Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Car and Driver: "The Telluride cruises at 70 mph with a library-quiet 63-decibel sound-level reading, or a notable 6 decibels quieter than the Palisade."

That is significant, I wonder why such a difference?

·
Registered
663 Posts
In my personal experience between Bridgestone and Michelin tires, I will say that every Michelin tire I've had has driven smoother and quieter than competing brands. I was hoping my Palisade came with Michelins, but I have the Bridgestones.

Never had summer performance Michelins, but for a/s family car/van/suv tires, I've always found Michelins to be quietest.

that's just me. no science to back it up

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have the garbage brisgestone tires and I am willing to bet the farm that's the reason I get a "rougher" ride...or it could be the 20" tires.

·
Registered
663 Posts
both the Telluride and the Palisade had 20's on in this particular test. 8db is a lot. Is the Telluride testing quieter in other comparisons tests? Or is it just this one C&D article?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
On the tire note, the "Palisade was fitted with Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sport AS rubber while the Telluride rolled on Michelin Primacy Tour A/S tires."

Based on the advertising materials for those two tires, road noise seems to be a priority on the michelin and dry performance the priority on the bridgestones.

·
Banned
673 Posts
There have been several video reviews on you tube stating wind noise that is surprising. Wind noise and tire noise are pretty easy to hear. Now a “dumb meter” like a dB meter, won’t make that distinction.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Car and Driver complained about excessive wind noise in that article. Interesting how a few other road tests from other authorities complained about wind noise and others remarked on how quiet the Palisade is. This is confirmed by posts on this forum. i have test driven 2 Palisades and both had unacceptable wind noise in my opinion. Friend bought a new Telluride and have ridden with him a few times and noticed no excessive wind noise.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I may be wrong but alex on autos did a sound test on both (different videos) and they basically had the same quite interior. Who knows...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Michelin has the quietest tires I have ever driven. They are just so expensive. But I'm sensitive to road noise, so what's another $300 in the long run? I guess when the tires need replacing on the Palisade, I'm going to get Michelin next time around. My Palisade came with Bridgestones as well. However, my Palisade is pretty quiet. Most tires are pretty quiet when new. Its when the tread starts to wear that noise becomes more noticeable.

·
Banned
673 Posts
Mine got worse over time. Starting to suspect that seals are failing or moving within the door/window/mirror assembly. Could be an assembly issue on some models, or a defect that presents over time. Either way there are at least 100’s affected, possible 1,000’s. My hope is that Hyundai can get it fixed. As already stated the GV80 road tests have some reviewers already remarking about ‘surprising wind noise’ from a luxury make.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wind noise seems to be an issue with Subaru as well. The Outback and Ascent have wind and road noise problems, especially the gen 5 Outbacks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the garbage brisgestone tires and I am willing to bet the farm that's the reason I get a "rougher" ride...or it could be the 2

Bridgestone tires are terrible on car and motorcycles. I changed brand new Bridgestone's on my new motorcycle because they were so freaking noisey. Changing them solved my problem. I have no doubt that when I change them on my Palisade it will be noticeably quieter.

·
Banned
673 Posts
Didn’t realize that Subaru Outback was a 3 row, near luxury SUV. I thought that’s what the Ascent was for them. Haven’t heard wind noise issues for the Ascent, Pilot, Traverse, Atlas, CX-9, etc. The first thing my wife commented on during our Aviator test drive was how quiet it was. I can attest, it was vault like.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Didn’t realize that Subaru Outback was a 3 row, near luxury SUV. I thought that’s what the Ascent was for them. Haven’t heard wind noise issues for the Ascent, Pilot, Traverse, Atlas, CX-9, etc. The first thing my wife commented on during our Aviator test drive was how quiet it was. I can attest, it was vault like.
I was referring to noise levels in various vehicles. The number of rows or level of luxury is not the point.

·
Banned
673 Posts
I didn’t realize they had 100’s of owners complaints and TSB’s trying to mitigate the wind noise. Frankly, I’d kill for high pitched wind noise. Mine is low frequency drone that can drown out normal conversation. Find me some posts like that since you seem to have some time.

Also telling is the number of posts here and on the other Palisade forum with regard to wind noise. It’s easily 50% of all posts.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts