Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else experiencing a knocking noise coming from the back when hitting bumps. I've got about 4k miles on my Limited and the last three weeks I've noticed a knocking noise coming from the back. I can't pinpoint it. All the seat belt latches are tethered so it's not them knocking around. I have nothing stored in the back. It's not the flat tire kit banging. Its very annoying. Hoping someone else has experienced this and figured out what it is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have 1700 miles on my limited and cannot trace the noise coming from some place around the lift gate. All seat belts are anchored. I have taken everything out of the back storage area. I installed a silicon license plate holder. I still get a thump when I go over certain bumps. It seems that it might be coming from the latch area of lift gate. I know the dealer will never be able to duplicate it.
Also, the wind noise especially on the driver's side is driving me nuts. Will the dealer replace the seal under warranty? Does the replacement reduce the wind noise?

·
Super Moderator
996 Posts
set up a phone or other video recorder so that you can record what the sound is.
Take that to the dealership. They are required to verify the problem before they
can get paid to fix it

·
Registered
8 Posts
set up a phone or other vireo recorder so that you can record what the sound is.
Take that to the dealership. They are required to verify the problem before they
can get paid to fix it
Good suggestion with the recording idea. I would doubt there would be anything to view on a video. I will give the recording a try.

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have 1700 miles on my limited and cannot trace the noise coming from some place around the lift gate. All seat belts are anchored. I have taken everything out of the back storage area. I installed a silicon license plate holder. I still get a thump when I go over certain bumps. It seems that it might be coming from the latch area of lift gate. I know the dealer will never be able to duplicate it.
Also, the wind noise especially on the driver's side is driving me nuts. Will the dealer replace the seal under warranty? Does the replacement reduce the wind noise?
You know there is now a technical service bulletin for the wind noise, right?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry, I have been away a for a bit but wanted to come back and report my finding from the knocking noise in the back. I climbed all the way back to experience and find this noise myself. My wife was driving around and hitting the bumps that trigger it. It is coming from overhead in the celing. Sounds like something is loose in the roof and it knocks when you hit a bump just right. No idea what this is. I did check the antenna which is the only thing nearby and it was secure. I will be calling in to my service department to see if they can figure out what the deal is. Also gonna have them address the excessive wind noise heard on drivers side. I too am annoyed by it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sorry, I have been away a for a bit but wanted to come back and report my finding from the knocking noise in the back. I climbed all the way back to experience and find this noise myself. My wife was driving around and hitting the bumps that trigger it. It is coming from overhead in the celing. Sounds like something is loose in the roof and it knocks when you hit a bump just right. No idea what this is. I did check the antenna which is the only thing nearby and it was secure. I will be calling in to my service department to see if they can figure out what the deal is. Also gonna have them address the excessive wind noise heard on drivers side. I too am annoyed by it.
Could it be the 3rd-row middle seatbelt buckle that is stored in the ceiling that is loose?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Definitely not the seatbelt. It is secure in the base and there is knocking from an area forward of it by about a foot. Also pulled the belt out all the way and still got the knock.

·
Super Moderator
475 Posts
Definitely not the seatbelt. It is secure in the base and there is knocking from an area forward of it by about a foot. Also pulled the belt out all the way and still got the knock.
There are 2 ea. rubber stops on the rear hatch that are adjustable and could be a possible reason for the knocking noise you are hearing if out of adjustment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's great to see that I'm not the only one who has this problem. I tried placing a small piece of cardboard behind the plastic rear door cover. The noise continued. I played a piece of cardboard behind the vehicle Jack, nope. I checked the spare tire, nope it's tight. I checked the exhaust pipe, nope it's mounted with rubber mounts. The only thing I can think of is the actual latch that secures the rear door. I have noticed that when I drive at freeway speeds I don't hear the noise when I hit bumps. I only hear it when I'm city driving it. I've taken it to one dealership locally. I have it scheduled for a different dealership this Saturday. I'll let you know if anything changes

1 - 20 of 57 Posts