Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states, today I am 3 weeks without my 11 month old palisade limited. Issues started happening around 5k miles when I experienced the car stalling when coming to a stop. Took it in and I was told the engine oil was extremely low. They changed the oil and topped it off. Since that first oil change I watched the oil level pretty frequently. After about 1500 miles I was about 2 quarts low and frustrated. I scheduled another service appointment and after finding the oil level another quart low, they didn't like the sound that was coming from the engine and wanted to run more tests. After doing some additional tests they determined something indeed is wrong with the engine and submitted the claim to Hyundai for a new engine replacement. As of today that claim is approved and now we wait for a new engine to arrive. I'm in a weird position where I still love the palisade and stand by my decision, but can't help but feel let down by the brand. In oregon I may be able to persue a lemon law claim due to the car more than likely being out more than 30 days. But not sure if that is the best action. There really is no car in this price range (telluride not included) that has all the features of my 2020 limited palisade. Was this just bad luck? Or should I switch to a brand with higher reliability like toyota highlander. What's your thoughts

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you like the car, stay with it. Isn't that partly why we purchased the Palisade? For it's warranty? I purchased a jeep Cherokee and had the engine replaced around 4,000 miles. It didn't bother me in the least. The oil pump wasn't doing it's job.
Bob

·
Registered
198 Posts
A friends then brand new 2013 F150 needed the engine replaced within a couple months. As I recall the cab had to be removed from the frame to complete the job. He too thought he might have got a lemon. It’s been an excellent vehicle since that time. This can happen with any auto manufacturer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just bad luck, I'm sure a bad engine is produced once in awhile.
Sorry but glad you got it instead of me LOL
Did Hyundai give you a loaner?
They should have
Yeah, I've had a loaner for the last few weeks. It's a base Sante Fe. I definitely miss the palisade every time I have to drive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ideally Hyundai would have given you a new car, replaced the engine on your car and then either put it out as a demonstrator, or sold it as a certified car.
I'd love it if they would do that. I'm just going to wait for the car to eclipse 30 days of service to pass by before I begin talking about lemon laws. They have a right to fix it and return to me. It's been 25 days so far and I don't think they have even received the new engine from the manufacturer. I can see if being a few more weeks of out of service.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same exact issue on my Palisade SEL. I was pursuing the lemon law but once Hyundai found out about it they offered to let me trade it in for a 2021. I only had a 9 dollar difference in monthly payment. Sadly, it just is not the same. I feel like the new one drives the same way and struggles while switching gears. My advice to you would be to go with another brand. While it is a pretty car, it is poorly made

·
Registered
599 Posts
While it is fortunate, I hope the manufacturer and dealership didn’t give you the usual run around, looks like they are taking care of the situation and honoring their warranty. I’ve been with Hyundai brand for a while (Sonata, Santa Fe, Genesis) and they have pretty awesome cars. If I am in the market, they will be my first choice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
At first I was unsure about the quality of Hyundai. Now I'm begining to lose faith in their service and taking care of their customers. I'm at 6 weeks in service right now and still don't have a good idea when it will be complete. Even if the car is fixed properly and doesn't have future issues I've been really let down by the service department. They don't provide regular updates unless I call and hound them. Buying the most expensive car Hyundai makes seams nice, but you are still stuck with the service of a lesser auto manufacturer. I'm really considering switching to a toyota highlander hybrid when this is all done.

·
Registered
262 Posts
At first I was unsure about the quality of Hyundai.... Buying the most expensive car Hyundai makes seams nice, but you are still stuck with the service of a lesser auto manufacturer....
That's my concern, though thankfully I've had no issues.

Coming from luxury brands before, I hope my local dealerships are better...

This was my concern too when I was considering a Kia Stinger...

·
Registered
673 Posts
I've had some crappy experiences with Toyota dealer service too in the past. It all comes down to the individual service center and who is managing it at the time, and his/her expectations placed on the employees.

I've had good experience with two Hyundai dealer service centers, but unfortunately both of them have closed. The last visit I had with a the nearest Hyundai dealer service center was with my Palisade, and I was not happy with their service or treatment towards me.

So what I'm saying is I feel your pain, but I wouldn't guarantee you to find any better treatment from a Toyota dealer. It's a crap shoot.

·
Registered
198 Posts
All, with respect to the lemon law and expected timelines for a manufacturer to resolve. I think we all have to remember that these are exceptional times. Its literally a logistics nightmare for many companies globally and the auto industry is far from exempt. It’s very unfortunate for individuals that are caught up with warranty issues however this is not a Hyundai- only issue. When I was looking at vehicles last summer I looked at the Highlander. The salesperson wouldn’t even price a trailer hitch because it was not available and there was no estimate as to when one would be available. Engine replacements in basically a new vehicle is a very rare event and statistically will occur with all manufacturers. If you did a thorough search you will likely find a new Toyota Highlander owner who is in the exact same predicament as you are.

I also personally don’t think the expected lemon law timelines will carry the same weight in these times. On a related note Honda North America just posted that they would temporarily halt production in all of their North American plants starting March 18. These truly are exceptional times.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yes, the Honda spokesperson stated availability of parts, congestion at major seaports, COVID challenges, chip shortage as the main reasons. It appears it is going to be for a one week duration.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I also personally don’t think the expected lemon law timelines will carry the same weight in these times.
In the US, the time lines are dictated by federal law. There isn't a "30 days except when it's inconvenient to the manufacture" exemption in the law.

I'm all for being flexible, but when you're sitting at 6+ weeks with no end in sight, it's time to start using the tools in your arsenal to get some resolution.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yeah, I don't buy the unexpected times argument. Where there's a will, there's a way...

Look at this Florida case that got lemon law'd from the smelly headrests!

MotorBiscuit: Hyundai Palisade With Smelly Headrests Gets Bought Back Thanks to Lemon Law.

I may just switch out my 2020 for a 2021 Calligraphy 😜

·
Registered
198 Posts
S axman and Starship, lets agree to disagree. I read about the Florida case recently ....wasn’t there 3 attempts by Hyundai to fix the issue without success? In that case that is exactly why the Lemon Law was successful. In this case, this is the OP‘s first attempt. Not exactly why Lemon Law regs were established.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts