations to change at 5000 miles. Does this mean the first oil change or for every oil change after the first? My wife took the car in so I’m not sure what they told her exactly.
Anyone experience this?

#2 ·
Just took my Pali in yesterday for its first oil change. I just noticed this morning on the reminder sticker they placed on the windshield that it indicates next change in 5,000 miles. I plan to contact the dealership on this to understand how this affects the extended warranty maintenance requirements.

#6 ·
Exactly! Also, for 99% of owners it’s going to be harsh environment by default. Why? Because even if you drive once a short trip you have harsh environment. If you ever drove once in cold weather you have harsh environment. If you ever idle more than 60sec (even just trying to warm up car or install updates lol) you are considered operating in harsh environment.
That’s the catch 22 in fine print in manual. The rest is semantics.

#5 ·
7500 miles or one year, whichever comes first. With todays engines and oil you don't need to let the dealer talk you into anything more then that. Some will still go with the 3,000 as that as that is what they grew up with but is not needed today.

#10 ·
Thanks all for your replies. I took a look at the manual (not sure why I didn’t to begin with) and it says 5K for ‘severe’ conditions. I’ll stick with that. Not sure where I got the 3000 or even 3750 recommendation. It might have been our salesman at the time of purchase.

#19 ·
It all depends on your type of use. However, beware that dealers are always trying to get you to change early and use up your "free" oil changes and tire rotations. Best bet if to follow the manual's recommendation which is that in less than severe use is change every 7,500 miles.

#21 ·
I looked at my MyHundai account and the Platinum Warranty that I purchased from Crystal, also gives me free maintenance for the 10 years. Can anyone verify that they have that also with the plan from Crystal?

#29 ·
Go by the book, bearing in mind that your Palisade "spies" on your driving habits for the purpose of determining normal vs. severe maintenance schedule. Run time, idle time, # of engine starts, distance and other statistics which determine maintenance frequency are constantly being logged and reported to Hyundai.

The only dealer recommendations I take seriously are of a regional nature (ie: annual brake maintenance in areas that use road salt), assuming they can be done by the owner at low cost. Paying dealer shop rates for "optional" work is less likely to pay for itself over time.

#31 ·
I have a 2021 Pali coming up on a year now.. My dealer has recommended 5000 miles from the getgo. The Hyundai service deal covers every 7000 to 7500 miles. I changed the oil myself at 3000 miles the first time.. I think it is important to get that break in period oil out before 5000 or 7500 miles. So first oil change was 3000, then 7000 under the Hyundai service deal. Now it will be every 5000 miles. If you keep your cars for any length of time changing oil is one of the best things you can do for longevity.

#32 ·
I had my first oil change completed last month at 3,067 miles as I will never drive 7500 miles in a year so I change yearly as I have four vehicles. When I went in for my maintenance the service guy told me I wasn't even close to my oil change. I pointed out where the manual stated 7500 miles or one year whichever comes first. I told them that I wasn't waiting three years to change my oil. They now have me on a special yearly schedule as I will never meet 7500 miles a year.

#33 ·
Complimentary maintenance goes by the normal schedule:

Hyundai vehicles that are eligible for Hyundai Complimentary Maintenance receive no-cost oil changes and tire rotations (at normal factory scheduled intervals for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first) performed by Hyundai-trained technicians at normal service intervals (see vehicle owner’s manual for applicable maintenance intervals). Hyundai Complimentary Maintenance includes:

· Engine oil and filter changes using Hyundai genuine oil filters and Quaker State oil
· Tire rotations to ensure even tire wear
MyHyundai | Complimentary Maintenance (hyundaiusa.com)

#34 ·
You can't change oil too often. That said synthetic oil today is the only way to go. We bought a service contract and have had no problem changing oil ever 3500 miles, all is good. This is from a former Auto shop teacher who hasn't have a car engine die ever! 200,000 is common and still running strengthen traded/ sold.

#35 ·
And that may have been the way to do it 20 years ago, but modern oil, even the synthetic blends, last much longer than the old oils. Offering advice based on old information is like telling me I should warm up the engine before I leave in the morning to give the carburetor time to warm up.

There's a couple of guys on Youtube that compare old vs newer oils and show the difference. There's a reason manufacturers have lengthened their service time on oil.

#37 ·
I was chummy with a top level Honda engineer for a bit and picked his brain clean being a former mechanical engineer myself. I asked his thoughts on changing the initial oil fill early and he said don't do it, they really want at least 5,000 miles on the initial oil.

They don't use any special break-in oil but the engine assembly paste is full of molybdenum that mixes in the oil and helps polish all the surfaces.

I asked if there's any concern about metal flakes, he said no there's very little and that's what the filter is for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.