Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a ton of research we have narrowed our Palisade search down to the exact model we want (SEL with both packages, etc). For the trim and color we want there are literally 2 available (according to the Hyundai website) in a 1,000 mile radius and one of them is about 40 minutes away from us. I want to go get it IMMEDIATELY but my husband is insisting that we sell our cars first, which could take us 1-3 weeks. He feels very confident that no matter how long we wait we will be able to find the car we want somewhere.
So...does anyone know how the whole supply/demand thing works with these cars? Are there more constantly arriving at various ports around the country? Is he right that we'll probably be able to find our very particular, exact version no matter how long we wait, or am I right that we should jump on it asap if we can find a way to swing the financing now? Just how plentiful or scarce is the supply, and how often is it replenished? Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Selling your car outright in these Covid 19 times may be a long process. Do your homework on KBB site and others to find a fair trade in price for your used car. You may come close to the figure it is valued at. If you sell your car privately, you will have to give the new owner some sort of warrantee. If you live in a sales tax state you will have to pay the additional sales tax on the full sales price. Avoid headaches and bite the bullet and trade it in. You will get a good price for your trade in and pay full sticker for the Palisade or low ball the trade and get something off the sticker. But not both.

Time to buy is when you see it. Snooze and you loose. Good luck with hubby. We bought ours the minute we saw it, 2 other people want to test drive it while we were making the deal. I said it anyone drives it , the deal is off.

Very Happy with our Palisade.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Selling your car outright in these Covid 19 times may be a long process. Do your homework on KBB site and others to find a fair trade in price for your used car. You may come close to the figure it is valued at. If you sell your car privately, you will have to give the new owner some sort of warrantee. If you live in a sales tax state you will have to pay the additional sales tax on the full sales price. Avoid headaches and bite the bullet and trade it in. You will get a good price for your trade in and pay full sticker for the Palisade or low ball the trade and get something off the sticker. But not both.

Time to buy is when you see it. Snooze and you loose. Good luck with hubby. We bought ours the minute we saw it, 2 other people want to test drive it while we were making the deal. I said it anyone drives it , the deal is off.

Thanks for your reply! I don't believe I have to offer any warranty when I sell a car privately in California (never have before) but you're right that it might take a while to sell them. I wish I could talk him into hustling and doing the trade-in, but he's convinced that we'll only get a fraction of what we'll get if we well privately that way. Ugh! Congrats on getting your vehicle!

·
Super Moderator
1,760 Posts
Have you checked with the dealership to see what they might give you for a trade?
Some states let you sell as is, make sure it is in any ad or purchase agreement or bill of sale.
Don't know what part of Ca you are in, But here in Phoenix, AZ there is a good supply of Palisades.
That being said my wife and I waited 3 months to get the one we wanted

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you checked with the dealership to see what they might give you for a trade?
Some states let you sell as is, make sure it is in any ad or purchase agreement or bill of sale.
Don't know what part of Ca you are in, But here in Phoenix, AZ there is a good supply of Palisades.
That being said my wife and I waited 3 months to get the one we wanted
Oh wow - that's a long time to wait. Yes, I checked the dealership online tool for trade-in and it was pretty dismal compared to private sale. However, if it takes too long we might just go for that in the end. Thanks for your reply! (Also, good to know there is a good supply in Phoenix. There seem to be quite a few here too, just not the particular trim and color we really want...)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
If you sell your car privately, you will have to give the new owner some sort of warrantee. If you live in a sales tax state you will have to pay the additional sales tax on the full sales price. Avoid headaches and bite the bullet and trade it in. You will get a good price for your trade in and pay full sticker for the Palisade or low ball the trade and get something off the sticker. But not both.
You most certainly do not have to provide the new owner of your used car any sort of warranty. Don't know where you've ever heard such a thing, but it is definitely not true.

The OP is in California where you pay sales tax on the new vehicle regardless of the trade in, there is no tax advantage to trading in.

There is no good reason to pay anywhere near full sticker on a palisade, trade in or not. You're correct that dealers can and will shift profit from one to the other, so if you ever consider trading in, it's wise to have multiple other offers on the trade in to compare against and is best to negotiate the trade and the purchase separately so you know what you're actually getting.

Before ever talking to a dealer about trading in a vehicle, get a purchase quote from Carvana, Shift, and Vroom. All three require nothing more than giving them the vehicle info online and they'll send you a purchase quote. I sold my last car to carvana and it was the easiest process ever. They also tend to offer more than you'll get from a dealer.

Right now is not the best time to be trying to sell a used car. The used car market is very depressed currently, so the purchase prices you're likely to get are going to be very low. It's also not the best time to be trying to buy a new car, unless you find a manufacturer that's pushing heavy incentives to move a vehicle. Keep in mind that dealers have multiple profit streams on a vehicle, with volume bonuses being a major one. With supply low due to plant shut downs and lower volume moving, this profit stream is gone. As such, a lot of dealers are focusing on gross profit per vehicle rather than volume bonuses, so deals can be harder to find, particularly when you're looking for a very specific vehicle set.

With 1-2 available in the country currently and the used car market hurting, I'd say either make very aggressive offers on the vehicles available and don't be afraid to wait until you get what you want or just plain wait. You certainly shouldn't go paying a premium to get into the car right now in anticipation of them not having more in the future. There will be more.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I stand corrected. Every state is not the same. In Massachusetts you have to warantee that the vehicle will pass emission and safety and the buyer had 7 days to have it inspected. If it fails seller refunds or fixes the problem.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I stand corrected. Every state is not the same. In Massachusetts you have to warantee that the vehicle will pass emission and safety and the buyer had 7 days to have it inspected. If it fails seller refunds or fixes the problem.
CA requires you have performed those kinds of tests prior to selling.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You most certainly do not have to provide the new owner of your used car any sort of warranty. Don't know where you've ever heard such a thing, but it is definitely not true.

The OP is in California where you pay sales tax on the new vehicle regardless of the trade in, there is no tax advantage to trading in.

There is no good reason to pay anywhere near full sticker on a palisade, trade in or not. You're correct that dealers can and will shift profit from one to the other, so if you ever consider trading in, it's wise to have multiple other offers on the trade in to compare against and is best to negotiate the trade and the purchase separately so you know what you're actually getting.

Before ever talking to a dealer about trading in a vehicle, get a purchase quote from Carvana, Shift, and Vroom. All three require nothing more than giving them the vehicle info online and they'll send you a purchase quote. I sold my last car to carvana and it was the easiest process ever. They also tend to offer more than you'll get from a dealer.

Right now is not the best time to be trying to sell a used car. The used car market is very depressed currently, so the purchase prices you're likely to get are going to be very low. It's also not the best time to be trying to buy a new car, unless you find a manufacturer that's pushing heavy incentives to move a vehicle. Keep in mind that dealers have multiple profit streams on a vehicle, with volume bonuses being a major one. With supply low due to plant shut downs and lower volume moving, this profit stream is gone. As such, a lot of dealers are focusing on gross profit per vehicle rather than volume bonuses, so deals can be harder to find, particularly when you're looking for a very specific vehicle set.

With 1-2 available in the country currently and the used car market hurting, I'd say either make very aggressive offers on the vehicles available and don't be afraid to wait until you get what you want or just plain wait. You certainly shouldn't go paying a premium to get into the car right now in anticipation of them not having more in the future. There will be more.
Thank you - great info!!!

·
Registered
663 Posts
The Palisade is not going to be a rare car even though they seem scarce as you're shopping. In CA it might be hard to find Limited AWDs, but be patient, or if it doesn't hurt you to pay more for the car then go for it. People outside of CA are finding better deals than those in state. All configurations outside the Limited AWD can be found with better discounts and dealers willing to negotiate.

I paid 990 under MSRP in March for a Limited AWD knowing that if I wait I will always find a better deal down the line somewhere/sometime. That's the nature of buying a car.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Never trade your car! Especially if you still owe on it. Always sell privately. Trade in is a loosing proposition for the new car buyer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think you should sell both of your cars private party and then go out and find the Palisade you want. I have been watching the inventory and the prices for a year and the prices are definitely coming down as the inventory goes up. Dealers that only had a handful of Palisades last summer now have 30 or 40 in stock. Besides the Hyundai website you should also use Cars.Com to search for the exact vehicle you want. If you go into a dealer with the attitude that you need to buy a certain car right away you are putting yourself in a position to overpay and not get a good deal.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Never trade your car! Especially if you still owe on it. Always sell privately. Trade in is a loosing proposition for the new car buyer.
Depends on the tax liabilities. In some states, because of how taxes are handled, it can save you a lot of money to trade in rather than sell privately, even when the private party selling price is higher.

·
Registered
10 Posts
After a ton of research we have narrowed our Palisade search down to the exact model we want (SEL with both packages, etc). For the trim and color we want there are literally 2 available (according to the Hyundai website) in a 1,000 mile radius and one of them is about 40 minutes away from us. I want to go get it IMMEDIATELY but my husband is insisting that we sell our cars first, which could take us 1-3 weeks. He feels very confident that no matter how long we wait we will be able to find the car we want somewhere.
So...does anyone know how the whole supply/demand thing works with these cars? Are there more constantly arriving at various ports around the country? Is he right that we'll probably be able to find our very particular, exact version no matter how long we wait, or am I right that we should jump on it asap if we can find a way to swing the financing now? Just how plentiful or scarce is the supply, and how often is it replenished? Thanks!
Good luck with this! We found the perfect car, made a deal and bought it. We got a Limited AWD at the end of March. Inventory was low and I would have most likely had to wait for weeks or go a good distance to find one as dealers were not swapping. We got a great deal and I love my car. We kept both of our old ones.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts