Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious - I have trained myself to shut it off as soon as I start driving. Wondering how many of you like the system and let it do its thing or not? My only concern, being a retired engineer and somewhat anal,is the long term durability effects on the starter and any other components involved in many start/stop cycles. Am I being too anal?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Start-stop was turned off almost immediately as soon as I brought home the car. Seems like a fine enough system, but I've got my concerns about long-term viability as well, and the marginal fuel savings is practically meaningless to me. But most of all, I loathed the "feeling" of the car stopping and starting. It's just not a smooth or comfortable feeling. I don't care that the system is, as others have put it, better or smoother than other manufacturer's stop-start systems. Regardless I really just do not like the stop-start feeling in any way. I hate the "oops i stalled my car" feeling (left over muscle memory from years of exclusively driving a manual gearbox), i hate the noise the engine has to make stopping and starting back up, etc.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I normally hate start/stop systems, but find the one on the Palisade to be among the lease intrusive systems I've ever experienced. I'm used to it now and just let it do its thing.

·
Super Moderator
427 Posts
Hyundai states it has a special engineered starter which will handle the starts and stops.
We have a 100,000 mile warranty on it so not really worried.
Some people don't like the system, I don't even notice it in this car and don't really hear any noise at restart.
Guess that is because I have driven cars with this feature before, and this one works almost seamlessly .

·
Registered
41 Posts
Initially I really disliked the start/stop feature and would disable it every time I started the car. After awhile I got tired of that and just left it enabled and after having the car for 4 months I barely even notice it. The one thing I don't like is when parking in the garage I have to slowly "inch" in and if the car stops the engine will shut off. So when parking in the garage I do disable the start/stop. I wish I didn't have to do this, but it's a small inconvenience. As for the reliability issues, as an engineer I know that a properly designed and built system can easily last many thousands of start/stop cycles. Think about USPS, UPS and FedEx delivery trucks. These vehicles easily start and stop 50 times or more per day and go years without failure. Again the key is that the system is properly engineered. That being said, I do have a 120,000 mile warranty so if it does break it will be an inconvenience but not a cost issue.

·
Super Moderator
427 Posts
Initially I really disliked the start/stop feature and would disable it every time I started the car. After awhile I got tired of that and just left it enabled and after having the car for 4 months I barely even notice it. The one thing I don't like is when parking in the garage I have to slowly "inch" in and if the car stops the engine will shut off. So when parking in the garage I do disable the start/stop. I wish I didn't have to do this, but it's a small inconvenience. As for the reliability issues, as an engineer I know that a properly designed and built system can easily last many thousands of start/stop cycles. Think about USPS, UPS and FedEx delivery trucks. These vehicles easily start and stop 50 times or more per day and go years without failure. Again the key is that the system is properly engineered. That being said, I do have a 120,000 mile warranty so if it does break it will be an inconvenience but not a cost issue.
The engine will shut off if you press hard on the brake. When pulling in to the garage don't press that hard, you can still press hard enough to stop without it shutting off. Some might call it a fine line between shutting off and not. I've had no problems with it when pulling in garage.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I drove a rental Tahoe and the Start/Stop was awful, driving me nuts. I don't mind the one in the Palisade at all. I barely notice it and it's not jerky at all. I do hate pulling into the garage and having it stop and start again only to be shut off. Just have to undo my seatbelt sooner!

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I am done driving and shutting the car off I no longer push the transmission park button first. Instead I just push the start/stop button and the car puts itself into park automatically.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Will the automatic application of the parking brake still happen when hitting the start/stop button with the Palisade transmission still in gear?

·
Registered
347 Posts
That is still based on if the car senses its on hill. Parking break always a good idea. I still mostly do park 1st, but stop makes sense. I had some minor worry it was better to do Park then Stop...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Internet car guru Scotty Kilmer doesn't like them. Scotty has a great following on YT. Hear him opine on Start Stop

·
Registered
347 Posts
I like Scotty to an extent but do not trust him fully, I take his Videos with a big grain of salt... Going to watch the Video as I have many of his. That said despite his claims of being unbiased and only basing his Opinions on his "Mechanic experience" he like many media outlets is both a Click Baiter and not fully trust worthy within his videos.

-Headline/Title does not always match the content (many come from 30 seconds of a user question).
-Some of his opinions appear biased.

At the very least his perspective on car reliability is tilted toward Hot Climates and Used Car longevity, not new car longevity. That is he does not concern himself with whether a New Car might be relatively problem free for 50,000 to 150,000 miles where many will trade there cars in by. Generally he is talking about cars that are 10 to 20 years old and how long they will last. And hey I get it I still have a 2005 Odyessy (car he slammed) besides a Palisade.

-He also tends to be a Toyota fan boy ignoring their recalls and issues more then other manufactures.

Note all cars manufactures have reliability issues that change over time and by model year. They're based on averages. You want to try to avoid Car model/years that have way more problems then others but your still not guaranteed to be problem or recall free.

·
Super Moderator
427 Posts
That's why you buy a Hyundai or Kia, for the 10 year or 100,000 mile warranty. Who cares how many times it starts or stops, Let Hyundai or Kia replace the parts.
I'm more interested in how the Atkinson cycle is going to holdup, But again that is Hyundai and Kia's problem. I don't keep a vehicle longer than the warranty period.
If everything Scotty says is true, and I don't doubt him, You'd think he'd love the system.
Think of all the business he will get to go along with the money for advertising the Prius

·
Registered
5 Posts
I looked at a lot of luxury vehicles in the Palisade’s class, including Cadillac, Lincoln and Audi. A major selling point for me is being able to cancel the ‘Start-Stop,’ which I despise. Once I found a particular make/model did not have the ability to cancel the ‘Start-Stop,’ it was quickly taken off my list. I chose the Palisade and saved over $30K in the process. I’m not into the ‘status’ of luxury vehicles, only the result. The Palisade is above and beyond what I expected!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just curious - I have trained myself to shut it off as soon as I start driving. Wondering how many of you like the system and let it do its thing or not? My only concern, being a retired engineer and somewhat anal,is the long term durability effects on the starter and any other components involved in many start/stop cycles. Am I being too anal?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hyundai states it has a special engineered starter which will handle the starts and stops.
We have a 100,000 mile warranty on it so not really worried.
Some people don't like the system, I don't even notice it in this car and don't really hear any noise at restart.
Guess that is because I have driven cars with this feature before, and this one works almost seamlessly .
Will the automatic application of the parking brake still happen when hitting the start/stop button with the Palisade transmission still in gear?
Absolutely.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts