Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prior to this fall, I never really considered a Hyundai or Kia. Then, I saw the glowing reviews for the Palisade/Telluride, and my wife and I decided we might buy one. We went out to test drive one a few months ago, and dealers told us that we would have to order one with a long wait for MSRP or higher.

We decided to wait. We went to another dealer a few weeks ago, and were told they 'weren't even letting people test drive them anymore.' And given this whole explanation about how they are going at far over MSRP, etc.

I totally understand that dealers are going to behave this way for a car that is selling quickly with limited inventory, but Hyundai isn't Porsche. If I go into the dealer, I generally expect that they will have cars available at MSRP or below. Personally, it has turned me off to the brand. We are now waiting to look at the new Toyota Highlander. We might give it one more shot in January, but I think the manufacturer has made a significant mistake by failing to manage inventory better.

·
Super Moderator
993 Posts
Check out the Buick enclave also. Rides really nice, I decided against it because no heads up display, And price

·
Registered
6 Posts
Prior to this fall, I never really considered a Hyundai or Kia. Then, I saw the glowing reviews for the Palisade/Telluride, and my wife and I decided we might buy one. We went out to test drive one a few months ago, and dealers told us that we would have to order one with a long wait for MSRP or higher.

We decided to wait. We went to another dealer a few weeks ago, and were told they 'weren't even letting people test drive them anymore.' And given this whole explanation about how they are going at far over MSRP, etc.

I totally understand that dealers are going to behave this way for a car that is selling quickly with limited inventory, but Hyundai isn't Porsche. If I go into the dealer, I generally expect that they will have cars available at MSRP or below. Personally, it has turned me off to the brand. We are now waiting to look at the new Toyota Highlander. We might give it one more shot in January, but I think the manufacturer has made a significant mistake by failing to manage inventory better.
That's strange and quite shameful actually. But looks like reports all vary depending on where you live. Here in upstate NY, I didn't have a problem test driving the Palisade or the Telluride and prices weren't crazy. But its not surprise if some of the Hyundai/Kia dealers are being shitty. It's no secret that the dealer experience isn't one of their strong points and the corporations know this. I think with the new and exciting models coming out now, they dealers will probably realize that they're hanging with the big boys now and they have to stop acting like scumbags. I sort of understand the miscalculation from Hyundai's part for the vehicle. This is their first venture into the 3-row crossovers after a long hiatus so looks like they went with the conservative approach.

But best of luck and I hope you reconsider. Really enjoyed the Palisade Limited and there's so much the vehicle offers.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts

Yeah, there's clearly not enough inventory. But it's not Hyundai's fault that some dealers are asking above MSRP. It's greedy dealers' fault. Walk out of those places and don't give them your business.

While you're at it, walk out of dealerships that won't let you test drive. Limited may be... well... limited, but they can do test drives. Saying no to a test drive is ludicrous.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah, there's clearly not enough inventory. But it's not Hyundai's fault that some dealers are asking above MSRP. It's greedy dealers' fault. Walk out of those places and don't give them your business.

While you're at it, walk out of dealerships that won't let you test drive. Limited may be... well... limited, but they can do test drives. Saying no to a test drive is ludicrous.
Agree to all of this! Hopefully this whole experience will suss out the scumbags with public reviews. So far all of the dealerships that I've visited have been completely fair and professional. The ones that I didn't were because I got bad impressions over email correspondences. Funny enough, the same shitbags have been calling me up now that they've received more inventory!

Maybe branch hour and take a punt on some other dealerships further away from your area?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I wonder how much control Hyundai has with how much the dealerships are charging.
Here in Chicago, there are no issues with finding Limiteds to test drive, though if you want a specific color combo to buy, things get dicey. Also the vast majority of the dealers are sticking with MSRP for the Limited, but not above it, with the exception of the greedy few.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My local dealership has 16 (that's right, 16) Limited Palisades in stock. Some area dealerships in a 100 mile radius have none or only one limited. Not sure how my dealership ended up with so many Limiteds, maybe they just are not selling in my area.

I went in for the second time today to test drive, and picked the one I liked best and asked for an out-the-door price including my trade in. No surprise, they were the lowest offer on my trade, and wanted me to pay MSRP for their Limited. I walked. I'd need them to come down in price about $5,000 before I would buy. From my research, I know it could happen. Not sure how greedy my dealership is, but 16 Limiteds on the lot probably isn't a very good sign.

·
Registered
59 Posts
That'd probably put you at the best price on a limited anyone has received.
Just to be clear, I'm looking for $3000 more on my trade, and for them to come down $2000 on the price of the vehicle, which would be fair for them and me. Right now they are offering MSRP on the Palisade and they lowballed me on my trade. Heck, even Carmax offered me $1000 more to just walk in and sell them my vehicle, which is just sad, considering Carmax was at the low end of the price range, and my car is in outstanding condition. The Hyundai dealership didn't even LOOK at my trade, just went off the VIN and offered me lower than auction price.

I know its a starting point, but I HATE how these car dealerships make you haggle if you want to get a fair price. Its turned me off, so much that I'm probably not even going to buy right now. When they contact me in a day or two (which you know they will) I'm thinking of saying they should come down $9000, and that I'd be doing them a favor since they have so many Palisades sitting on their lot, just to piss them off and give them a taste of their own medicine. I'm sure they could tell I was offended when I left the dealership. They give me their stupid 4 square paper and wanted me to "sign that I accept" their stupid deal, and I'm even a cash buyer and was working with their internet department and I made it pretty clear up front I was an educated buyer. The funny part is I think they told me 5 different times in my two visits that they would "make me a heck of a deal."

·
Registered
864 Posts
Never negotiate in person. Going in to a dealership is for test driving to figure out what you want and for taking delivery of the agreed on deal. Nothing good can come from trying to negotiate in person.

I'd also recommend getting a purchase quote on your trade in from Carvana, Shift, and Vroom. They all tend to offer more than CarMax and will come pick the car up. Unless you live in a state where there's a big tax advantage to trading in your vehicle, doing it as part of a new vehicle purchase rarely makes sense. It's just an easy way for a dealer to move funds back and forth (show a huge discount but give a poor trade in or vice versa).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for the quote suggestions. I'll look into it, if I decide to buy now.

Yeah, I was figuring out what I wanted in a Palisade and went a second time today to take a harder look at the Beige interior which to me doesn't go well with the Steel Graphite. I don't get why they don't offer Beige interior with the Rainforest. Kinda like earthy color with earthy color, but you can't do it -- go build a Rainforest on the national website and see. No matter, I think I actually like black interior better. Have an Ivory (off whitish) leather with a dark gray on our Limited Chrysler Pacifica, and it looks very sharp. The Steel Graphite with the Palisade beige just wasn't doing it for me. And the Beige I test drove today, the hand grip on the driver's door is ALREADY discolored, like from dirty hands closing the door. On a new car, with under 50 miles. Imagine what that will look like after a few thousand miles. They probably should have made the door handle black, like Chrysler did on the Pacifica with light interior.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have Rainforest and I remember that it wasn’t available online build with the Beige interior

Then two months ago while I was at the dealer service I strolled over to their retail lot, and lo and behold what did I see?
A rainforest Limited with beige interior!!! I was shocked to see it since I didn’t think it was available, but I saw the unicorn with my own eyes!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
@DinnerTime, did you get the Palisade? Did the dealer call you back? What happened? Interested to know as Im trying to get a deal now on a 2020 Limited.
Ha-ha, thanks for resurrecting an old thread. Some of what I posted in my last post is not accurate. Our Chysler Pacifica van actually has a gray interior, not ivory. I think my in-law's van has ivory leather. And I ended up buying a Palisade Limited in Steel Graphite with Beige interior. My initial impression was I was not fond of that color combiation, especially when I saw the dirty leather on the new vehicle (probably from a mechanic moving it on the lot). But after I saw it a few more times, the beige color grew on me, and now I love it. The interior isn't hard to keep clean at all, and it looks classy.

The dealer did call back, and they pretty much came to my price when they saw I wasn't going to budge. Plus I was fortunate that the next nearest dealer, only about 45 min away, had an IDENTICAL Limited Steel Graphite with beige interior. They were more rural, so probably don't get a lot of traffic (it was the only Limited Palisade they had in stock). When I went to buy at the dealership closest to me, I said come to this price, or I'm going to go to this dealership and offer them the same deal on their Palisade with my trade, and of course they had to make me wait a little (always got to play games) but then they came back and said congrats on your new car. I don't remember how much time transpired there, but it was about 3 weeks total from when I started test driving to when I actually bought. If you want your best deal, you're going to have to give it some time. Unless you're buying close outs that are already discounted heavily, that price may be as low as you're going to get.

I'm am loving the Palisade. Great vehicle all around, looks nice, great tech, very comfortable ride, pretty much checked all of the boxes for me. Probably my biggest complaint would be gas milage. I have the AWD, and from fill-up to fill-up I get around 22 for gas milage with combined city/highway, with a little more highway than city. And that's driving conservation with no heavy foot.

I plan to keep this Palisade Limited for a long time. The longest I have kept a vehicle is 9 years. Will have to see if I can keep this one that long.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Did you look at True Car? You can get one for under MSRP in some areas. I was told I couldn't get under and might pay over... After much negotiation, I got an AWD Limited last month for about $1,700 off MSRP in NC. Another person mentioned she got $3k off.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Did you look at True Car? You can get one for under MSRP in some areas. I was told I couldn't get under and might pay over... After much negotiation, I got an AWD Limited last month for about $1,700 off MSRP in NC. Another person mentioned she got $3k off.
I agree my sales guy told me the 2021 Limited's are selling over MSRP. I said, I know they are selling over for Telluride's (which I was strongly considering and would have preferred based on the body style) but I am not paying that and I am not paying over MSRP for the Palisade based on the research I have done. I offered $1734 under MSRP and told them I was not paying ANY FEE's so they backed the price down to $45,805 (to offset the fee's). Win/Win!

·
Registered
26 Posts
It seems that Limited AWD is a rare option. I'm shopping for 2020 model to take advantage of 0% financing, but none of my local dealers (in San Gabriel valley area, east of Los Angeles) has it. Even 2021 model, they only have FWD, and there is no estimate on the incoming inventory.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It seems that Limited AWD is a rare option. I'm shopping for 2020 model to take advantage of 0% financing, but none of my local dealers (in San Gabriel valley area, east of Los Angeles) has it. Even 2021 model, they only have FWD, and there is no estimate on the incoming inventory.
Completely based on location, search farther North (where it snows) and all you see is AWD.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Completely based on location, search farther North (where it snows) and all you see is AWD.
Thanks for the tip. Even though I live on Southern CA, I'm a skier, so AWD is a must for me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts