Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! My first post and an honest question for going forward. I'm ready to buy right now and I have very specific specs that I want in my Palisade. Limited, white/cream or silver outside, tan inside, FWD, mud flaps, not too many other add-ons because I have specific needs in my weekly driving. I just can't find this car in the Houston area but I'm not opposed to going to another area if the cost of drop-shipping it to me won't be negated by the negotiated price. Is there a fee for drop-shipping? There's a ton of black/black but that's the last combo I want in Texas. A dealer about 3 hours away had one with a $2k mark-up. Maybe I'm expecting too much in getting what I want plus a good price? I don't have to buy it right now. I have a Sienna that I think I'll sell on my own rather than using it as a trade-in because it's almost paid off. I'll want to finance and then dump a chunk of change into the balance after the term starts.

I've been reading about some of your great deals and am wondering if I'm just not asking the right questions? Admittedly, I'm not the best at negotiating. The husband says I come off as a hard-ass but I see it as knowing what I want.

I'd welcome some real feedback. Should I just wait until there's more inventory around me when the shipments start coming in? Is there a tutorial that I can use to run the negotiation by email? I've bought through Costco for my last 4-5 new vehicles so I don't really know what I'm doing anymore. I have a Hyundai dealership probably 3 miles from me but they have 4 SELs and none that come close to fitting my criteria. They're trying to push the Tucsons and Santa Fes hard.

Thoughts, suggestions, tutorial links?

·
Super Moderator
792 Posts
I'm in Glendale,AZ and know what you mean about not wanting Black/black.
Around here the dealers are charging about$1.00 per mile to bring a car in from another location.
I think they may drive it here???
Have you checked hyundaiusa.com?
Build the palisade the way you want then look for all inventory, you can also change the distance from you after you do the all inventory thing.
I liked the silver but can't get the beige interior in that color so we got a White limited Htrac with Beige interior.
There are several for sale in the Phoenix area. Think most dealers here are staying the msrp price. You might even get a deal because of slow sales

·
Registered
731 Posts
Hello! My first post and an honest question for going forward. I'm ready to buy right now and I have very specific specs that I want in my Palisade. Limited, white/cream or silver outside, tan inside, FWD, mud flaps, not too many other add-ons because I have specific needs in my weekly driving. I just can't find this car in the Houston area but I'm not opposed to going to another area if the cost of drop-shipping it to me won't be negated by the negotiated price. Is there a fee for drop-shipping? There's a ton of black/black but that's the last combo I want in Texas. A dealer about 3 hours away had one with a $2k mark-up. Maybe I'm expecting too much in getting what I want plus a good price? I don't have to buy it right now. I have a Sienna that I think I'll sell on my own rather than using it as a trade-in because it's almost paid off. I'll want to finance and then dump a chunk of change into the balance after the term starts.

I've been reading about some of your great deals and am wondering if I'm just not asking the right questions? Admittedly, I'm not the best at negotiating. The husband says I come off as a hard-ass but I see it as knowing what I want.

I'd welcome some real feedback. Should I just wait until there's more inventory around me when the shipments start coming in? Is there a tutorial that I can use to run the negotiation by email? I've bought through Costco for my last 4-5 new vehicles so I don't really know what I'm doing anymore. I have a Hyundai dealership probably 3 miles from me but they have 4 SELs and none that come close to fitting my criteria. They're trying to push the Tucsons and Santa Fes hard.

Thoughts, suggestions, tutorial links?
I'd start by loosening up your search criteria a little bit.

Look for fwd limiteds in your color combos. Mud flaps? Ignore that. You can add them for $30 after you get the vehicle. Other add ons? There's only a few accessories available on the limited. You're going to get what you're going to get. Most came from the port with floor mats, first aid kit, cargo cover, and the bumper protector. If you're trying to find a vehicle with mudflaps and without those things, you're significantly narrowing your field.

With that in mind, go to car gurus and identify every white/silver on tan fwd limited within 300 miles. Now you have the vehicles to target. You can reach out further to have one shipped, but it's going to cost you. Only way to know if it's going to be worth it is to shop multiple dealers.

Honestly, right now, what I'd do is identify the vehicles, identify the price you want to pay, and contact the dealers making an offer. Tell them exactly what you want to pay for their vehicle and that if they can hit that number, you'll be in in x amount of hours to take delivery. Just because they're asking a $2k mark up doesn't mean you have to pay their mark up. Tell them what you're willing to pay and if they say no, move on. I'd probably be targeting 5-7% off msrp before any incentives you qualify for. Several of them will say no.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback, y'all. I actually found a dealer last night that's only 50 miles on the other side of the city and seems to have a bunch of Limiteds on their way. I placed a call yesterday and should be hearing back from the sales rep today.

Good to know about the pricing, @saxman242 , I'll do some quick research before I talk to him. Really, I'm almost wondering if his dealership website is off since no one else in the city either has Limiteds at all or only one or two. It's a bit odd for Houston. I found a couple in DFW but I don't want to make the drive and have different numbers sprung on me. The drive up 45 is just too damn boring.

@Gene , I looked on the site. I'd love the cream white but I suspect they're not shipping that color to the States.

·
Registered
Lexus GS460, BMW540
10 Posts
I'm guessing you are referring to the dealer in Clear Lake. I have been looking for a limited with beige to see how it looks in person. I live in that part of town and have walked their lot twice on Sunday mornings, this morning I did. They do not have a single Limited on the lot. I look forward to hear what they tell you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm guessing you are referring to the dealer in Clear Lake. I have been looking for a limited with beige to see how it looks in person. I live in that part of town and have walked their lot twice on Sunday mornings, this morning I did. They do not have a single Limited on the lot. I look forward to hear what they tell you.
Address is listed as Friendswood. I'm in Katy. I'm going to follow up with the sales guy this afternoon. I spoke with him late Friday and he said he would try to get some delivery dates. I update with what I find. Surely, with the expectation of a particular vehicle, I can drop a deposit upon an agreed price. He ought to know the price so I can begin negotiating.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will do. He said he's got a Limited, Moonlit Cloud, Beige Interior coming in next week that hasn't been sold yet. That's not the one I want so... :p

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Disappointing update: I've been going back and forth with Ron Carter Hyundai in Clear Lake and have been trying to get them to give me information on any Limiteds they've got coming in so we can work out the details remotely. I got a call just now from a 3rd person (not the original guy I spoke with, not the "floor manager" I spoke with yesterday) who now tells me they don't do emailed deals. He kept asking me to come over there to get everything done and I told him I'm not going to do that unless I know they have what I want at a price I'm willing to pay. So, that's that. UGH

My search continues. I'm going to keep waiting for the closest dealer to get in more stock.

·
Registered
Lexus GS460, BMW540
10 Posts
Considering what we are going through right now I find that to be a horrible response. I see quite a few dealers advertising exactly the opposite, that they will accommodate touchess transactions including delivery to your door.

I'm one of those people who has strong morales and expectations. I'd be on the phone trying to find out if there is a Ron Carter still and asking him if this is a practice he supports.

Out of curiosity, do they actually have them in stock now with the beige interior you want?

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
792 Posts
We have limited Palisades with beige interior in stock around Phoenix, AZ.
Just costs to have them transported, and you don't want to buy unless you test drive first.
So if you do an email deal, make it contingent upon your test driving it and being happy
with it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From the online stock list, they have what I want. What I don't know is if they're jacking up the price with dealer add-ons because they won't send me their sticker other than telling me to pull them off the website. That's a crappy response - do it yourself. The minute I started asking for pricing in writing is when they suddenly backed out and started passing me around to the next guy on the floor. I'll be calling their general manager this week if I get one more phone call. Until then, be aware of their high-pressure tactics. Of course, any deal is contingent on me sitting in and driving THE vehicle I would commit to buying.

·
Super Moderator
792 Posts
You can always get the sticker online at hyundaiusa after you build and go to the one you want. Print it out
it should show any addons. That is always the way some dealerships work. offer you $1000 off then add on $2000 of addons. They make a big percentage of the addon price.
If you go for out the door price, just watch for them to try and add tax and fees later. Be sure and ask for a price to include everything. Then start talking about a lower price. Remember to ask about their holdback and you want at least half of that

·
Registered
731 Posts
From the online stock list, they have what I want. What I don't know is if they're jacking up the price with dealer add-ons because they won't send me their sticker other than telling me to pull them off the website. That's a crappy response - do it yourself. The minute I started asking for pricing in writing is when they suddenly backed out and started passing me around to the next guy on the floor. I'll be calling their general manager this week if I get one more phone call. Until then, be aware of their high-pressure tactics. Of course, any deal is contingent on me sitting in and driving THE vehicle I would commit to buying.
Sounds like what they're really telling you is they don't want to make a deal.

I've never seen a dealer that was that non-transparent with details turn around and give a good deal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can always get the sticker online at hyundaiusa after you build and go to the one you want. Print it out
it should show any addons. That is always the way some dealerships work. offer you $1000 off then add on $2000 of addons. They make a big percentage of the addon price.
If you go for out the door price, just watch for them to try and add tax and fees later. Be sure and ask for a price to include everything. Then start talking about a lower price. Remember to ask about their holdback and you want at least half of that
Gene, explain holdback, please? How is it different than Invoice?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Gene, explain holdback, please? How is it different than Invoice?
Holdback is essentially money from the manufacturer for selling the vehicle.

As an example, some vehicles will have an invoice price that's roughly 5% below MSRP. Holdback may be another 3% of MSRP. To get the dealer to a net net deal, you'd need to get it for 8% off MSRP before incentives.

Often, dealers will tell you that by selling below invoice, they're "losing" money. They may be showing a negative profit on paper against the vehicle cost, but then make it up and then some with holdback or other income streams (marketing allowances, financing kickbacks, etc).

·
Registered
Lexus GS460, BMW540
10 Posts
Saxman is correct. The holdback has been around forever. It originally was designed to allow the dealer to cover their costs of carrying the car in inventory. Like many businesses, there are also a variety of incentives dealers get from the manufacturer, usually at the end of the year based upon hitting goals.

I actually negotiated and managed incentives from suppliers for a while in the industry I worked in. I also dealt with extremely large customers at a corporate level. It was not unusual for those customers to try to get their share of those incentives. That was off limits. Our bottom line profits across our industry was usually about what we got in those incentives. Like the car business, we had a lot of competition and thin profits.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So if I start with invoice and be willing to go up to MSRP out the door, is that a reasonable start to give me wiggle room? How do I find out what the holdback might be? Is it listed somewhere?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts