Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...at least not at any point in time that they can identify for me. I have a 2020 Palisade Limited. In early April, when the rear gate was lifting, there was a loud noise and the right rod completely exploded. The internal spring burst out of the plastic enclosure that surrounds it. I then attempted to make an online appointment with the selling Hyundai dealer in Franklin, TN. Their system can't complete the appointment. So then I do an online chat and am told someone will call back to confirm the appointment time that I wanted. Nobody ever called. After a couple of days I called in to make the appointment. I was routed to a lady (probably working from home, based on the baby crying in the background) who said that they weren't accepting "my kind" of appointments until June 10 - a 7 week delay before they would even look at it.

So, super-frustrated, I then turned to the next closest Hyundai dealer in Nashville. I scheduled an online appointment for my vehicle to be picked up. The day came and went and nobody ever showed up. I called to complain but got sent to voicemail. My message was never returned. Then I went through the same process again, but this time, the day before, I called the service department to verify that they would pickup the car this time. Again, no one showed. I emailed the manager of the dealership. I never got a reply.

Giving up on the vehicle pickup, I set a service appointment and this time I took my Palisade in. They accepted it - success! Not really. Two hours later I was told that the replacement parts needed weren't available. And no one knows when they'll be available. So, sir - you just need to wait.

My previous car was a 4 door sedan. I bought a Palisade so that I could transport items for my business. I can no longer do that. When you buy a new car with its related warranty, you are purchasing the use and utility of that vehicle. If I can no longer use it as I need (within the warranty period), then I'm not getting what I paid for. To my way of thinking, Hyundai needs to do one of 3 things:
1.) Fix my vehicle under warranty;
2.) Provide a replacement/loaner until mine can be fixed;
3.) Take the car back and refund my purchase price

Is that unreasonable?

·
Registered
18 Posts
...at least not at any point in time that they can identify for me. I have a 2020 Palisade Limited. In early April, when the rear gate was lifting, there was a loud noise and the right rod completely exploded. The internal spring burst out of the plastic enclosure that surrounds it. I then attempted to make an online appointment with the selling Hyundai dealer in Franklin, TN. Their system can't complete the appointment. So then I do an online chat and am told someone will call back to confirm the appointment time that I wanted. Nobody ever called. After a couple of days I called in to make the appointment. I was routed to a lady (probably working from home, based on the baby crying in the background) who said that they weren't accepting "my kind" of appointments until June 10 - a 7 week delay before they would even look at it.

So, super-frustrated, I then turned to the next closest Hyundai dealer in Nashville. I scheduled an online appointment for my vehicle to be picked up. The day came and went and nobody ever showed up. I called to complain but got sent to voicemail. My message was never returned. Then I went through the same process again, but this time, the day before, I called the service department to verify that they would pickup the car this time. Again, no one showed. I emailed the manager of the dealership. I never got a reply.

Giving up on the vehicle pickup, I set a service appointment and this time I took my Palisade in. They accepted it - success! Not really. Two hours later I was told that the replacement parts needed weren't available. And no one knows when they'll be available. So, sir - you just need to wait.

My previous car was a 4 door sedan. I bought a Palisade so that I could transport items for my business. I can no longer do that. When you buy a new car with its related warranty, you are purchasing the use and utility of that vehicle. If I can no longer use it as I need (within the warranty period), then I'm not getting what I paid for. To my way of thinking, Hyundai needs to do one of 3 things:

Is that unreasonable?
Totally unreasonable on most items. Firstly pick up a phone and book an appointment. It’s a pandemic. Parts are hard to come by everywhere not just Hyundai. It’s a pandemic. Lastly its a lift shock relax. Did I mention it’s a pandemic ??

·
Super Moderator
1,663 Posts
This is the first I've heard of a Hyundai dealership offering vehicle pickup from our home.
They sure will bring one to your home, trying to sell you one.
Cal a lemon law attorney, you don't pay them If they agree with you and take the case
Hyundai will have to pay them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Totally unreasonable on most items. Firstly pick up a phone and book an appointment. It’s a pandemic. Parts are hard to come by everywhere not just Hyundai. It’s a pandemic. Lastly its a lift shock relax. Did I mention it’s a pandemic ??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If they only want to take appointments over the phone - that's fine. But don't accept an appointment over the web and then fail to show. And the second no-show was verified over the phone.
And as for the pandemic excuse, there has to be limitations on that at some point. This is a 2020 model, bought in late 2019. Parts should have been stocked well before the pandemic ever began.

·
Registered
2021 Calligraphy FWD due late April
175 Posts
Hey OP, at least on my 2021 Calligraphy (should be the same as the Limited IMO), the right strut (when viewed from the rear, with the liftgate open) is just a regular pneumatic one, like the ones on the hood. The power one is the left side (which has a connector, a rubber sleeve, and it's a lot thicker). It should be super easy to find a replacement pneumatic strut, and it shouldn't cost more than $50 tops. If you don't see a connector, it's just a cheap, pneumatic strut. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
123 Posts
This is the first I've heard of a Hyundai dealership offering vehicle pickup from our home.
They sure will bring one to your home, trying to sell you one.
Cal a lemon law attorney, you don't pay them If they agree with you and take the case
Hyundai will have to pay them.
Most local TV stations in larger markets have some sort of "consumer affairs" reporters. See if someone in Nashville TV has one and make an appt to sit down and explain your case. No one wants to be on the 6 O'Clock news.

·
Super Moderator
1,663 Posts
Have you contacted the hyundai customer service yet.
The number is in the users manual

·
Registered
2021 Caligraphy Palisade AWD - White ext / Brown int
80 Posts
As far as your options:
1.) Fix my vehicle under warranty; - They will when the part is available. "Two hours later I was told that the replacement parts needed weren't available. And no one knows when they'll be available."
2.) Provide a replacement/loaner until mine can be fixed; - Some car dealers do this, usually higher end lines like BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, etc. Unless there is a specific Hyundai dealership that provides this perk, your not going to have this as a gratis option for a broken strut for the rear hatch.
3.) Take the car back and refund my purchase price - No lemon law attorney or dealership will give you the time of day for a broken strut for the rear hatch, especially when this is the first issue you have had with it. Now if your transmission failed multiple times in a row, then you start having yourself a case. Another this is lemon laws are specific on a state by state basis.

Bottom line: Sounds like you're overreacting. Yes, due to the pandemic which has screwed up a good many things and car dealerships are one of those things. Yes, YOU are inconvenienced based on what YOU were using the vehicle for. However, this issue does not render the vehicle inoperable. It will still drive and function normally for 99.999% of people who purchase this vehicle. The other option is to use the rear hatch as it still has other operabler strut and work with that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I totally understand your frustration. Yes, we are in a pandemic but sorry or no communication from dealer is unacceptable. If you are a previous Toyota customer and now a Hyundai customer, the difference is mind blowing, pandemic or not. Twice I have waited at dealer for an oil change and tire rotation for 3 hours! And that’s with an appointment. Speaking of appointments, I have been unable to schedule online. Tried calling, No One answers the phone! Each time, they tell me they are short handed. Really?.. communication with the service department is nonexistent. Hey Hyundai, great cars, sorry dealer service. Step it up or your customers will buy something else.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Is that unreasonable?
I don’t understand why you kept calling various dealerships and not Hyundai USA directly. And you could have asked to escalate this issue. Or did I missed that in the post?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts