Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can’t for the life of me figure out the difference between lane follow assist and lane keep assist. The description in the owner’s manual is EXACTLY the same. Can anyone explain this to me?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Lane follow assist keeps your car following the car in front of you. Lane keep assist keeps the Pali in between the lines. At least that is how I rationalize it.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Lane follow assist keeps your car following the car in front of you. Lane keep assist keeps the Pali in between the lines. At least that is how I rationalize it.
Not quite. LFA follows the road and can steer for you. It doesn’t require a car to be in front of you to work. It does require the Smart Cruise Control to be on and active.

LKA will yank you back into your lane if you go too far off your lane. It doesn’t require cruise control to be on. Just lane markings and to be above 40mph.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I can’t for the life of me figure out the difference between lane follow assist and lane keep assist. The description in the owner’s manual is EXACTLY the same. Can anyone explain this to me?
Think of it as LFA will try to drive the car in the lane, LKA will correct if you try to drive it out of the lane. Basically, one is a safety feature and one is a convenience feature.

·
Registered
194 Posts
For my two cents, I simply use the passive control where the alarm beeps when I go over the line. I like that better than having the car itself do the driving. Again, just a personal preference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I actually don’t care for either of those features. The active assist seems like it wants to yank the steering wheel out of my hands. I just can relinquish that much driving control to an automated system. Just sayin’.....

·
Registered
562 Posts
I wish LKA operated at lower speeds instead of 40+mph only. It's a little reminder wiggle of the wheel and it's not actually strong enough to keep the car in the lane for a lot of actual driving scenarios.

I love using LFA on long freeway drives. It makes a long drive much less tiring. I'm not a proponent of full self driving, but what we have on the Palisade is terrific. Tesla (MUSK) and his promises of FSD and his fanboy lemmings throwing 8k dollars at his unfulfilled promises is is where this is eventually headed, but I want to hold that off as long as possible! AI will be the end of humanity. hahahaha

·
Registered
35 Posts
LFA = "Lane Centering" / like having someone gently steer for you on long hwy cruising above 40 mph
LKA = "Ping Pong Effect" / bounces you one side to the other and it will feel like you need an alignment because the steering will shake and fight you

I always turn LKA off driving on familiar local streets but I will turn it on when I'm going into the city or in traffic, it gives me extra level of awareness

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi folks fairly new, soon to be Palisade owner! Arriving in about a week (very excited). Gene may have answered this above, but what I wanted to know is; Can the LKA be shutoff and does it stay off as a preference when the car is shutoff and started again? My Lexus had both systems. I love the cruise control function on long drives keeping a distance in front of a lead car, but can’t stand the LKA. I still love driving!

·
Registered
145 Posts
There is an ON/OFF button located on the dash panel to the left of the steering wheel next to the brake switch.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Palisade Limited, Maroon w/ light grey interior
25 Posts
I'm still looking for an explanation as to why the Palisade does not have a dedicated LFA button like my Sonata so I can use it outside of having Smart Cruise Control set. Is it just because one is a car and one is an SUV?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm still looking for an explanation as to why the Palisade does not have a dedicated LFA button like my Sonata so I can use it outside of having Smart Cruise Control set. Is it just because one is a car and one is an SUV?
Bigguh - you might have brought up another question I had (again new arrival coming any day now). The LFA assist only comes on when the cruise is set? Also, what if I don’t want LFA on while cruise is on, can this be shut off while smart cruise is on? Will LFA stay off as a preference? Again, long time Lexus owner and both LKA and LFA assist could be shut off and stay off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Bigguh - you might have brought up another question I had (again new arrival coming any day now). The LFA assist only comes on when the cruise is set? Also, what if I don’t want LFA on while cruise is on, can this be shut off while smart cruise is on? Will LFA stay off as a preference? Again, long time Lexus owner and both LKA and LFA assist could be shut off and stay off.
As I mentioned, there is no dedicated button for LFA (I really wish there was as is the case in my Sonata). In order to avoid using LFA, you would have to switch to conventional cruise control (this is done by turning cruise control on (not setting it) and pressing the vehicle distance button for 2-3 seconds, which will switch from Smart Cruise to conventional cruise control). Once you have switched, and you set your desired speed, LFA will not come on. As for LKA, that has a dedicated button on the dash to the left of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited
59 Posts
Also, what if I don’t want LFA on while cruise is on, can this be shut off while smart cruise is on?
Yes. You can, you would just have to turn off that feature in settings. Where to find the setting may vary depending on your model.

On Limited/Calligraphy models, for example, it is in the central infotainment display. (Setup > vehicle > driver assistance > driving assist > lane following assist.

On other models, though, it may be in your instrument cluster settings. (That’s where it is on our Telluride).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes. You can, you would just have to turn off that feature in settings. Where to find the setting may vary depending on your model.

Ok, this is promising - thank you! I purchased a Luxury trim (same as limited I believe in US). Moonlight Cloud / grey and navy interior. I love the radar cruise in my Lexus and do appreciate the knowledge that you can also switch to a traditional cruise. In winter weather on the Lexus the radar cruise sensors get covered in snow and shut’s cruise off all together. Knowing now that both LFA and LKA can be shut off and still have radar cruise is a bonus. Like mentioned I have virtually been a life long Lexus owner and this is helping me realize I may have made a good move on the Palisade! Thanks folks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok, this is promising - thank you! I purchased a Luxury trim (same as limited I believe in US). Moonlight Cloud / grey and navy interior. I love the radar cruise in my Lexus and do appreciate the knowledge that you can also switch to a traditional cruise. In winter weather on the Lexus the radar cruise sensors get covered in snow and shut’s cruise off all together. Knowing now that both LFA and LKA can be shut off and still have radar cruise is a bonus. Like mentioned I have virtually been a life long Lexus owner and this is helping me realize I may have made a good move on the Palisade! Thanks folks.

·
Registered
25 Posts

On Limited/Calligraphy models, for example, it is in the central infotainment display. (Setup > vehicle > driver assistance > driving assist > lane following assist.

On other models, though, it may be in your instrument cluster settings. (That’s where it is on our Telluride).
Going to the Settings, as you described, does the same thing as pushing the button. The reason I know this is while I was on that screen in the settings, i pushed the button for LKA on the dash and observed the setting change on the screen. I think there is also a 3rd option under that menu as well, but figured that would be good info to share.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Or it's because they designed the Palisade first, then decided to add the feature when they designed the new Sonata. There are several things the new Sonata has that the Palisade does not, as one might expect from a vehicle design a few years after another.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts