Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Often when I shift to P, I get a loud beep noise for about 1-2 seconds. I can't for the life of me figure out why. Looked in the manual and couldn't find a reason. I thought maybe it was because my seat belt wasn't on or maybe because I didn't come to complete stop. But I was able to rule those out. It has happened when I've been wearing my seatbelt and when completely stopped. Anyone know what the beep is for?

·
Registered
50 Posts
The prolonged beep when shifting to park, as opposed to a brief tone, occurs when the Electronic Parking Brake automatically engages. Typically this occurs when the car senses it is being parked on enough of a slope/grade to warrant the use of the EPB.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Watch for a visual alarm on the cluster display?
I've looked and haven't seen anything. I think it may be the electronic parking brake. I will have to wait for the car to do it a few more times to confirm. But it has beeped when I've parked on flat surfaces. So we'll see.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Was the car completely stopped when selecting the park button? I know my car makes a BEEEEP!!! noise when I try to shift into reverse before coming to a complete stop. That is the one thing that I do miss about having a stick shift. With the old stick option your car can be rolling forward ever so slightly when you shift from drive to reverse....or vice versa...and you can catch the stop and immediately redirect the car into the opposite direction. With the shift by wire buttons the car needs to come to a 100% complete stop...in either direction...before accepting a gear to go the opposite direction. This is an obvious safety feature in the event a button is accidentally pressed when the car is in motion.

·
Registered
502 Posts
So having the car with Foot on break firmly and not in motion while changing between: Drive, Park, and Reverse is a safety feature on multiple fronts. Safety for the transmission and safety for car occupants ever since the days of Auto 5000 unintended acceleration law suits (root cause was pedals to close together) and people were flooring the car by accident and instead of breaking.

The Brief Tone that issues when you have held the brake long enough and successfully changed gears gets a Shift confirmation beep. This way you know you have successfully changed between Park, Reverse, and Drive. As far as doing while in motion not good for the car as above.

One last note about going into Park and the Car making a longer beepppp. Just a reminder the car makes that noise when someone with a Fob leaves the vehicle to let you know "elvis" left the building. That is the Fob that the car thinks started the car has exited the car. If there are two Fobs in the car say you and your spouse this can happen. It can also happen if say they remote start the car and you do not realize that you're driving without a fob and they leave (like say dropping them at the station). Generally this also flashes in the center display (! No Fob !)

·
Registered
126 Posts
The fob thing...yeah, I do that all the time! Still getting used to it. It usually scares the heck out of my wife and kids...who are sitting in the car while the car is running and I am either heading back into the house because we forgot something or into a store to quickly pick something up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've has the same high-pitched noise when shifting to park on my 2021. I've noticed that is does not happen when the automatic start/stop is off. Not sure why it matters, but it never happens with the automatic start/stop off.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited
176 Posts
I've has the same high-pitched noise when shifting to park on my 2021. I've noticed that is does not happen when the automatic start/stop is off. Not sure why it matters, but it never happens with the automatic start/stop off.
Surprisingly, it doesn’t appear that anyone has yet given the correct answer in this thread yet.

What is happening is you have come to a stop and pushed the brake hard enough for the ISG system to turn the engine off. Then, you shift into park, and get the long beep. That’s the car telling you it has now restarted the engine because you’ve put the car in park and the ISG system only works in drive.

That is why you never notice it making that noise when you have ISG turned off… it won’t turn off the engine, so then doesn’t have to turn it back on when you shift into park.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's quite a high-pitched noise just to alert me to something I know I did. It doesn't seem necessary to the safe operation of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2021 Calligraphy FWD due late April
243 Posts
Record the noise OP, to know what you're talking about. But I suspect is just the electric parking brake engaging, like others said. If you have 'auto hold' on, it'll automatically do it every time, so you know. If you don't have 'auto hold' engaged, it'd only do it when sensing an incline. However, even in those cases, the transmission would be holding the vehicle, not the parking brake, risking having a fault if the parking pawl cannot be retracted when selecting R or D, needing a tow. So when parking on inclines, it's best to put vehicle in N, engage parking brake, release the brake, and when vehicle is still (not moving at all), then engage P, so the parking pawl is not holding the vehicle. I don't use the parking brake in my garage, and other semi-flat surfaces, but I always gauge that by putting vehicle in N first, and see how much it rolls. If it's more than just a little bit, I use the parking brake first, to avoid an electronic shifter issue in the future. Hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts