Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All! I am looking at a new Palisade for my wife, but, I can't seem to find out if the 3.8L V6 engine uses only direct injection (GDI) or port injection (MPI) with the direct injection (GDI). Toyota, Ford and many other manufacturers are now using both to prevent dirty intake valves. This is becoming a big problem for Audi, VW and GM with GDI only.
Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Hi All! I am looking at a new Palisade for my wife, but, I can't seem to find out if the 3.8L V6 engine uses only direct injection (GDI) or port injection (MPI) with the direct injection (GDI). Toyota, Ford and many other manufacturers are now using both to prevent dirty intake valves. This is becoming a big problem for Audi, VW and GM with GDI only.
Thanks,
Rob
It’s GDI only.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You for the quick reply. Not what I was hoping to hear, but, "it is what it is:

·
Registered
2021 Palisade Calligraphy AWD
156 Posts
Thank You for the quick reply. Not what I was hoping to hear, but, "it is what it is:
It is GDI only but it runs an Atkinson cycle to help with valve cleaning. The Atkinson cycle is supposed to help relieve the valve fouling.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
It is GDI only but it runs an Atkinson cycle to help with valve cleaning. The Atkinson cycle is supposed to help relieve the valve fouling.
To be clear, it has variable valve timing and can run on both Atkinson and Otto cycles depending on what is required. The Atkinson cycle keeps the intake valves open during part of the compression stroke, which can indeed allow fuel to reach above the valves and clean them. I wonder how much it helps though, but I'm no expert...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also (probably) helping with the carbon fouling issue is Hyundai's 5w30 oil recommendation. The added viscosity compared to a 16 or 20 weight oil should reduce combustion blow-by and valve seal leakage, which are believed to be the primary contributors to carbon buildup.

Edit: As with all viral topics, the evils of GDI should be taken with a grain of salt. Not even the infamous 2006 Volkswagens suffered the issue with 100% frequency. And a 2022 Hyundai is not a 2006 Volkswagen.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The Toyota Highlander having a hybrid GDI and MPI fuel delivery system was the only real attribute for the Highlander in my choice between the 2 vehicles before I ultimately chose the Palisade. Definitely did a fair amount of reading on GDI systems before my purchase decision was made and felt with my type of driving a strictly GDI shouldn’t pose a problem……time will tell.

Not so sure I would have reached the same conclusion if my driving was mostly comprised of short lower speed jaunts where the engine doesn’t have a chance to warm up. Although that type of driving is not good for any vehicle regardless of fuel delivery system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Toyota Highlander having a hybrid GDI and MPI fuel delivery system was the only real attribute for the Highlander
LOL, paralysis by analysis. Been there a few times myself.

At some point in researching a major purchase, it's time to lock your brain in a closet and let your heart cast the final vote.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Love your response don67. you could use this sentiment for many purchases as well as even for relationships. Never heard it before but love it, thx for that post!

·
Registered
176 Posts
LOL, paralysis by analysis. Been there a few times myself.
In my case it definitely was not "LOL, paralysis by analysis. Been there a few times myself. " I always research a major decision, and with this being my first purchase of a Hyundai, and that one being close to $60k CAD, it definitely fell into that category.....just saying. Life is too short for unnecessary headaches...its amazing how a little reading manages to reduce those headaches😀

1 - 10 of 10 Posts