Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just downloaded the Palisade Owner's Manual. Everything in the maintenance schedule is nearly identical to my almost 20 year old 2001 Acura MDX......ACCEPT the following 3 items:

1. Automatic transmission fluid No check, No service required
2. Rear differential oil and transfer case oil should be changed anytime they have been submerged in water
3. Fuel filter & Fuel tank air filter are considered to be maintenance free but periodic inspection is recommended for this maintenance schedule depends on fuel quality. If there are some important safety matters like fuel flow restriction, surging, loss of power, hard starting problem, etc. replace the fuel filter immediately regardless of maintenance schedule and consult an authorized HYUNDAI dealer for details.

How is it that the transmission never needs a fluid change? Is it a sealed unit preventing the change of fluid? To me that is like saying you never need to change the engine oil. I don't get it and find it hard to believe. Are transmissions these days so much better and using some kind of indestructible fluid? Changing transmission fluid every 30K miles, give or take, has been the standard with many cars for decades.....hasn't it?

·
Super Moderator
1,764 Posts
First you might see that , there is no dipstick for the new 8 speed tranny. There is no drain plug like in the old transmissions. Fluid needs to be pumped out of a fill plug on the side of transmission, lower part of transmission.
The fluid today is far superior to older fluids. The transmission filters are super long lasting because the fluid has great additives. Along with new transmission clutch pack disc which last almost for ever. The clutch disc materials were the biggest source of dirt and contaminates years ago.
Drive it and forget it transmissions unless you are going to drive it 150000 miles

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First you might see that , there is no dipstick for the new 8 speed tranny. There is no drain plug like in the old transmissions. Fluid needs to be pumped out of a fill plug on the side of transmission, lower part of transmission.
The fluid today is far superior to older fluids. The transmission filters are super long lasting because the fluid has great additives. Along with new transmission clutch pack disc which last almost for ever. The clutch disc materials were the biggest source of dirt and contaminates years ago.
Drive it and forget it transmissions unless you are going to drive it 150000 miles
Well, first thank you for the reply, but no, I do not, "see" because I do not own a Palisade but am getting more comfortable with that possibility thanks to this forum and folks like you with relevant knowledge and experience. However, you raise an interesting question: How much will it cost to replace the transmission? Sooner or later that is the prospect, although the possibility of pumping out the old fluid is there. Reminds me of the few years I owned an inboard motor boat and that is how the engine oil was changed.....you had to pump it out through the dipstick hole. Anyway, I'm now satisfied I need not worry about this issue.....besides I am so old I am very unlikely to live past the 10 year, 100K mile power train warranty. That is a BIG draw for my wife and I, being retired and needing now to be careful how we spend our fixed income. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
MDXs had huge issues with needing transmission replacements, so maybe the system Acura used isn't a good metric for how things should be done.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Based on my experience and general knowledge I picked up regarding my previous car which also had a "lifetime" transmission fluid fill, I've learned that doing a "drain and refill" (as opposed to a proper "flush" which often causes more problems than it solves; it's an important distinction to keep in mind) is still "colloquially" recommended (among owners) every 60k miles or so. Almost always in these kinds of cases, the verbiage of "lifetime" implies "lifetime of the warranty" rather than "lifetime of the car" which are two very different ranges. I fully intend to keep this car 'til the door rusts off and there are literal holes in the floor, so I might consider doing the drain-and-fill to introduce at least a portion of new fluid into the transmission at some relatively distance future.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MDXs had huge issues with needing transmission replacements, so maybe the system Acura used isn't a good metric for how things should be done.
Not sure I understand your point.....at least not regarding automatic transmissions in general. I have religiously changed my transmission fluid, at least 4 times now over its' 125,000 mile life, and have never had an issue with my transmission although I know the issue specific to the 2001 MDX to which you refer.......2nd gear was not receiving enough fluid to keep it properly lubricated. That was recognized and fixed early on by Acura in my car with the clever addition of a fluid line injecting fluid directly over that gear. Anyway, believe it or not, I am not so narrow-minded as to only consider my experience with Acura when I express my wonderment over not needing to change the transmission fluid in the Palisade. Changing fluid every 30K miles, give or take, in automatic transmissions, not just Acura, has been common place for many years. Why you decide to pick on my old car, or me, as the "metric" I used is a, "huge" puzzle to me. I have only owned a few cars, tend to keep them and maintain them for 10 plus years. "....so maybe the system Acura used isn't a good, "metric" for how things should be done." Really? How about I use BMW, Mercedes, Lexus and Infinity as my reference points for transmission fluid change intervals since I have owned all of those too? Good grief, I certainly did not expect someone on this forum to criticize me for not using a, "good metric". Makes me think being a member of this club is not such a good idea after all.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Not sure I understand your point...
The point is that things change and using the maintenance instructions of a 20 year old vehicle isn't necessary. It's no different than the people that post about making sure they do a break in oil change at 500 miles followed by religious oil changes at 3k. Things change.

With all that said, you read way more of a personal attack into my post than what was intended.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The point is that things change and using the maintenance instructions of a 20 year old vehicle isn't necessary. It's no different than the people that post about making sure they do a break in oil change at 500 miles followed by religious oil changes at 3k. Things change.

With all that said, you read way more of a personal attack into my post than what was intended.
Oh yes, I certainly know what you are saying, silly old geezers, "....the people that post about making sure they do a break in oil change at 500 miles followed by religious oil changes at 3k." Yup, people like me.....so, lets degrade them, humiliate them, make fun of them, show our superiority to them. Got it. Thanks ,may I have another, please.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Manufacturer recommended lifetime fill transmission fluid is, indeed, becoming more common. I'm sure this is primarily due to dramatically improved fluids, as mentioned above.

I would guess that another part of the calculation is fear that a fluid replacement will be done with an inferior/improper fluid, quite possibly at "quicky" lube places.

I will likely have a heart-to-heart with a service manager if I still have mine at 60 - 70,000 miles.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Oh yes, I certainly know what you are saying, silly old geezers, "....the people that post about making sure they do a break in oil change at 500 miles followed by religious oil changes at 3k." Yup, people like me.....so, lets degrade them, humiliate them, make fun of them, show our superiority to them. Got it. Thanks ,may I have another, please.
At no point did anything @saxman242 say remotely constitute as degrading or humiliating. You've got a regulation, Olympic-sized chip on your shoulders man.. you need to chillllllll

·
Super Moderator
557 Posts
well its seems like you have some sort of a chip on your shoulder nobody has degraded you or humiliated you in any way they are just giving you there opinions and facts and lighten up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts