Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

This is my first ever new vehicle purchase. I've always purchased used in the past. Pretty exciting! In any case, I'm seeing lots of posts here about a Hyundai Platinum warranty, and I bought an extended warranty, and I don't think i bought exactly that.. Happy to cancel and buy the correct one from Crystal, if that's the smart move.

Okay so in addition to the vehicle, I paid for a vehicle service contract as well as a maintenance wrap. FYI I live in the Bay Are in California, relatively high cost of living area, for context.

Vehicle Services Contract - I paid $1,600 for a 120 month / 100,000 mile vehicle services contract. If I get service at the dealership, there is no deductible. Did I get sold a warranty that isn't the official Hyundai warranty? Or is this something else? Honestly the fact that I can't answer these questions myself is making me feel a bit dumb, but I'm comforted by the 30 day termination policy in both of these agreements. I don' see a mention of a Platinum Plan, and It's a Zurich warranty. I also don't see Hyundai logos on this,

Maintenance Wrap - I paid $1,500. This covers all scheduled maintenance + oil changes for 6 years / 90,000 miles. I know my car came with the first 3 years for free. So I'm pre-paying $500 / year for the last 3 years. I feel okay with this, but I'm not sure I'll get to 90,000 miles in six years.

Can someone help me decipher the vehicle services contract? I BELIEVE I bought a 3rd party extended warranty, rather than the official Hyundai extended warranty. It seems like the right approach here would be to cancel the vehicle services contract and then buy the Hyundai Platinum Warranty through another seller, but I just want to get some more educated opinions on this. Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, @ jetech00001. So to be clear, you believe that I should cancel the Vehicle Services Contract, as that's a 3rd party warranty. The maintenance wrap is just my own personal preference. That's an official Hyundai product. Cancel the VSC AND buy the Hyundai Platinum Warranty.

EDIT: Is there any chance that my VSC is better than the Hyundai Platinum plan? For example, I see that my VSC covers up to $40 / day for rental car reimbursement. The platinum plan covers $35 / day. Of course that's a small thing, but... hmmm... As I read the fine print, my VSC does not cover brakes, but the Hyundai Platinum plan DOES cover brakes.

·
Super Moderator
554 Posts
manufactures extra warranty in my opinion is always better less hassle when getting repairs and as far as brakes it would cover brake system parts but not pads or rotors as these are wear items

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Hi All,

This is my first ever new vehicle purchase. I've always purchased used in the past. Pretty exciting! In any case, I'm seeing lots of posts here about a Hyundai Platinum warranty, and I bought an extended warranty, and I don't think i bought exactly that.. Happy to cancel and buy the correct one from Crystal, if that's the smart move.

Okay so in addition to the vehicle, I paid for a vehicle service contract as well as a maintenance wrap. FYI I live in the Bay Are in California, relatively high cost of living area, for context.

Vehicle Services Contract - I paid $1,600 for a 120 month / 100,000 mile vehicle services contract. If I get service at the dealership, there is no deductible. Did I get sold a warranty that isn't the official Hyundai warranty? Or is this something else? Honestly the fact that I can't answer these questions myself is making me feel a bit dumb, but I'm comforted by the 30 day termination policy in both of these agreements. I don' see a mention of a Platinum Plan, and It's a Zurich warranty. I also don't see Hyundai logos on this,

Maintenance Wrap - I paid $1,500. This covers all scheduled maintenance + oil changes for 6 years / 90,000 miles. I know my car came with the first 3 years for free. So I'm pre-paying $500 / year for the last 3 years. I feel okay with this, but I'm not sure I'll get to 90,000 miles in six years.

Can someone help me decipher the vehicle services contract? I BELIEVE I bought a 3rd party extended warranty, rather than the official Hyundai extended warranty. It seems like the right approach here would be to cancel the vehicle services contract and then buy the Hyundai Platinum Warranty through another seller, but I just want to get some more educated opinions on this. Thanks!
In my opinion, you got a pretty decent deal at $1,600 for 120 months/100k miles. But without knowing the extent of the coverage, that's hard to tell. For reference, details of the Hyundai plans are here, but they don't offer much info: HMF - Hyundai Protection Plan

·
Registered
66 Posts
Congrats on the 'new' purchase.
My paperwork says HYUNDAI PROTECTION PLAN VEHICLE SERVICE CONTRACT on page 1 of 11. Service contract information has 10/120,000; Platinum; 0 deductible. Then the next page (2) outlines everything. Heading is HYUNDAI PROTECTION PLAN VEHICLE SERVICE CONTRACT TERMS & CONDITIONS. I have 11 pages with this in the lower right corner of the pages HYVSC 10/19.

Crystal is selling the 10/100,000 zero deductible Platinum plan for $1,398. The 10/120,000 for $1,598. If it is the HPP you purchased from the dealer you got a really good deal. It is within $200 of Crystal's price. You'll have to pay by credit card if you purchase from Crystal. According to HPP, in California you have 60 days to cancel for a full refund (page 6).

HPP will pay for reasonable, necessary and customary diagnostic charges incurred in conjunction with a covered repair, not to exceed the labor time in a nationally recognized parts and labor guide such as as Mitchell or Alldata.

Related damage coverage: We will pay for the replacement of brake pads, belts and hoses that are damaged and require replacement as a direct result of a covered Mechanical Breakdown. This coverage includes disc brake rotor or brake drum resurfacing required as a direct result of a covered Mechanical Breakdown.

The Platinum coverage plan includes coverage for ALL Covered parts under the Powertrain and Gold coverage plans plus ANY OTHER MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN except for those items listed in the sections "EXCLUSIONS FROM COVERAGE" and "LIMITS OF LIABILITY." (when the plan is exclusionary, everything is covered if it doesn't say it isn't covered)

I did find information on the Zurich warranty you purchased. I think you would have to purchase the Zurich Comprehensive plan for it to be comparable to the HPP Platinum plan.

Best Features Of Zurich Warranty Coverage
Zurich auto warranty plans come with additional benefits for drivers. Trip interruption, rental car reimbursement, and roadside assistance can all help you stay on the road when you have a breakdown. These roadside benefits are included with all levels of protection.
Unlike most extended warranties offered by dealerships, you can choose to have your car repaired at any ASE-licensed repair shop with a Zurich warranty. Many dealership warranties require that you have your vehicle serviced at the dealership for the repair to be covered, so this is a major benefit of the Zurich extended warranty.

How Does A Zurich Warranty Work?
As an insurance provider, all Zurich vehicle protection plans are backed by the insurance division of Zurich. Having an insurance-backed extended warranty is important, so you know your claim has the necessary financial backing.
Zurich Warranty Claims Process
If you experience a breakdown, take your vehicle to your preferred repair shop. The repair shop will diagnose your vehicle. For covered components or repairs, you must have your repair shop or dealership service center file a claim with Zurich. The shop will receive an authorization number. If the Zurich warranty claims team authorizes the repair, your shop can complete repairs to your vehicle.
Most Zurich plans require you to pay a deductible after your vehicle is repaired. When you pick up your car, you’ll pay the deductible amount, usually up to $200. The rest of the authorized amount is paid to the repair shop by Zurich directly.
Can You Transfer A Zurich Auto Warranty?
Yes, you can transfer your Zurich warranty to a new owner. In fact, offering a vehicle with an extended car warranty could help increase the resale value of your car.

Zurich also offers a lot of other protection plans. Road Hazard Tire & Wheel, Prepaid Maintenance contract, Premier Dent coverage, Zurich Shield, Key protection, and the list goes on.

Hope this helps.

Bob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In my opinion, you got a pretty decent deal at $1,600 for 120 months/100k miles. But without knowing the extent of the coverage, that's hard to tell. For reference, details of the Hyundai plans are here, but they don't offer much info: HMF - Hyundai Protection Plan
Yeah - I feel like I got a good deal as well. I'd give myself a pat on the back for negotiating, but the fact that I'm sifting through paperwork trying to figure out what I've purchased makes me doubt myself haha. For reference, it's only two dollars more than the Platinum warranty that Crystal sells on the forum here. It's also quite similar.

As I look through the fine print, here are some differences...
  • Trip coverage - My warranty: $250 / day. Hyundai: $200 / day
  • 24 hour roadside assistance - My warranty: $100 cap per towing incident. Hyundai: appears to be no cap, but I haven't seen the fine print.
  • Rental car coverage - My warranty: $40 / day. Hyundai: $35 / day
  • Deductible - My warranty $0 if I take it to my dealership, $100 elsewhere. Hyundai: $0 at authorized repair center
I did find information on the Zurich warranty you purchased. I think you would have to purchase the Zurich Comprehensive plan for it to be comparable to the HPP Platinum plan.
Yup. I got the comprehensive plan. So at the very worst, it looks like I have a comparable plan to the HPP, maybe a little better or maybe a little worse.

So now that the dust has settled and I've read the fine print, it looks like I got a good deal. I basically paid the same price as the platinum warranty, and I have roughly similar coverage. However, if I get repairs taken care of somewhere other than my dealership, I have to pay $100. I also don't have the peace of mind of this warranty being through Hyundai directly... This would be a lot easier of a decision if I would have paid the first price they quoted me hahahaha, but at basically being at price parity with the Hyundai Platinum warranty, it's a tougher call.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would suggest you call a few Hyundai dealerships around the Bay area, starting with those you'd think you might use if you didn't go to your dealership, and see if they accept the Zurich extended warranty, and what they think of it if they have used them. It does say any dealership or state-licensed repair facility. That could be your neighborhood mechanic if he/she is state-licensed.

If you PM me with an email I'll send you a pdf of my HPP so you can compare the details to Zurich.
Bob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Read your contract it will explain how to cancel !! and yes its a third party contract
READ THE HELP REQUEST. Person said they can't decipher the strangely written language.
" I paid $1,600 for a 120 month / 100,000 mile vehicle services contract. If I get service at the dealership, there is no deductible. Did I get sold a warranty that isn't the official Hyundai warranty? Or is this something else? Honestly the fact that I can't answer these questions myself is making me feel a bit dumb, but I'm comforted by the 30 day termination policy in both of these agreements. I don' see a mention of a Platinum Plan, and It's a Zurich warranty. I also don't see Hyundai logos on this,
Super Moderator 00001 not helping!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi All,

Yes cancel. Put $1500 in the bank for car repairs. Spend only after 3years, you'll do much better.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Yes cancel. Put $1500 in the bank for car repairs. Spend only after 3years, you'll do much better.
This is bad advice. The need for an extended warranty is unique to every driver. It depends on financial situation, how many miles/day the car is driven... etc. If someone needs an extended warranty, they're better off buying it with the car because 1) it's more expensive if you buy it later and 2) it can be rolled into the monthly payments.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I totally get the logic that I'll probably make out ahead that way. I'm okay with paying a premium for peace of mind. I understand that warranties are profit centers for companies. For some purchases, I decide to purchase one. For others, I decide not.

·
Registered
161 Posts
After being burned by having a 3rd party coverage in the past, I will never buy anything but the manufacturer's protection plans. It avoids the finger pointing that could potentially occur between Hyundai and the third party and it's just one more organization to deal with potentially at a time when you just want to get your car fixed and get on with your life. Additionally, to me, the freedom to be able to go to any dealership and get the exact same coverage is important. If things sour with one, just take your business to another.

·
Registered
123 Posts
One issue I've had with 3rd party service contracts is they won't authorize a repair without a full diagnosis, which could involve a major tear down. Then if they deny coverage you're stuck with a broken car that sits in pieces while you argue with the service contract issuer to get them to cover it. I lived through this one time and said never again. I've never had any problems with a dealer issued service contract, but that could be because I've always had the dealer service my cars so they knew they were properly maintained. Not saying that this is typical but that has been my experience. Given the competitive pricing Crystal offers makes it a no-brainer to stick with the Hyundai service contract, at least in my opinion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi All,

Hi All,

Hi, Im in the Bay Area as well. Just bought 2021 AWD Calligraphy last night and joined the forum just now. Same questions here. Purchased a warranty thinking it was Hyundai, but paperwork says United States Warranty Corp. Guess its 3rd party? Help! Whats my best move here?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hi, Im in the Bay Area as well. Just bought 2021 AWD Calligraphy last night and joined the forum just now. Same questions here. Purchased a warranty thinking it was Hyundai, but paperwork says United States Warranty Corp. Guess its 3rd party? Help! Whats my best move here?
Reach out to Crystal, and get the real HPP warranty. You should have a clause in your current warrant for full refund if cancelled within 30 days.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts