Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

How many of you have put a deposit and was/is waiting for palisade to arrive at dealership? Did you receive VIN number or/and Tracking details for you to track your Palisade or you were waiting on your dealership to update you .

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Hello All,

How many of you have put a deposit and was/is waiting for palisade to arrive at dealership? Did you receive VIN number or/and Tracking details for you to track your Palisade or you were waiting on your dealership to update you .
Hyundai doesn't offer tracking details. At least not to us customers. Dealers may have more details as to build/ship date. I don't know, since ours was already in transit when we put a deposit on it.

However, I can tell you that once the vehicle arrived at the port of entry, there are no updates. Even the dealership is in the dark. Particularly if they decide to apply TSBs to the cars or check them for any other issue. They were very bad at communicating with the dealer, who was left with no answer to give us.

Hyundai really needs to do better in that department.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For a minute I was not trusting a dealership and thinking they are keeping me in a dark or hiding something . But if its a global issue than its understandable . Still Hyundai has to do something about it .

·
Registered
161 Posts
Same thing happened to me. The dealer was in complete dark and only learned of the status when the car was on rail heading to the dealership.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My dealer was not even knowing this (At-least they claim that) They said its estimated to be delivered 23'rd and do not have a tracking number which is surprising . I got a call just few minutes ago its been delivered and now its under inspection .

·
Super Moderator
1,760 Posts
Hello All,

My dealership called me and gave me the vin# which they can get when it starts being made. took over three months before they started building mine. Then it will showup as intransit on hyundaiusa.com. Once it reaches the port here it will disappear from the site. noone seems to be able to track it from then till the dealership gets it.
The dealership will get an estimate of arrival date, but that didn't count with mine it was postponed.
for tsb updates. It took 2 months to get mine after it showed up on the hyundaiusa site.
Guess they did all the tsb's as I have no wind noise or whistles. No vibrations and blind spot monitor works the way it should.

·
Banned
25 Posts
My dealership called me and gave me the vin# which they can get when it starts being made. took over three months before they started building mine. Then it will showup as intransit on hyundaiusa.com. Once it reaches the port here it will disappear from the site. noone seems to be able to track it from then till the dealership gets it.
The dealership will get an estimate of arrival date, but that didn't count with mine it was postponed.
for tsb updates. It took 2 months to get mine after it showed up on the hyundaiusa site.
Guess they did all the tsb's as I have no wind noise or whistles. No vibrations and blind spot monitor works the way it should.
People have a misunderstanding about "ordering" a vehicle from Hyundai (and most other Asian manufacturers). The dealer does not order the vehicle from the factory, they place a request to the US distributor who tries to get one for the dealer based on orders the distributor has already previously placed (and maybe in transit to the distributor or at port of entry and not allocated to another dealer yet). If a specific model trim level and color is not available or already on order, and dealer cannot trade with another dealer who has one in inventory (or already allocated to them), the distributor will have to include that request in their next factory order.

In order to make sure the factory has the right mix of parts for each trim level, the factory orders by the distributor are determined in advance as to trim levels and colors, so there could be shortages of certain parts needed for certain trim levels if they guessed incorrectly what consumers wanted. Some parts are manufactured, and some are purchased from vendors, and the whole supply chain has to know in advance what parts are needed at the factory, and when they are needed, to build a particular trim level.

This is the reason they have a limited number of factory trim levels and options (not counting dealer or distributor installed options like carpet mats), so that there is likely some vehicle already in the pipeline that matches the one desired (trim level and color). If the distributor has not already ordered one like that (or already promised all of those to other dealers), then it can take awhile for the next distributor order from the factory, and to make sure they have enough parts on hand to build that trim level.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
People have a misunderstanding about "ordering" a vehicle from Hyundai (and most other Asian manufacturers). The dealer does not order the vehicle from the factory, they place a request to the US distributor who tries to get one for the dealer based on orders the distributor has already previously placed (and maybe in transit to the distributor or at port of entry and not allocated to another dealer yet). If a specific model trim level and color is not available or already on order, and dealer cannot trade with another dealer who has one in inventory (or already allocated to them), the distributor will have to include that request in their next factory order.

In order to make sure the factory has the right mix of parts for each trim level, the factory orders by the distributor are determined in advance as to trim levels and colors, so there could be shortages of certain parts needed for certain trim levels if they guessed incorrectly what consumers wanted. Some parts are manufactured, and some are purchased from vendors, and the whole supply chain has to know in advance what parts are needed at the factory, and when they are needed, to build a particular trim level.

This is the reason they have a limited number of factory trim levels and options (not counting dealer or distributor installed options like carpet mats), so that there is likely some vehicle already in the pipeline that matches the one desired (trim level and color). If the distributor has not already ordered one like that (or already promised all of those to other dealers), then it can take awhile for the next distributor order from the factory, and to make sure they have enough parts on hand to build that trim level.
Except that in the case of the Palisade, supply is so severely constrained (and not just in the US - South Koreans wait 9 months to get their Palisade), there are no "spare" units that the distributor can allocate to dealers. So effectively, they are all factory orders at this time.

·
Banned
25 Posts
Except that in the case of the Palisade, supply is so severely constrained (and not just in the US - South Koreans wait 9 months to get their Palisade), there are no "spare" units that the distributor can allocate to dealers. So effectively, they are all factory orders at this time.
Dealers do not order from the factory. The distributors do that.

I am talking about specific requests for a certain trim level and color combination. Normally, dealers do not specify the exact details of all the vehicles they get from the distributor, unless they have a specific customer request that is not already allocated to them (or likely to be allocated in the near future). Dealers will get a certain percentage (allocation) of the total number of autos previously ordered by the distributor, based on their past history of sales at that dealer and based on supply of new vehicles from the factory. You are correct that the dealer may want more than that, or sometimes less than that.

So if a dealer is supposed to get 4 Palisade Limited's next month, based on their allocation already determined by the distributor (taking into account availability and demand), and a dealer wants a specific exterior/interior color for a customer that has not been allocated to them, they will make a specific request to the distributor. The distributor may be able to shift around allocations to other dealers so that the one dealer gets the color they need, but the total number of vehicles delivered is the same. Of course, a lot of times every dealer may want the same color that is in short supply, and in that case the dealer may have to wait for the next factory order by the distributor, instead of just shuffling vehicles around with the needed color combination.

As I mention before, if a dealers want more Limited trim levels than the distributor planned for (and ordered in advance), that could create supply problems with certain manufacturerd or purchased parts needed by the assembly plant. It is often hard to quickly adjust the mix of trim levels if they got it wrong in their planning, because all the parts needed in final assembly have manufacturing or purchase lead times.

There can also be supply problems just with color combinations, because the interior parts for a particular interior color have manufacturing or purchase lead times, and it is not just a matter of paint.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Dealers do not order from the factory. The distributors do that.
I'm not disputing that or anything else you said. Although I'm not actually familiar with the process, so I can't judge whether what you're saying is correct. And it seems the factory is aware of which dealership the car is going to before it even leaves South Korea.

I said that supply is so severely constrained that all orders to the distributor are effectively turning into factory orders at this point. The distributor doesn't have cars not yet allocated.

·
Super Moderator
1,760 Posts
What's the difference how you say you ordered it.
I ask my sales man to order my palisade , at my dealership
he sent the request to his sales manager, who sent the request
to their ordering department, who sent the order to the distributor
Since the distributor had none in their inventory and none coming
to them they placed a request to the manufacturer for that type Palisade
It is called the supply chain. Why would a company that size take
an order from a salesman.
No matter what you call it requesting a specific vehicle from hyundai
that the distributor doesn't have in stock or in transit is still a factory
order. the dealership can get the vin# as soon as the Palisade starts
to be produced see when it leaves the manufacturer, when it arrives
in port. from the port to the dealership is a guess.
Still sounds like a ordered from factory to me

·
Banned
25 Posts
I'm no disputing that or anything else you said. Although I'm not actually familiar with the process, so I can't judge whether what you're saying is correct. And it seems the factory is aware of which dealership the car is going to before it even leaves South Korea.

I said that supply is so severely constrained that all orders to the distributor are effectively turning into factory orders at this point. The distributor doesn't have cars not yet allocated.
The factory in Korea does not know which cars are going to which US dealers. They get orders from Hyundai Motor America, Hyundai Motor Sales in Korea, and other marketing organizations around the world where Hyundai is sold (depending on the vehicle). It is up to the distributor to order the cars, and distribute them to dealers. If the car is imported, the distributor is the importer of record (not the dealer) and the distributor has to get the car through US customs and puts the "Monroney" window sticker on them (required by US law). The factory obviously knows which distributor is getting the car, because the distributor ordered it, and each distributor has different trim levels, decals, parts (including language elements), and some are left-hand drive, and some are right-hand drive.

I don't understand what you mean by "every order to the distributor is effectively a factory order" when supply is constrained. Dealers are pretty much allocated a certain number of vehicles ahead of time. If they want a specific trim/color combination, the distributor will try and direct a previously ordered one like that to the requesting dealer, which replaces another vehicle that the dealer would have otherwise gotten. As time goes on, Hyundai manufacturing may (and probably has) tried to increase Palisade manufacturing capacity, and the number of vehicles that dealers get may increase over time. But a dealer putting in an order to the distributor usually just swaps out one vehicle for another (with a specific trim and color), and is not a net new one that a dealer is getting.

Again, this is why Hyundai and other manufacturers have a limited number of trim levels, to eliminate the need to have all these special orders, because there is hopefully a vehicle somewhere already in the pipeline with the trim level and color needed (because there are a limited number of combinations). Other automakers, where the factory takes orders from dealers, and they know where each car is going (sometimes they know the customer name), usually have a large number of individual options that can be chosen, and the number of possible combinations is extremely large.

·
Super Moderator
1,760 Posts
It isn't that hard to understand , that is just the way everyone interprets
the vehicle being requested if it is not in stock at dealership is a factory order.
The sales people and managers at dealerships will reference it as such.
Don't know of anyone who thinks a factory order is us ordering from factory.
It is like saying "I got my car today"
or "I received my car today"
No difference just words.

·
Banned
25 Posts
What's the difference how you say you ordered it.
I ask my sales man to order my palisade , at my dealership
he sent the request to his sales manager, who sent the request
to their ordering department, who sent the order to the distributor
Since the distributor had none in their inventory and none coming
to them they placed a request to the manufacturer for that type Palisade
It is called the supply chain. Why would a company that size take
an order from a salesman.
No matter what you call it requesting a specific vehicle from hyundai
that the distributor doesn't have in stock or in transit is still a factory
order. the dealership can get the vin# as soon as the Palisade starts
to be produced see when it leaves the manufacturer, when it arrives
in port. from the port to the dealership is a guess.
Still sounds like a ordered from factory to me
It is different for the following reasons:

1. A dealer (or customer) special request is not a net new order. It will replace another vehicle that the dealer would have received.

2. I am responding to the criticisms about tracking cars from the factory to the dealer. That is why I clarified the process. Dealers don't know the VIN until the car is built and allocated to them by the distributor. Plus, it is just not the normal process that a customer will wait 2-3 months to get one, and most dealer special requests are normally made from autos that he distributor has previously ordered from the factory.

3. The distributor knows exactly where the cars are located that they ordered from the factory (and they know the VIN once they are built). But most of the time they try and find one already built or already ordered that is in the pipeline to satisfy a dealer request. Whether the dealer can find that information really depends on how hard they want to work to get it. I would not take at face value anything a dealer says about that subject, as they have their own priorities.

4. Sometimes things happen where an allocation may not be fulfilled as promised. This could be a need for a specific car for an executive, or a celebrity endorser, or other problems beyond the control of the dealer:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
The factory in Korea does not know which cars are going to which US dealers.
This isn't true. Hyundai lists the cars in their online inventory search as soon as they ship out of South Korea. They list those as "In transit" and show the exact dealership they are going to. The vehicles actually disappear from that online inventory search when the car gets to the port. They reappear when they get to the dealer. This has been mentioned earlier in this thread.

Their online inventory search is located here: Find New Hyundai Cars, SUVs, Hybrids | Dealer Inventory Search

I don't understand what you mean by "every order to the distributor is effectively a factory order" when supply is constrained.
I don't know what you don't understand. You claim dealer orders are fulfilled by a distributor. Whether that's correct is irrelevant. The point I am making is that there's not enough inventory to go around, so any order at this time is a factory order, regardless of who is placing the order (distributor as you claim, or dealer).

Dealers are pretty much allocated a certain number of vehicles ahead of time. If they want a specific trim/color combination, the distributor will try and direct a previously ordered one like that to the requesting dealer, which replaces another vehicle that the dealer would have otherwise gotten. As time goes on, Hyundai manufacturing may (and probably has) tried to increase Palisade manufacturing capacity, and the number of vehicles that dealers get may increase over time. But a dealer putting in an order to the distributor usually just swaps out one vehicle for another (with a specific trim and color), and is not a net new one that a dealer is getting.
Except that it's not what is happening. People are waiting for months because the cars have not yet been built. It's not an allocation from another dealer getting reassigned.

It is different for the following reasons:

1. A dealer (or customer) special request is not a net new order. It will replace another vehicle that the dealer would have received.
Again, while that may be true when supply is plentiful, it's clearly not what's happening right now. People are getting cars that were not built when the order was placed. Goes back to my point that they're all factory orders at this point, regardless of whether there's a distributor acting as a middle man.

Dealers don't know the VIN until the car is built and allocated to them by the distributor.
Again, that's not true. The online inventory search clearly proves that.

3. The distributor knows exactly where the cars are located that they ordered from the factory (and they know the VIN once they are built). But most of the time they try and find one already built or already ordered that is in the pipeline to satisfy a dealer request. Whether the dealer can find that information really depends on how hard they want to work to get it. I would not take at face value anything a dealer says about that subject, as they have their own priorities.
Again, not what is happening right now. People are getting their allocations before the cars are in-country.

By the way, Hyundai Corp is also a logistics company. I'm fairly certain they are their own distributor. They also own their own ships, via their logistics company Glovis.

·
Banned
25 Posts
This isn't true. Hyundai lists the cars in their online inventory search as soon as they ship out of South Korea. They list those as "In transit" and show the exact dealership they are going to. The vehicles actually disappear from that online inventory search when the car gets to the port. They reappear when they get to the dealer. This has been mentioned earlier in this thread.
That information is provided by the distributor, not by the factory. You are distorting what I said.

I don't know what you don't understand. You claim dealer orders are fulfilled by a distributor. Whether that's correct is irrelevant. The point I am making is that there's not enough inventory to go around, so any order at this time is a factory order, regardless of who is placing the order (distributor as you claim, or dealer).
OK, there is not enough Palisade inventory compared to demand. So what?

Except that it's not what is happening. People are waiting for months because the cars have not yet been built. It's not an allocation from another dealer getting reassigned.
I never said that people are waiting for months because because the cars are built but not allocated yet. I said most people don't usually wait that long, and dealers are not used to providing that level of detail tracking information for customers who do want to wait. You keep distorting what I said.

Again, while that may be true when supply is plentiful, it's clearly not what's happening right now. People are getting cars that were not built when the order was placed. Goes back to my point that they're all factory orders at this point, regardless of whether there's a distributor acting as a middle man.
Sorry, your first statement is true, but it does not follow from that that all orders are factory orders because of supply shortages. In some cases, they can allocate previously ordered cars to a specific dealer, or a dealer can trade cars with another dealer after delivery (that is how I got my Hyundai Genesis in 2009). All orders for a Hyundai Palisade made in Korea and sold in the USA come from Hyundai Motor America, not USA dealers. You may think that is a technicality, but some automakers actually take orders directly from dealers.
(or the manufacturer knows the dealer, and sometimes end customer, who will get the car).

Again, not what is happening right now. People are getting their allocations before the cars are in-country.
I never said that every order can be fulfilled by cars already built or already in transit to the USA. But many can, by the distributor (Hyundai Motor America) moving the allocations around bewtwen dealers (trading in effect).

By the way, Hyundai Corp is also a logistics company. I'm fairly certain they are their own distributor. They also own their own ships, via their logistics company Glovis.
You are correct that Glovis Logistics is part of Hyundai Kia Automotive Group. I don't understand what that has to do with anything. For cars sold in the USA, the distributor is Hyundai Motor America, which is obviously owned by Hyundai Motor Korea, part of the Hyundai Kia Automotive Group.

BTW, at one time Hyundai Kia Automotive Group was part of the larger Hyundai conglomerate that built ships, did major construction projects, manufactured semi-conductors, and were involved in many different businesses. But that conglomerate was split into multiple companies that still bear the Hyundai name, so Hyundai Kia Automotive Group is now a separate company.

I think we are arguing about nothing. I was just responding to the complaints about people not being able to track their "orders" as well as they would like, and trying to explain some of the reason why that is.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
That information is provided by the distributor, not by the factory. You are distorting what I said.

OK, there is not enough Palisade inventory compared to demand. So what?

I never said that people are waiting for months because because the cars are built but not allocated yet. I said most people don't usually wait that long, and dealers are not used to providing that level of detail tracking information for customers who do want to wait. You keep distorting what I said.

Sorry, your first statement is true, but it does not follow from that that all orders are factory orders because of supply shortages. In some cases, they can allocate previously ordered cars to a specific dealer, or a dealer can trade cars with another dealer after delivery (that is how I got my Hyundai Genesis in 2009). All orders for a Hyundai Palisade made in Korea and sold in the USA come from Hyundai Motor America, not USA dealers. You may think that is a technicality, but some automakers actually take orders directly from dealers.
(or the manufacturer knows the dealer, and sometimes end customer, who will get the car).

I never said that every order can be fulfilled by cars already built or already in transit to the USA. But many can, by the distributor (Hyundai Motor America) moving the allocations around bewtwen dealers (trading in effect).

You are correct that Glovis Logistics is part of Hyundai Kia Automotive Group. I don't understand what that has to do with anything. For cars sold in the USA, the distributor is Hyundai Motor America, which is obviously owned by Hyundai Motor Korea, part of the Hyundai Kia Automotive Group.

BTW, at one time Hyundai Kia Automotive Group was part of the larger Hyundai conglomerate that built ships, did major construction projects, manufactured semi-conductors, and were involved in many different businesses. But that conglomerate was split into multiple companies that still bear the Hyundai name, so Hyundai Kia Automotive Group is now a separate company.

I think we are arguing about nothing. I was just responding to the complaints about people not being able to track their "orders" as well as they would like, and trying to explain some of the reason why that is.

So... you posted to explain that the reason we can't track cars is because there's a distributor involved.

Yet, at the end of this conversation, it is clear that the distributor is part of Hyundai Motor Group and so is the logistics company.

You even point out in your last post that the distributor is the one populating the VINs on Hyundai's website. So it's unclear to me why having a distributor makes things more difficult to track. Clearly, they're capable of updating a website in an automated fashion.

Why is that such a stretch to ask that the logistics branch (which is the one causing delays at the port) provide tracking? If the distributor can, and they both are part of Hyundai Motors, why can't they? Many other manufacturers do.

That's all we're asking for. That doesn't seem so hard to fulfill.

·
Banned
25 Posts
So... you posted to explain that the reason we can't track cars is because there's a distributor involved.

Yet, at the end of this conversation, it is clear that the distributor is part of Hyundai Motor Group and so is the logistics company.

You even point out in your last post that the distributor is the one populating the VINs on Hyundai's website. So it's unclear to me why having a distributor makes things more difficult to track. Clearly, they're capable of updating a website in an automated fashion.

Why is that such a stretch to ask that the logistics branch (which is the one causing delays at the port) provide tracking? If the distributor can, and they both are part of Hyundai Motors, why can't they? Many other manufacturers do.

That's all we're asking for. That doesn't seem so hard to fulfill.
Some of the facts you claim above are not true.

What you don't understand is that a customer who "orders" a car, even if they are given the VIN, that car does not belong to the customer and can be given to someone else at any time. If a ship sinks, then any cars allocated to dealers on that ship are going to be replaced by other ones that may have been planned for other dealers or customers, and the VIN number you have been given is no longer yours. YOU ARE NOT ORDERING FROM THE FACTORY, you are only putting in a request for a certain trim level and color.

Also, most Hyundai's sold in the USA are built in the USA. I wouldn't be surprised if they start making Palisade in the USA at some future date (Kia Telluride is already made in USA). So, this whole thing is being blown out of proportion. Everyone is a expert and thinks they can run Hyundai Motor better than the people running it. That is the nature of the Internet. Given how often they have replaced the CEO of Hyundai Motor America, I think you should apply for the job, since you think you are smarter then the current management.

Hyundai has some problems, and management is not prefect, but this is pretty close to the bottom of the list of things they need to work on.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Some of the facts you claim above are not true.

What you don't understand is that a customer who "orders" a car, even if they are given the VIN, that car does not belong to the customer and can be given to someone else at any time. If a ship sinks, then any cars allocated to dealers on that ship are going to be replaced by other ones that may have been planned for other dealers or customers, and the VIN number you have been given is no longer yours. YOU ARE NOT ORDERING FROM THE FACTORY, you are only putting in a request for a certain trim level and color.

Also, most Hyundai's sold in the USA are built in the USA. I wouldn't be surprised if they start making Palisade in the USA at some future date (Kia Telluride is already made in USA). So, this whole thing is being blown out of proportion. Everyone is a expert and thinks they can run Hyundai Motor better than the people running it. That is the nature of the Internet. Given how often they have replaced the CEO of Hyundai Motor America, I think you should apply for the job, since you think you are smarter then the current management.

Hyundai has some problems, and management is not prefect, but this is pretty close to the bottom of the list of things they need to work on.
Holy crap, read the f'in thread already. People want updates when the car is AT THE PORT. We are not talking about transit TO the port. This is the part we're all complaining about: no updates AT THE PORT.

When my car was stuck at the port, I already had the VIN number. The port was not providing updates to the dealer when they could have.

Again, since you don't seem to get it: I HAD THE VIN NUMBER. It was assigned to me. Not just to the dealer, but to me specifically.

Obviously, if they discovered a major issue with the car at the port, they would switch to a different car. Nobody's arguing that.

And nothing I said was incorrect! Hyundai America (which you call the distributor) is providing the info on the Hyundai inventory website. YOU STATED THAT. Not me. It's not that hard to comprehend that we want the logistics side to also provide updates. Enough already, you have not provided a SINGLE REASON why this isn't possible.

·
Banned
25 Posts
Holy crap, read the f'in thread already. People want updates when the car is AT THE PORT. We are not talking about transit TO the port. This is the part we're all complaining about: no updates AT THE PORT.

When my car was stuck at the port, I already had the VIN number. The port was not providing updates to the dealer when they could have.

Again, since you don't seem to get it: I HAD THE VIN NUMBER. It was assigned to me. Not just to the dealer, but to me specifically.

Obviously, if they discovered a major issue with the car at the port, they would switch to a different car. Nobody's arguing that.

And nothing I said was incorrect! Hyundai America (which you call the distributor) is providing the info on the Hyundai inventory website. YOU STATED THAT. Not me. It's not that hard to comprehend that we want the logistics side to also provide updates. Enough already, you have not provided a SINGLE REASON why this isn't possible.
I get what your are saying. But I think you are complaining about minor things. The vast majority of Hyundai vehicles sold in the USA are made in the USA, and even for those made in Korea, special customer orders are not the norm.

The car was not assigned to you, it was assigned to the dealer and the dealer is reserving it for you. But even so, the distributor and/or dealer has the right to revoke that at any time for any reason. If you signed a sales contract, and/or put down a deposit, read the fine print.

Cars can sit at a port of entry for a relatively long time as the distributor has to go through the US customs and import process, and add their options (like fake protection packages, wheel locks, etc) and put on the Monroney window sticker, then send to dealer by rail and/or truck in an efficient and cost effective manner. They are not sending trucks to dealers with just one or two cars on it, and that can cause a further delay. If a car is sitting at the port of entry for a few weeks, what are you going to do about it?

I once did a "special order" on a Toyota built in Japan, and the dealer called me about 7 weeks later when the car arrived at the dealer. Not one stick of information provided before then.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.