Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 97 Expedition in 99. Very good car but things went wrong with it that really shouldn't have. Replaced it with an '04 which I still have with 300K miles on it. A lot less problems with this car. I realized at some point that likely the problems with the earlier Expy was it was the first model year. Now I am pining for a Palisade and it will be the first new car (at age 66) I have ever bought. I always bought used and ran the wheels off of my cars and that kind of disipline has kept my auto costs very low. (Paid my daughter's tuition in full).
Anyhow, my neck no longer turns very well and so I am looking for a vehicle that is rich in all the new safety features, collision avoidance, rear whatchamacallit, side be careful. I was particularly enthralled with the video that pops up when you put on a turn signal.
I am a bit concerned with that model year matter. I hate being a $50,000 beta tester. (My 97 and 04 Expeditions cost less than that combined).
Also, on this forum, I am seeing a fair number of issues that are not simple dealer fixes, like wind noise.
Finally, while trying to figure out what I could expect to pay under MSRP, I am finding folks paying OVER MSRP . I am not sure I can live with that. I remember Ford came out with a newly styled T-Bird a few years back and dealers were charging 10K over MSRP. It showed up on the window sticker as Market Adjustment + 10,000. I would have a long memory for a dealer that charged me 10K over MSRP.
Please folks your thoughts on all this. The safety features, the price, that model year. Appreciated.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I share your concern about the first model year, but I take satisfaction in the fact that it is an Asian manufacturer and they are generally much better on initial quality. I guess there is some difference in quality between the Japanese and Korean manufacturers, but I am not really sure. I bought the Mazda CX-9 (current version) in its first model year and never had a problem - other than that they added a bunch of features in the second model year that should have been added in the first model year. I also bought the Genesis sedan in its first year and had no problems. Keep in mind you get a five year warranty with a Hyundai.

Regarding what you read on the forums, I have not had any issues after about 1500 miles. I do hear some wind noise, but I don't think it is anything unusual for a vehicle this large. We love the car and all the tech with a few minor design issues (interior light switches not illuminated).

I paid MSRP, but I have the advantage of living in the NYC metro area where this is literally over a dozen dealers I can play off against one another.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I share your concern about the first model year, but I take satisfaction in the fact that it is an Asian manufacturer and they are generally much better on initial quality. I guess there is some difference in quality between the Japanese and Korean manufacturers, but I am not really sure. I bought the Mazda CX-9 (current version) in its first model year and never had a problem - other than that they added a bunch of features in the second model year that should have been added in the first model year. I also bought the Genesis sedan in its first year and had no problems. Keep in mind you get a five year warranty with a Hyundai.

Regarding what you read on the forums, I have not had any issues after about 1500 miles. I do hear some wind noise, but I don't think it is anything unusual for a vehicle this large. We love the car and all the tech with a few minor design issues (interior light switches not illuminated).

I paid MSRP, but I have the advantage of living in the NYC metro area where this is literally over a dozen dealers I can play off against one another.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I too have the same concern along with my wife (car is for her). When we were first deciding on which SUVs to look at, Palisade was a longshot because of the first model year concern. We looked at and drove numerous SUVs (Ascent, Pilot, Highlander, Atlas, CX-9, XC90, QX60, MDX, Palisade), not to mention all the van offerings. Once both my wife and I sat in and drove the Palisade, we were wowed by the rich interior, the roomy seating, and the abundance of tech, safety, and luxury features. That impression alone, along with the long warranty, completely overrode the jitters about the first model year buy. We both immediately decided that while the competition is admirable and would suit our needs fine, this is the only SUV that we would truly enjoy driving and was truly above anything else we looked at.
I find the price to be excellent for the value that you are receiving. Regarding dealer gouging, I am in the Chicago area and have talked to pretty much every dealer in the area. A couple are gouging but most are selling at MSRP. I found that if you expand your search and go outside of the big metro areas, you will find dealers willing to go under MSRP. You can then call up your local dealers and see if they are willing to price match, or just go get the car at one of those dealers outside of your home area.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In Atlanta, dealers are asking above MSRP. In rural area, expect to pay a little below msrp if the dealer is motivated.

So far we love our Palisade.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wouldnt pay over MSRP. You should be able to get at least the $500 of for conquest. If you are willing to farther to get the car you can get MSRP. I went to Utah to get an AWD and drive it back to SoCal.

Hyundai has good quality and has the best warranty so I’m not worried.
So far 1800 miles and not issues.
The wind noise is not bad. Slightly more noticeable than on my old Lexus RX.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts