Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just purchased a new Palisade Ultimate a week ago; our first Asian built vehicle. We traded in a 2013 Mercedes-benz GL350 for it and so far we are very pleased. One thing we noticed tho when driving at night; the headlight pattern when on low-beams, has a nice flat horizontal pattern with the exception of a black spot coming down from the top of the light pattern. When turning a corner, it is very distracting, almost like something is running across the road in front of you. Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think i noticed the same thing. The pattern dips down in the center. It doesn't bother me though. The lights are so much brighter than my previous SUV.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I agree it's really distracting, especially when turning a corner - looks like someone running across the road in front of you. Just another one of those quirks that makes you wonder what the Palisades designers were thinking of. I hope at some point someone manufactures replacement headlights that don't have the dip in them. I would change these out in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree it's really distracting, especially when turning a corner - looks like someone running across the road in front of you. Just another one of those quirks that makes you wonder what the Palisades designers were thinking of. I hope at some point someone manufactures replacement headlights that don't have the dip in them. I would change these out in a heartbeat.
I agree...very distracting and my wife, who will be the main one driving this vehicle, feels it is dangerous. Today, I took the vehicle back to our dealer and pointed it out to the service rep. He could see what I was talking about and this was the first time someone had pointed this out to him. He thought this was normal, possibly to avoid blinding oncoming drivers. I personally can't see how this triangular shaped dip would prevent that. He said to periodically check to see if there might be a recall. If anyone hears of a recall for this, please post.

·
Registered
829 Posts
It's unlikely that there will be a recall for this. Almost all projector headlights are designed with a step of some sort in the beam to stop from blinding on-coming traffic like so:

The palisade appears to have more of a v notch with the beam raised back up on each side. I imagine this has a lot to do with the lower placement of the headlights. If the headlights have been adjusted in such a way that the notch from both headlights overlap at distance, you'd see a dark spot.

It seems that this is common on several Hyundai models and that they design their lights to do this for some reason. Here is the pattern from an 18 Sonata:

The easy solution would be to just adjust the right headlight to the right a bit and the left headlight to the left so that their respective V notches don't overlap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts