Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
I thought you just plug one end of the cable to your OBD port and the other end to your dash cam (wherever it's mounted). You may need to "hide" the cable for a cleaner look, but that should be it. A thing to keep in mind is will the dash cam continue to draw power from the OBD port when the engine is OFF.

·
Registered
2022 AWD Calligraphy, Hyper White Exterior with Light Beige Interior
288 Posts
I thought you just plug one end of the cable to your OBD port and the other end to your dash cam (wherever it's mounted). You may need to "hide" the cable for a cleaner look, but that should be it. A thing to keep in mind is will the dash cam continue to draw power from the OBD port when the engine is OFF.
Wire it into the mirror and done correctly it will power off when you shutdown.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wire it into the mirror and done correctly it will power off when you shutdown.
I did that on my last car with a dongle. It’s a plus g and play but the tech at the Hyundai had a fit and tried to void the whole electrical system because he said the electrical system is too sensitive
From what I am reading the OBD will power when engine is off and I will need to put dashcam in parking mode to keep it from draining my battery. I still trying to verify this

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, that is what I am still trying to verify

·
Registered
2021 Palisade Calligraphy AWD
790 Posts
You can always use the fuse panel.
Rectangle Font Yellow Material property Parallel

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm thinking OBD should be fine. Just make sure that when the dash cam is in Parking Mode, there is an auto shut-off (for the camera) when the battery reaches a certain level so the car doesn't die.

Side bar: which dash cam do you have?

·
Registered
2023 Calligraphy FWD Moonlight/Black
9 Posts
The OBD2 on the '23 is always powered. You'll want to use a camera that has voltage cutoff and/or timer to power down in parked mode based on voltage levels so you don't end up with a dead battery.

I just finished installing a Blackvue DR900x, but I hardwired it to the fuse panel using two of the spare 10A ports.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The OBD2 on the '23 is always powered. You'll want to use a camera that has voltage cutoff and/or timer to power down in parked mode based on voltage levels so you don't end up with a dead battery.

I just finished installing a Blackvue DR900x, but I hardwired it to the fuse panel using two of the spare 10A ports.
Thank you. According to Vantrue, my N4 has a Parking mode and is only activated with movement and has a low power shut down to prevent draining the battery so this is just what I want. Thank you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm thinking OBD should be fine. Just make sure that when the dash cam is in Parking Mode, there is an auto shut-off (for the camera) when the battery reaches a certain level so the car doesn't die.

Side bar: which dash cam do you have?
According tho the manufacturer that is what this camera has and they have the OBD power cord for my model Thank you

·
Registered
2022 Palisade Essential trim. Typhoon Silver
444 Posts
Thank you. According to Vantrue, my N4 has a Parking mode and is only activated with movement and has a low power shut down to prevent draining the battery so this is just what I want. Thank you.
Bit of a misnomer the is only activated with movement The camera is actually on (while powered) but only records the video when it detects movement. I have never found a reference to how much more power is required to "record" versus just monitoring but it is drawing power all the time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bit of a misnomer the is only activated with movement The camera is actually on (while powered) but only records the video when it detects movement. I have never found a reference to how much more power is required to "record" versus just monitoring but it is drawing power all the time.
Yep but it’s minimal and according to Vantrue, it has a safety to shut off power if battery falls below a certain level. Someone also also said you have to at least start your car daily or drive it. There is also a power button so I will check to see if just turning it off will work when I have it parked in the garage

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wired my radar detector to the mirror, easy and my dealer had nothing to say.
RIGHT? I have never had a problem with that until my Hyundai. I was told the electrical harness there above the mirror is too sensitive or something like that and it voided my warranty. Of course I was shown that was illegal. There is a law that protects us. They have to prove the additions caused the problem first

·
Registered
2022 AWD Calligraphy, Hyper White Exterior with Light Beige Interior
288 Posts
RIGHT? I have never had a problem with that until my Hyundai. I was told the electrical harness there above the mirror is too sensitive or something like that and it voided my warranty. Of course I was shown that was illegal. There is a law that protects us. They have to prove the additions caused the problem first
Hasn’t effected anything in my Calligraphy, the radar detector and everything else works perfectly. here’s where you can find details on voiding of warranty; The saving grace for consumers is the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states that a dealer must prove that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hasn’t effected anything in my Calligraphy, the radar detector and everything else works perfectly. here’s where you can find details on voiding of warranty; The saving grace for consumers is the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states that a dealer must prove that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage. Hope this helps.
Excellent. This is what I got to stand my ground. Mine worked perfectly but the tech guy refused to look further so I left snd figured out the original problem and had when. Took my car in. Thank you

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Palisade Limited - Steel Graphite/Black
18 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts