Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if you can bypass shifting the palisade into drive from neutral when at a automatic car wash? Usually at the very end of the wash, you shift the car back in Drive and drive off. Doing this with the palisade seems impossible.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just tap the brake and shift into D. Pretty sure no shifting from P or N unless brake pedal is momentarily depressed.
Rusty

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Every car that I've owned I can shift from N to D without hitting the brake. I just ask because I don't want to hit the brake and the car that's right behind me coming out of the wash hits the rear.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I sometimes coast down large hills in N and switch to D while in motion without hitting the brake. So I can confirm you can do it without hitting the brake.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I was just in N on a level street and tried to go into D but got a warning displayed that the brake pedal must be depressed in order to go into drive gear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same question/issue. I have to quickly tap the brake pedal to put into Drive when coming out of the car wash and I don't like it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's just one of those safety features they programmed to prevent the car from driving off if the D button was unintentionally pressed. Same thing happens on my MDX. N to D does not work below 5mph unless you have the brake pressed. You get used to it. The car behind wont hit you in the half second you're stationary

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just remember to turn the Auto Hold off when going to the automatic car wash. I had the car in neutral with the auto hold engaged and the roller that drags the car through the wash slid under my car twice. I felt like an idiot for about 20 seconds but at least my car is sweet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Does anybody know if you can bypass shifting the palisade into drive from neutral when at a automatic car wash? Usually at the very end of the wash, you shift the car back in Drive and drive off. Doing this with the palisade seems impossible.
I read the manual before my first attempt at taking my Palisade through my local automatic car wash. I realized that this would be an issue. I went to a local school parking lot before hand and discovered that you do not need to depress the brake pedal to a full stop to shift from N to D. That said, I still screwed up on my first visit to the car wash an tried to press the D button before touching the brake pedal.

I just went back to the school parking lot and discovered a couple of things:

1. If the Palisade is rolling, and you don't touch the brake, you can shift from D to N. Without touching the brake you can shift directly from N to D.

2. If the Palisade has been stopped using your brake, and you shift from D to N, you get a notice that you have to put on your brake to shift from N to D. So you need to touch the brake then D.

So, for my next visit to the automatic car wash (I'm going to up my blood pressure meds) and try #1 above. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
55 Posts
It has to do with the current speed of the vehicle. Too slow or stopped, and you can't shift from N to D without hitting the brake pedal. Driving at normal speeds, you can shift from D to N & back to D without touching the brake pedal. I've used this feature when going down long steep grades (switch to Neutral & back to Drive) to improve gas mileage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It has to do with the current speed of the vehicle. Too slow or stopped, and you can't shift from N to D without hitting the brake pedal. Driving at normal speeds, you can shift from D to N & back to D without touching the brake pedal. I've used this feature when going down long steep grades (switch to Neutral & back to Drive) to improve gas mileage.
Thank you KnotGillty. I'll do some further investigation before I go back to my car wash.

·
Registered
664 Posts
fun fact for the day?

it's actually illegal to coast down a hill in Neutral, at least ink California:

CVC 21710 states that “the driver of a motor vehicle when traveling on down grade upon any highway shall not coast with the gears of such vehicle in neutral.” ...

And no, I don't care if you coast in Neutral trying to save gas. I just posted this as one of those little known factoids...

🙃

·
Registered
25 Posts
Both BMW's that I owned did this. I would tell the attendant at the carwash to warn them and they usually left a space between me and the person behind me.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I use the automatic wash at least once a week. It's just a quick tap to allow you to shift. Less than a second. Car behind you won't hit you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts