Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m preparing to purchase a top trim level of either the new 2020 Highlander, Pilot, Subaru Ascent or possibly the Palisade.

Here is my dilemma. I test drove the Palisade and really like it. But, I’m nervous about buying the brands based on past less than stellar reliability and reputation, as well as a depreciation level higher than some of the Japanese brands, e.g., Toyota and Subaru. Yet, both CR and JD Power are rating the brands high. I keep my vehicles for a long time (8-12 years) so overall quality and long-term reliability are critical to me. The 2020 Toyota Highlander would be a safe choice but really like the Palisade.

For those of you who have owned either Hyundia or Kia or an extended period of time, have you been pleased with reliability? I know there is a good warranty but I don’t want to be in the shop a lot. :) Any comments will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I drove Toyota, Kia, and Hyundai previously. Kia Forte, Hyundai Sonata, and Toyota Corolla/Camry to be exact. Hyundai/Kia Sedan lines have been in development for now more than 2 decades, and they are as reliable as it gets. I would most definitely trust them with their Sedans. I'm about to purchase Palisade as well, and since I have not had a single problem with Sonata / Forte yet, I assume I wouldn't have problems with Palisade either. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’m preparing to purchase a top trim level of either the new 2020 Highlander, Pilot, Subaru Ascent or possibly the Palisade.

Here is my dilemma. I test drove the Palisade and really like it. But, I’m nervous about buying the brands based on past less than stellar reliability and reputation, as well as a depreciation level higher than some of the Japanese brands, e.g., Toyota and Subaru. Yet, both CR and JD Power are rating the brands high. I keep my vehicles for a long time (8-12 years) so overall quality and long-term reliability are critical to me. The 2020 Toyota Highlander would be a safe choice but really like the Palisade.

For those of you who have owned either Hyundia or Kia or an extended period of time, have you been pleased with reliability? I know there is a good warranty but I don’t want to be in the shop a lot. :) Any comments will be appreciated.
I’ve had 2 Kia’s and a Hyundai Accent and have never had issues with performance on any of them, I drive my First Sorento for 391,000 miles without any problems at all, it would have been more miles if some had not T-Boned me, my accent went to my kid after I drove it for 6 years

·
Registered
3 Posts

In the 13 years, I have owned 5 Hyundai products, 2006 Sonata LX, 2009 Genesis 4.6 V8 (First one sold in GA), 2013 Genesis R-Spec V8, 2015 Genesis V8, 2016 3.8 Genesis Ultimate, with 10 year bumper to bumper extended warranty with each one of them. Fortunately I never needed to use that warranty, not even once.

Prior to that I was also very much into German name plates for my weekend cars, and Japanese for every day driving. in the the last 13 years, I never looked back once...

My 2004 Isuzu SUV with more than 150k miles will be without a doubt be replaced by Palisade or a telluride without even bothering too much about the competition...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Another thought to add, It might be useful to checkout the “JD Power 2018 Highest Quality rating by brand”, to dispel some of the (old) stigma associated with the brand...
They are not quite number one, but since Hyundai owns the other two name plates....;)

(Sorry, I am unable to post direct URLs as I have just joint the form)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks to everybody who weighed in here. I’ve been driving my Toyota 4 runner 19 years and going strong, but my husbands Mazda died so we needed to buy a new car. We were looking at all the same models: Pilot, Highlander, Ascent, and we stumbled across the Palisade and fell in love! We drive our cars until they die and maybe I’m being overly optimistic, but seeing as my 4 runner has and is lasting so long and we aren’t expecting to put too many miles on it, I’m hoping to get 20 years out of the Palisade. So of course my concerns are reliability too. We decided in the end that for the amount of things you get for the price, we would take our chances on the Pallisade. All the info I read said Hyandai has improved a lot over the years and it’s encouraging to hear all the previous Hyandai owners comments here 😊

·
Registered
5 Posts
I saw white and silver in person for the first time yesterday, and wow, do they look good. The white is stunning. Unfortunately 3 of the 4 white Palisades on the lot already had chips or scratches of their paint. 2 with a half inch plus scrape line on the rear quarterpanel. I tried to rub it off with water but it was an indented line, definitely a scratch. I've also seen a black with 2 chips on the passenger door about an inch from the back edge of the door. At least the black paint disguised it more.

I also noticed on the white Palisades that the paint on the mirror is a slightly more creamy and sparklier than the body paint. Seems odd that they don't exactly match.

The dealer also had a black and a moonlight cloud. It was a very sunny afternoon but the blue was a disappointment. Couldn't see it that much, more of a dark blueberry or blackberry.

So bottom line, my only major concern with the Palisade is how the paint will hold up. I'm probably only going to go with black or gray, if I do get one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My first Hyundai, and I had similar questions. Although I sat real hard and thought back to all of my previous cars, and the issues each and everyone had. I always get the scheduled maintenance and regular oil changes done, and at the dealer no less. I had transmissions problems with two different Honda Accords, I also had a Subaru Forester and Mazda CX-9, both with all sorts of random failures, such as window motors, power locks, bad bushings, rear differential issues. Weird sounds and creaks. None of those vehicles ever had more than 85k miles on them. I'd like to believe I don't drive my vehicles too hard!

I think sometimes it's just luck of the draw with cars, and how well you treat them. I'm sure some brands are statistically more reliable than others, but every brand has it's problem vehicles/platforms/random issues as well. At least with the Hyundai the warranty is very good!

·
Registered
12 Posts

Look at the April Issue of Consumer reports. (car issue) reviews are done by owners.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts