Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The news only said that this was a Korean Auto Cargo ship which had just left a port in Ga.after off loading some cars and was headed to Baltimore, Md. to unload more cars. None of the news stations here (Atlanta) made any mention of what type of cars were being transported. If you have one on order I would re-check with your dealer to see if this will impact you. If the news stations here update this with more amplifying information I will post it here.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The news only said that this was a Korean Auto Cargo ship which had just left a port in Ga.after off loading some cars and was headed to Baltimore, Md. to unload more cars. None of the news stations here (Atlanta) made any mention of what type of cars were being transported. If you have one on order I would re-check with your dealer to see if this will impact you. If the news stations here update this with more amplifying information I will post it here.

Oh man, this sucks... Let's hope they find the last 4 missing crew members.

I found an article that states that this is indeed a car carrier for Hyundai Glovis (their logistics company). And I do believe Brunswick is one of the ports that Hyundai uses. This likely means that there are Hyundai vehicles on that ship. This isn't going to help the supply situation on Palisades, which was already not helped by the flat-spot issues on tires.

Article in question: https://splash247.com/four-crew-missing-after-glovis-car-carrier-capsizes-off-port-of-brunswick/

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought of your situation when I posted this article. Hopefully you are not impacted. I am hopeful as well that they will find the missing crew members as from the pictures on news reports the ship is on it's side but still mostly above the water line.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I thought of your situation when I posted this article. Hopefully you are not impacted. I am hopeful as well that they will find the missing crew members as from the pictures on news reports the ship is on it's side but still mostly above the water line.
I'm not affected, as my car is already at the port of entry. Just held up because of the flat-spot issue.

It appears that the 4 missing crew members are stuck in the engine room of the ship.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to know on both counts. Remember that movie the Poseiden Adventure? Survivors were rescued by cutting into the hull of the ship near the engine compartment. Hopefully the rescuers saw the movie as well.

·
Registered
206 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The news reporter must have made a mistake in the destination. As it was a tv news cast I can not cite the specific source as I listened to 4 different broadcast to get as much information as they had.

·
Registered
206 Posts
According to Car & Driver, none of the cars on the ship were Hyundais. There were Kias and cars from other manufacturers. Those cars are made in the US and exported (presumably to the Middle East, since that's what the news reports mentioned before).

Another article mentioned that the ship had been unloaded and reloaded prior to this event.

In other words, the ship came in with cars built in Korea and destined for sale in the US. Then it loaded cars built in the US and destined for export to the Middle East. This might explain the stop in Baltimore: presumably to pick up more cars for export out of the US (and news reports mention the ship isn't at full capacity, so this makes sense).

I wonder what other car manufacturers have cars on that ship. If I had to bet, they're Mercedes, BMWs and/or Volvos, who all have plants in AL/SC.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts