Super Moderator
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hyundai mapcare says new map version 14 will be available on April 20th
Also says map version 14.5 for new vehicles will be out end of July

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
How does this typically work? Do you have to pay for an update at the dealership or can you self install or do over-the-air updates?
You get 3 years of Blue Link for free when you buy a new Hyundai. One of the Blue Link packages is the Guidance package, which grants you free map updates. So map updates are free for the first 3 years. After that, you can either continue to subscribe to Blue Link by paying monthly, yearly, or for 2 or 3 years at once (which works out cheaper than monthly), or you buy the map updates stand-alone. They come out twice a year and cost $145. By comparison, a Blue Link subscription to the Guidance package (which also requires the Connected Care package, but not the Remote package) is $20/month ($10 for each package). Cheaper if you pay yearly or for longer at once, as mentioned above. At $20/month, that works out to $240/y, which is cheaper than buying 2 standalone map updates per year. So if you care about map updates because you use the built-in nav often, then I suggest getting a Blue Link subscription after the first 3 years of complimentary service.

You get the updates by going to mapnsoft.com. Pick your country and vehicle, then it will direct you to the correct page. You create an account, enter your VIN, and it will recognize whether you have an active Blue Link subscription or whether you must pay for the update. Note that it takes a few weeks after buying a new Hyundai for mapnsoft to recognize the VIN.

Updates can be downloaded or shipped to you (at a cost) via USB. You can also visit a dealer to get it done, but I don't know how that works. There is no over-the-air process. If you download it, make sure you have a big enough USB drive. They say 64GB, but 32GB is sufficient, at least for now. You then plug it into your car, which must be running to perform the update. It takes a while, but less than an hour. There are instructions on the mapnsoft website for your car, as well as documentation of new features, new data... etc.

Now about this new update, the message on mapnsoft website says this:

"MAP VERSION 14 WILL BE AVAILABLE STARTING APRIL 20TH. RECEIVE A NEW USB/SD CARD BY MAIL FOR ONLY $25 ($30 CAD) PLUS SHIPPING CHARGES.
A DOWNLOAD OPTION FOR VERSION 14.5 WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR NEWER MODELS STARTING IN JULY. "

I read this as: no download will be provided for v14. You must buy it on a USB flash drive for $25 + shipping (which is cheap enough, I suppose). I guess once the new features are documented, I will decide if it's worth getting.

If I had to guess why they're doing this, it's because of COVID-19. And that probably means that they haven't had time to validate new features. I'm guessing that the April update probably contains map updates only, and that the updated features have been pushed back to v14.5. That might explain the $25 price. But I'm speculating.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Palisade
4 Posts
They are telling you to go to update.hyundai.com to download all updates now instead but they are still updating the site and the program to download updates is not available to download yet.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I read this as: no download will be provided for v14. You must buy it on a USB flash drive for $25 + shipping (which is cheap enough, I suppose).
I read that as: If you don't want to download this and put it on your own flash drive, we'll sell you one with it already on it for $25

·
Registered
663 Posts
Ok, so we can't download this update but we can buy it? Since we all have the 3 yr free updates, does this mean we have to wait for hyundai to get their other site up and running to download our free update?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I read that as: If you don't want to download this and put it on your own flash drive, we'll sell you one with it already on it for $25
That's what they normally do. It's curious that they point out this way this time. They've never done that before that I know of. Also, the regular price is normally $145. There's something different about this update, whatever that is.
Ok, so we can't download this update but we can buy it? Since we all have the 3 yr free updates, does this mean we have to wait for hyundai to get their other site up and running to download our free update?
I have no idea. Let's see what happens on the 20th.

·
Super Moderator
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They just updated the site today and it doesn't show a way for me to download the map 14 version now, only shows the purchase usb.
I'll wait till july for the download.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
They just updated the site today and it doesn't show a way for me to download the map 14 version now, only shows the purchase usb.
I'll wait till july for the download.
Yep, same here. V14 is now showing, but it can only be shipped for $25. And the link to the new features is currently a broken link. Let's hope they fix it tomorrow.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I wrote to Hyundai, asking them why there wasn't an option to download the latest map. Here's their reply:

"Currently the V13.5 update has been suspended pending the new release of V14. We are aiming to have the update available next week, we will have shipping orders available immediately. Unfortunately download orders may not be available until the V14.5 release later this Summer, we do apologize if that causes any inconvenience."

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
BIIIIIIG NEWS, the list of features is now out and it's a huge update: https://storage.googleapis.com/mapc...14.0/pdf/Hyundai_V14_New_Map_Features_U5W.pdf
Page 2 to 15 are the updates for this new version. Later pages are updates that were in the previous version.

Of particular note: split-screen with Android Auto and Car Play. This will make a lot of people happy. I also see weather via connected services, which should solve the complaints resulting from only relying on HD radio for weather. Also, cover art on media screen and ability to show guidance at the top of the screen while viewing other screens

Other changes (besides map data):
  • Route now computed in the cloud (if connected services active)
  • New map display and easy to add POI display on map
  • Current speed shown on screen
  • Added list of world's top 1,000 best restaurants
  • Ability to show guidance at the top of the screen while viewing other screens
  • Search by distance, name or best match
  • When stopped for more than 15s, the route overview comes on
  • When searching for electric vehicle charging stations, brand icons are shown, as well as AC or DC (before anyone asks, this update is for PHEV and EV Hyundai models too, not just the Palisade, so this is why that is a documented feature)
  • Search for gas station by price (if connected services active)
  • New map color themes
  • Notification pop-up if map data older than 2 years
  • Weather info (if connected services active)
  • Alert upcoming red light cameras & alert upcoming speed cameras w/ speed limit (if connected services active)
  • Better media playback
  • Cover art on advanced GUI on media screen
  • Custom select multi-selection playback (album/artist)
  • Sound of Nature (I know the 2020 Sonata already has that)
  • Split screen with CarPlay or AA

·
Super Moderator
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The update site for mine now says update available April 27. Right up to yesterday site said April 20.
I think I will order USB when site lets me.
If anyone see's when we can place order please post

·
Registered
25 Posts
BIIIIIIG NEWS, the list of features is now out and it's a huge update: https://storage.googleapis.com/mapc...14.0/pdf/Hyundai_V14_New_Map_Features_U5W.pdf
Page 2 to 15 are the updates for this new version. Later pages are updates that were in the previous version.

Of particular note: split-screen with Android Auto and Car Play. This will make a lot of people happy. I also see weather via connected services, which should solve the complaints resulting from only relying on HD radio for weather. Also, cover art on media screen and ability to show guidance at the top of the screen while viewing other screens

Other changes (besides map data):
  • Route now computed in the cloud (if connected services active)
  • New map display and easy to add POI display on map
  • Current speed shown on screen
  • Added list of world's top 1,000 best restaurants
  • Ability to show guidance at the top of the screen while viewing other screens
  • Search by distance, name or best match
  • When stopped for more than 15s, the route overview comes on
  • When searching for electric vehicle charging stations, brand icons are shown, as well as AC or DC (before anyone asks, this update is for PHEV and EV Hyundai models too, not just the Palisade, so this is why that is a documented feature)
  • Search for gas station by price (if connected services active)
  • New map color themes
  • Notification pop-up if map data older than 2 years
  • Weather info (if connected services active)
  • Alert upcoming red light cameras & alert upcoming speed cameras w/ speed limit (if connected services active)
  • Better media playback
  • Cover art on advanced GUI on media screen
  • Custom select multi-selection playback (album/artist)
  • Sound of Nature (I know the 2020 Sonata already has that)
  • Split screen with CarPlay or AA
This is an awesome update. Especially the AA split screen! Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
At this point, I'd wait until the 27th to see if the file is available for download from the website. It's unclear if they're going to make it available for download or not.
See my post above regarding my correspondence with Hyundai. The download won't be available until July (and at the rate they're going, it'll probably be pushed out even longer than that.) The update was originally supposed to be available at the beginning of April, then on April 14, then on April 20. Now, you can only get the paid USB on April 27 (we'll see if that even happens).

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
See my post above regarding my correspondence with Hyundai. The download won't be available until July (and at the rate they're going, it'll probably be pushed out even longer than that.) The update was originally supposed to be available at the beginning of April, then on April 14, then on April 20. Now, you can only get the paid USB on April 27 (we'll see if that even happens).
Gotcha. Too many different threads on the different forums about this, so I missed your post.

That's annoying.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Gotcha. Too many different threads on the different forums about this, so I missed your post.

That's annoying.
More to the point, it’s puzzling. It’s a lot easier to put a file on a server than it is mailing USB drives. Considering what the world is going through right now, I would have expected the opposite: download only and no USB option.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts