Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our '21 Limited is about to hit 36k miles. I've heard lots of complaints here about OEM tires, but I've said repeatedly that I've been happy with the Bridgestone Dueler Sport AS set that came stock, even in winter. This has been the first vehicle in almost 20 years for which I did not get a set of winter wheels/tires.

So today I decided to check the wear on the tires, and noticed the fronts seem to have more wear on the outside lugs than the rears - which is odd considering that we rotate them on every oil change. The wear should be even front and back. But that wasn't my biggest concern. This was:

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Synthetic rubber

I've fixed a LOT of nail punctures in my day, but this is a first. I'm guessing I picked it up on a gravel road to a pole barn workshop where I do some work (also explains the sidewall "scuffs.") Obviously, I can't fix this one, and no tire shop will fix it either. While the wear on the outer shoulders would seem to indicate a front end alignment is in order, it's not too bad actually, and I've still got a good 6 to 7/32nds of tread left. I would otherwise not be looking for new tires until at least next year I guess.

But I did the calculations and the difference in overall circumference due to wear comes out to almost an inch, and a difference of about 10 revolutions per mile difference, i.e., a new tire would rotate about 10 fewer times driving one mile than one of the worn stock tires would. I would not have considered that a problem on a 2wd especially with an open differential, but a newer AWD and all its associated gadgetry is a different story. I would need to swap out two tires, if not all four. 馃槱

Assuming I do a full swap, I'm looking right now at the Michelin CrossClimate2 which seem to be pretty well regarded with the suburban SUV set. Best price I've found is at Sam's Club for $1018 with lifetime repair/replacement.

Registered
Our '21 Limited is about to hit 36k miles. I've heard lots of complaints here about OEM tires, but I've said repeatedly that I've been happy with the Bridgestone Dueler Sport AS set that came stock, even in winter. This has been the first vehicle in almost 20 years for which I did not get a set of winter wheels/tires.

So today I decided to check the wear on the tires, and noticed the fronts seem to have more wear on the outside lugs than the rears - which is odd considering that we rotate them on every oil change. The wear should be even front and back. But that wasn't my biggest concern. This was:

View attachment 7794

I've fixed a LOT of nail punctures in my day, but this is a first. I'm guessing I picked it up on a gravel road to a pole barn workshop where I do some work (also explains the sidewall "scuffs.") Obviously, I can't fix this one, and no tire shop will fix it either. While the wear on the outer shoulders would seem to indicate a front end alignment is in order, it's not too bad actually, and I've still got a good 6 to 7/32nds of tread left. I would otherwise not be looking for new tires until at least next year I guess.

But I did the calculations and the difference in overall circumference due to wear comes out to almost an inch, and a difference of about 10 revolutions per mile difference, i.e., a new tire would rotate about 10 fewer times driving one mile than one of the worn stock tires would. I would not have considered that a problem on a 2wd especially with an open differential, but a newer AWD and all its associated gadgetry is a different story. I would need to swap out two tires, if not all four. 馃槱

Assuming I do a full swap, I'm looking right now at the Michelin CrossClimate2 which seem to be pretty well regarded with the suburban SUV set. Best price I've found is at Sam's Club for $1018 with lifetime repair/replacement.
I have CC2s and they have 鈥漵tunning鈥 winter traction. Last winter I drove through an unplowed lot with 20+ inches of power snow with no drama. $1K is a lot but it鈥檚 101% worth the price and cheaper than buying dedicated winter tires AND summer tires for April - November.

Registered

View attachment 7794

Michelins are great, especially if it鈥檚 one set for year round use.
also consider Pirelli scorpion verde a/s plus3.
another great tire, for more comfort. Will be a quiet tire.
can鈥檛 go wrong with both.

Registered
Michelins are great, especially if it鈥檚 one set for year round use.
also consider Pirelli scorpion verde a/s plus3.
another great tire, for more comfort. Will be a quiet tire.
can鈥檛 go wrong with both.
I just put the Pirelli's described here on, anything is better than the 30,00 I got on the OEM. If Hyundai wants to play with the big boys, they have to grow up!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well that's a different look.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

Just a tick over $1k for a set. It certainly pained me to see the tire guys rolling all that unused tread out of the garage - there was 6-7/32nds left. I'm still not sure if I shouldn't have just gotten another Bridgestone and just took my chances with the new tire being close enough in circumference. My calculations showed about a 1" difference. I only drove about 7 miles home in busy traffic on the pock-marked streets of far south Indy, so I can't say anything about how they performed. It seemed like I heard some growling coming from the tires that was unfamiliar, but 炉\( 銉)/炉 . The reviews have pretty much been stellar for this model, so I'm assuming I'll be happy with them. As I've mentioned, the stockers were great in the winter for us - even in the one bad blizzard we had, with unplowed streets for a few days. We have been piling the miles on to the Pali (36k in 2 years) so I imagine I'll have an opinion soon enough.

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Window

Registered

View attachment 7816

Just a tick over $1k for a set. It certainly pained me to see the tire guys rolling all that unused tread out of the garage - there was 6-7/32nds left. I'm still not sure if I shouldn't have just gotten another Bridgestone and just took my chances with the new tire being close enough in circumference. My calculations showed about a 1" difference. I only drove about 7 miles home in busy traffic on the pock-marked streets of far south Indy, so I can't say anything about how they performed. It seemed like I heard some growling coming from the tires that was unfamiliar, but 炉\( 銉)/炉 . The reviews have pretty much been stellar for this model, so I'm assuming I'll be happy with them. As I've mentioned, the stockers were great in the winter for us - even in the one bad blizzard we had, with unplowed streets for a few days. We have been piling the miles on to the Pali (36k in 2 years) so I imagine I'll have an opinion soon enough.

View attachment 7817
I think they look great. You will have some noise cause of the thread pattern but these tires are the best on the market as if now. They seem expensive but they worth every penny. Michelin is the best tire on the market except with a few models.

Registered
Hmmm...was thinking about the initial installation. Take the tire and put it on the other side and it will be reverse, so, do they get installed inside out on the other side?
No. They鈥檙e installed the same way. On directional tires installation is left and right.
if you want to do X rotation, you have to take the tires out from the rim. The tires only have one outside wall.

Registered
No. They鈥檙e installed the same way. On directional tires installation is left and right.
if you want to do X rotation, you have to take the tires out from the rim. The tires only have one outside wall.
[/QUOTE\]
Not to diss you or anyone else.....
I know how true directional tires work as I have had them in the past. However, since I am far from needing new tires, I didn't look into them deeply. So I just did, and they are a true directional tire, a left and a right. So they need to rotate front to rear only. I didn't see any mention of this on Tire Rack or any of the other tire retailers. So they must order a pair of left and a pair of right when purchasing. And stocking these must be a pain also.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Was wondering, are they rotation specific? Do the treads point the same way on both sides? Seems as though they should..........
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire White

The tires only have one outside wall? They most definitely have two "outside walls." Wheels, however, generally have a hub-facing side and an outward-facing side.

Not to diss you or anyone else.....
I know how true directional tires work as I have had them in the past. However, since I am far from needing new tires, I didn't look into them deeply. So I just did, and they are a true directional tire, a left and a right. So they need to rotate front to rear only. I didn't see any mention of this on Tire Rack or any of the other tire retailers. So they must order a pair of left and a pair of right when purchasing. And stocking these must be a pain also.
馃う鈥嶁檪锔

What is a "true" directional tire that is different from any other kind of directional tire? You may need to look into it a bit more deeply. There is no "left and right" for this general consumer level tire. The only thing that matters is that the arrow is pointing in the direction that the tire will roll while in a forward gear, as pictured above. There are not two different part numbers for these tires. Try ordering just one. Are you asked "left or right?" No. This one tire can be mounted on the left or right side of the vehicle, just as long as the arrow points to the front of the vehicle while the "ROTATION" text is right-side up. There is such a thing as an asymmetrical pattern tire which has a specific pattern toward the inside or outside of the car. In those special situations, the tire is labeled "OUTSIDE" for the side that faces outside. And in the case of an asymmetric, directional tire, it would be labeled appropriately.

If the owner does not recognize or understand the "<- ROTATION" or "OUTSIDE" label on the tire, it seems that the task of tire rotation is not within his skillset. If a garage or tire shop does not recognize or understand that label, then it seems that shop would -- or at least should -- not be in business for long.

Registered
The tire has no inside and outside while off the wheel. Once mounted on the wheel it has an outside and an inside but the tire will always be mounted to roll with the arrow pointed to the front of the vehicle..(and yes, that does mean you can go against the arrow when the vehicle is in reverse) So once the tire is mounted on a wheel it can only fit on one side of the vehicle according to its rotational arrow.
To move a tire from the left side of the vehicle to the right side of the vehicle the tire must be dismounted from the wheel and remounted on the other side with the inside of the tire from the other side becoming the outside of the tire when mounted on the opposite side of the vehicle.

There, that should completely confuse the issue!!!

Registered
2022 SEL Premium AWD

View attachment 7816

View attachment 7817
They remind me of Goodyear Aquatread from the 1980s. These are a great year round tires for snow areas with some extra noise. In the south Michelin Defenders would be a better choice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts