Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i purchased my 2020 Hyundai palisade SEL in Sept 2019 and I love it...until today.
A little background..when i bought it, as Im getting in it, it was THEN that the dealership decided to tell me that it didnt come with Sirius...or much of anything else in that navigation thing. I was so in love with the truck that i said "eh..I'll just use Google music!" After that I realized it doesn't have a GPS. what? Ok...disappointed yes, but again, I thought "eh, I'll just use Google maps" Well, today when I went to use Google maps for the 1st time it didn't work. Kept telling "cannot connect". I got lost today which lead to a full on anxiety attack. Its 2020 and I have a brand new vehicle that i got lost in today because there is no GPS . Am i wrong to be pissed?
So here I am sulking..lol yes sulking, because wtaf? Obviously i know there is nothing I can do about it now, but what do others do for a gps? I ended up downloading the Mapquest app, but is there a way to get that map on the screen, or is my only option to use it from my phone?
Im annoyed about this because again...its a 2020 brand new vehicle! I shouldn't have to worry about getting lost in it. I'm actually considering what my options are and seeing about exchanging it. I know..dramatic, but im so disappointed about this. Im hoping someone can make me feel better and tell me an option that i missed. Thanks.:cry:

·
Super Moderator
851 Posts
with the SEL you had to have the drive guidance package with the 10.3" navigation screen.
What do you have , the 8" screen

·
Super Moderator
851 Posts
If you are that disappointed, you might try talking to your dealership about what it would cost you to upgrade to a higher level Palisade.
Just one suggestion, set down and make a list of your must have's along with a list of like to have. Go to hyundaiusa.com select the palisade and build, then compare trims. You will find out which trim you should try for or what options you would need to add for your wants and needs.
When my wife and I started looking for a 3 row SUV we ruled out 3 out of 4 brands for not having a heads up display, my must have. Also had to have navigation. We looked for a reasonable price luxury SUV. Got the luxury SUV's off the list as they had no HUD. Most which had them were way over the price we wanted to spend.
The SUV while not everything we would like to have was there, was the Palisade. Seems none of them are perfect by our standards. So we got the limited and love it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Not to sound mean, bit Sounds to me you didn't know what you were buying and now you have no idea what you're doing.

My story was like this. I went to the dealership and test drove an SEL. It had everything I wanted and the colors too. When I was test driving it, I ask the salesman, how do I set a destination. He said there's no navigation. I was like WTF. In this day and age, a $40k car dont have navigation?! And he was like, you can use android auto or apple CarPlay. I was like hell no. What if I'm in an area with no signal? Right then and there, I went home to watch tons of videos about the vehicle and went online to forums like this to learn more. Now I have the vehicle that I want (except exterior color)

Read the manual on how to connect your phone and use android auto or apple CarPlay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol I'm aware of Android Auto. I use it for Google music, I also thought I could use Google Maps but it just doesn't work and i dont know why.
I knew what I wanted to and did a lot of research on it, but my research was more on safety, not if it has a GPS. We're all different looking at different things. They advised me the day i signed the paper that i didn't have those things. Matter of fact they told me.."Let's go out and show you how to navigate everything " As soon as she sat in the car, she was like.."Oh..I'm sorry, this one doesn't come with any of that"..and she went on to tell me about Android Auto. Sounded fine to me. Which i was ok with for the most part. Until today when Google maps decided not to work. I don't know if it was a glitch or what, as it was my 1st time using Google maps in this vehicle since I bought it. Ive used Google Maps in prior vehicles with zero issue. As a female that is scary, and we dont think that a 2020 vehicle wouldnt already come with that. It's not like a sunroof that you know is an option. Who knew having a GPS on your vehicle was an option in 2020.

·
Registered
831 Posts
lol I'm aware of Android Auto. I use it for Google music, I also thought I could use Google Maps but it just doesn't work and i dont know why.
I knew what I wanted to and did a lot of research on it, but my research was more on safety, not if it has a GPS. We're all different looking at different things. They advised me the day i signed the paper that i didn't have those things. Matter of fact they told me.."Let's go out and show you how to navigate everything " As soon as she sat in the car, she was like.."Oh..I'm sorry, this one doesn't come with any of that"..and she went on to tell me about Android Auto. Sounded fine to me. Which i was ok with for the most part. Until today when Google maps decided not to work. I don't know if it was a glitch or what, as it was my 1st time using Google maps in this vehicle since I bought it. Ive used Google Maps in prior vehicles with zero issue. As a female that is scary, and we dont think that a 2020 vehicle wouldnt already come with that. It's not like a sunroof that you know is an option. Who knew having a GPS on your vehicle was an option in 2020.
Actually, a lot less cars offer built-in navigation these days. Precisely because of CarPlay and Android Auto. So the trend is to not have nav, not the other way around.

Also, Google Maps offers a feature where you can download offline maps, so you can still use the app when you have no connection. You just need to do it ahead of time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Android Auto leaves a lot to be desired, from what I'm reading/understanding. I test drove a Limited over the weekend. Tried to connect my phone to AA and it didn't work. Tried many fixes, including uninstalling and reinstalling the app on my phone. It showed connected but didn't actually work. I wasn't all that surprised because I have been reading up on it, sooooo many people are complaining about it not connecting or working properly. I have an app on my phone called Drivemode. It's not perfect, but it's what I use in my vehicles now that don't have much in the way of technology. It plays music (via Bluetooth) from my phone and I can use Google maps from my phone. No, it doesn't project on the screen, but it at least will keep me from getting stranded. And allows me to make and receive phone calls and texts through voice commands.

I know that isn't what you were hoping to hear, but it may be an option for you until they figure out how to make Android Auto work better. It's not just this car, it's a lot of them.

·
Registered
138 Posts
When I got my SEL, I made sure I got the driver guidance package so o have native navigation. I have only tested AA in the car but never used it. I have used it in another car and it works ok.

In my opinion, AA has not met my expectations as to what I want it to do. I want real screen mirroring! Whatever I see on the phone should be mirrored on the nav screen. Now that would be awesome (and dont tell me about the safety issues...me watching youtube videos while driving... lol)

·
Registered
138 Posts
@Prettles2020 - just wanted to check if you know that in order to connect to AA, you have to use a USB wire connecting the phone to the data USB port right above the wireless charging port? I wanted to make sure you were doing that because some people thinks AA is wireless connection which is not. You are able to connect tot he car via bluetooth but that's not for AA.

Edit: rereading your OP, seems like you already know about the above. So I'm just wondering if a simple reset of the phone and reconnecting would have solve the maps issue. Also, agree with ERIC2203 about downloading google maps for offline use. I use that whenever I travel to save data cost)

·
Registered
145 Posts
As general advice, if you are buying an SEL or SE, use the first couple of days to learn as much as you can about the car. If you find that the feature you thought you had is not present on your trim, you can exchange it for a higher trim within 72 hours and get the full credit from what you paid for your car toward the new car.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Android Auto and Apple Car play can both have issues working if you're using a low quality USB cable to connect your phone to the car. Make sure you're using the cable that came with your phone. This isn't an issue caused by the car generally, but by the phone/cable. Cheap cables don't support the higher data rates needed.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sounds like there's something wrong somewhere. I also have a 2015 Kia Sedona and Android Auto works on it, my daughter has a 2020 Kia Sportage base model without any navigation and Android Auto works on it. I would echo the recommendation to use a good quality USB cable, as short as possible. I use a 12" cable. The only issue I've encountered is occasionally after connecting my phone to the USB cable Android Auto will launch but then a minute or two later I get a message "Cannot connect to phone" or something similar. Simply unplugging and reconnecting the phone corrects this and then the phone will reliably stay connected. On long trips I find myself using the car's built in navigation system for basic directions, and Waze running on Android Auto. I have the "*" button set to switch to AA so it's easy to switch back and forth. The car's navigation system shows directions on the heads up display and the Waze App on AA provides information on road conditions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's actually not true. I connect just fine wirelessly

@Prettles2020 - just wanted to check if you know that in order to connect to AA, you have to use a USB wire connecting the phone to the data USB port right above the wireless charging port? I wanted to make sure you were doing that because some people thinks AA is wireless connection which is not. You are able to connect tot he car via bluetooth but that's not for AA.

Edit: rereading your OP, seems like you already know about the above. So I'm just wondering if a simple reset of the phone and reconnecting would have solve the maps issue. Also, agree with ERIC2203 about downloading google maps for offline use. I use that whenever I travel to save data cost)

·
Registered
831 Posts
That's actually not true. I connect just fine wirelessly
Android Auto requires a wired connection to the USB port on all model year 2020 Palisades.

On model year 2021 Palisades, wireless CarPlay/AA is available on the smaller infotainment screen (without navigation). The larger infotainment screen with navigation still requires a USB connection for Android Auto.

Seeing as this thread is 6 months old, the info posted at the time was most certainly true.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2020 palisade and connect to android auto wirelessly. It plays music and navigation minus the screen without having to be connected to the USB port.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I have a 2020 palisade and connect to android auto wirelessly. It plays music and navigation minus the screen without having to be connected to the USB port.
Minus the screen? You’re talking about Bluetooth, not Android Auto. Android Auto means seeing your phone’s screen on the car’s infotainment system, reformatted and simplified for car use. You need a cable for that on a 2020 Palisade.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm just talking just android auto in general. You can still link the app wirelessly without the app. Seeing it on the screen is different but just android auto is able to connect without it being wired.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I'm just talking just android auto in general. You can still link the app wirelessly without the app. Seeing it on the screen is different but just android auto is able to connect without it being wired.
Hearing the audio from AA and using wireless android auto are two different things...

Seeing it/controlling it on the screen is what using Android auto on the car infotainment is.

·
Registered
831 Posts
That’s just Bluetooth. Wireless Android Auto would mean seeing the phone display on the screen wirelessly. That’s now possible on the 2021 Palisade without nav.

As @saxman242 points out, when someone refers to wireless Android Auto, it means the display is also projected wirelessly. Nobody refers to just the audio as being wireless Android Auto. That’s just regular old Bluetooth.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts