Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...until it wasn't. When I first bought the 2021 Palisade in October (Limited AWD), the gentle nudging of the steering wheel to keep the car in the middle of the lane happened all the time: in town, cruise control on or off, cruise speed set or not, any speed, highways or surface roads. Then about two or three weeks ago, that stopped. No more nudging of the wheel unless I had cruise control on with a speed set or was crossing over a line. That led me down some study in the owner's manual.

I learned that LFA, LKA, and HDA are three different things and that apparently LFA isn't supposed to engage unless you have cruise control on (and I've learned through experience you must also have a speed set). So now the car is working the way the manual states it should (I think), but I had grown used to LFA being on all the time (seemed high tech), and now I'm sad.

Anyone else had this experience?

·
Registered
262 Posts
...until it wasn't. When I first bought the 2021 Palisade in October (Limited AWD), the gentle nudging of the steering wheel to keep the car in the middle of the lane happened all the time: in town, cruise control on or off, cruise speed set or not, any speed, highways or surface roads. Then about two or three weeks ago, that stopped. No more nudging of the wheel unless I had cruise control on with a speed set or was crossing over a line. That led me down some study in the owner's manual.

I learned that LFA, LKA, and HDA are three different things and that apparently LFA isn't supposed to engage unless you have cruise control on (and I've learned through experience you must also have a speed set). So now the car is working the way the manual states it should (I think), but I had grown used to LFA being on all the time (seemed high tech), and now I'm sad.

Anyone else had this experience?
There's a button by the emergency brake switch that toggles that function if I'm not mistaken. It happened on my 2020 Limited. You can tell based on the Palisade image in the center screen, between the gauges. If it looks zoomed in, it's off, if it's zoomed out, it's on.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply StarshipEnterprise! I'm familiar with the toggle, but it doesn't seem related to this oddity. As far as I can tell, that button turns LKA (Lane Keep Assist) off/on. That only affects whether or not I get the pull-back if I'm drifting out of lane.

The more sensitive LFA (with the little green steering wheel indicator) that tries to center you all the time in the lane is the one that changed on me. It's working right now like the manual says (when cruise control is engaged), but mine used to just work all the time, cruise control or not. I rather liked what was apparently a bug...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Oh... Gotcha! I thought that's what was trying to keep me centered in the lane... 😆

It's typically a nudge, though the beep/alert as well... So glad when I found the option to lower that warning sound.

Love the technology and assistance features, but as the wife said, why is the car constantly telling us how poorly we drive. 😅

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the reply StarshipEnterprise! I'm familiar with the toggle, but it doesn't seem related to this oddity. As far as I can tell, that button turns LKA (Lane Keep Assist) off/on. That only affects whether or not I get the pull-back if I'm drifting out of lane.

The more sensitive LFA (with the little green steering wheel indicator) that tries to center you all the time in the lane is the one that changed on me. It's working right now like the manual says (when cruise control is engaged), but mine used to just work all the time, cruise control or not. I rather liked what was apparently a bug...
Same thing here, I’m wondering if something changed in the new software update, because on my sonata I have the actual button to turn that on or off and I thought you were able to do that before on my wife’s palisade.

·
Registered
2021 White Calligraphy
420 Posts

Yeah sorry my 2021 has never worked that way and I haven't done the Nov update. Mine works exactly like the manual where the steering wheel only comes on once you engage the cruise control. And obviously make sure the steering wheel icon turns green which means LFA is completely active. I noticed on a recent trip home from CO where the top of the windshield still had some frost, well it hindered the camera and my steering wheel icon never turned green. Once it completely cleared within 15 min or so, it finally turned green and went active. Just something to keep an eye on. Not that I was letting go of the wheel on the straightest highway known to man or anything ;)

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Palisade Limited, Maroon w/ light grey interior
37 Posts
I'm not sure how what you've described happened, other than it being an anomaly. As a Sonata and Palisade mentioned above, I was disappointed to find that the Palisade did not have the dedicated button to turn LFA on/off without needing cruise control set or even on at all. I'm glad my wife drives the Palisade. I love having this ability in my Sonata. I'm not sure how or why Hyundai decided to remove the option in the Palisade with a dedicated button, but I miss it when I drive the Palisade... unless I am highway cruising with cruise control set.

·
Registered
2021 White Calligraphy
420 Posts
I'm not sure how what you've described happened, other than it being an anomaly. As a Sonata and Palisade mentioned above, I was disappointed to find that the Palisade did not have the dedicated button to turn LFA on/off without needing cruise control set or even on at all. I'm glad my wife drives the Palisade. I love having this ability in my Sonata. I'm not sure how or why Hyundai decided to remove the option in the Palisade with a dedicated button, but I miss it when I drive the Palisade... unless I am highway cruising with cruise control set.
But my understanding IAW the manual, you can easily turn it off by switching to conventional cruise mode. To do this, you simply hold down the vehicle-to-vehicle distance button for more than 2 seconds and you have the option to turn off smart and go into conventional mode. One of LFA's requirements is you must be in Smart Cruise mode so if you indeed switch to conventional by the method above then you disable it.

So yes, there isn't an additional LFA button to turn on or off but my understanding is, it's still fairly easy to do so.

·
Registered
37 Posts
But my understanding IAW the manual, you can easily turn it off by switching to conventional cruise mode. To do this, you simply hold down the vehicle-to-vehicle distance button for more than 2 seconds and you have the option to turn off smart and go into conventional mode. One of LFA's requirements is you must be in Smart Cruise mode so if you indeed switch to conventional by the method above then you disable it.

So yes, there isn't an additional LFA button to turn on or off but my understanding is, it's still fairly easy to do so.
I was not talking about conventional vs smart. I was saying that there is no dedicated button just for LFA, like on the Sonata. Yes, you can switch to conventional if you don't want LFA to engage when you set cruise. However, the OP likes the feature and would like to have it available when desired, which is not possible without setting smart cruise.

·
Registered
37 Posts
so what is the difference between LFA (lane following assist) and HDA (highway driving assist)?
LFA on its own is when the vehicle sensors automatically keep you centered in the lane.l, as long as lanes can be properly detected. The Sonata has a button on the steering wheel dedicated to this and it can be used outside of Smart Cruise Control. The Palisade does not have that option and LFA becomes active when Smart Cruise Control is set (again, as long as lanes can be detected).

HDA is something Hyundai has that recognizes certain highways and is active when used in conjunction with the SCC. If HDA is active and you set the SCC to the posted speed limit for the highway you are on, you'll hear a beep and the speed will turn green to indicate it matches the posted speed limit. If you remain at that speed, the system will automatically change that speed of the posted speed limit changes. I doubt most people will stay at the speed but it's cool to see at least once. There are also certain portions of highways where the system will slow you down regardless of your set speed if a curve is considered to tight.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
LFA on its own is when the vehicle sensors automatically keep you centered in the lane.l, as long as lanes can be properly detected. The Sonata has a button on the steering wheel dedicated to this and it can be used outside of Smart Cruise Control. The Palisade does not have that option and LFA becomes active when Smart Cruise Control is set (again, as long as lanes can be detected).

HDA is something Hyundai has that recognizes certain highways and is active when used in conjunction with the SCC. If HDA is active and you set the SCC to the posted speed limit for the highway you are on, you'll hear a beep and the speed will turn green to indicate it matches the posted speed limit. If you remain at that speed, the system will automatically change that speed of the posted speed limit changes. I doubt most people will stay at the speed but it's cool to see at least once. There are also certain portions of highways where the system will slow you down regardless of your set speed if a curve is considered to tight.

Hope that helps.
The auto slowing down for curves is only on the Sonata, not the Palisade.

Another feature HDA provides is that the car can come to a full stop and resume driving automatically for up to 30s-long stops. On non HDA roads, it’s only 3s. Longer than that and the driver has to press the gas pedal or the SCC resume button to start going again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The auto slowing down for curves is only on the Sonata, not the Palisade.

Another feature HDA provides is that the car can come to a full stop and resume driving automatically for up to 30s-long stops. On non HDA roads, it’s only 3s. Longer than that and the driver has to press the gas pedal or the SCC resume button to start going again.
Absolutely, forgot to mention those. I guess I'm just so used to it. Thank you for adding that the auto slowing down is only on the Sonata. Once again, I made the poor assumption that the systems couldn't be so different. Kind of like I was surprised to find out the Hyundai Digital Key isn't available for the Palisade. 🤦🏾‍♂️

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replies all! Weird how it changed. I assume something was odd in my system before a software update. I felt like a boss with perfect lane alignment everywhere I went in town.

Ultimately, the little lane button seems backwards and counter-intuitive to me. With LKA only being a thing when you are in danger of crossing a line (and 40MPH+), that seems like a feature that doesn't need a dedicated button, it would be great stashed in a menu somewhere.

On the other hand, with LFA being a potentially far more active feature that's constantly adjusting the wheel, it seems like a perfect candidate for a toggle. It's also how the sales-people described the feature to me. Instead, if I'd like it to work on a surface road right now at 30MPH, I'd have to engage Smart Cruise Control, set a speed, and then lose all of that functionality the next time I touch the breaks. I don't find using Cruise Control at low speeds useful, and I assume that's true for most people.

Minor issue all told, and the car is outstanding in a ton of ways. Just kind of a bummer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the replies all! Weird how it changed. I assume something was odd in my system before a software update. I felt like a boss with perfect lane alignment everywhere I went in town.

Ultimately, the little lane button seems backwards and counter-intuitive to me. With LKA only being a thing when you are in danger of crossing a line (and 40MPH+), that seems like a feature that doesn't need a dedicated button, it would be great stashed in a menu somewhere.

On the other hand, with LFA being a potentially far more active feature that's constantly adjusting the wheel, it seems like a perfect candidate for a toggle. It's also how the sales-people described the feature to me. Instead, if I'd like it to work on a surface road right now at 30MPH, I'd have to engage Smart Cruise Control, set a speed, and then lose all of that functionality the next time I touch the breaks. I don't find using Cruise Control at low speeds useful, and I assume that's true for most people.

Minor issue all told, and the car is outstanding in a ton of ways. Just kind of a bummer.
Did you find the problem or do you think its normal. Mine behave exactly same after the update.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts