Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is some really exciting news! The Hyundai Palisade has earned a 2019 IIHS Top Safety Pick+, joining other Hyundai SUVs like the Kona, Tucson, Santa Fe, Santa Fe XL, and NEXO. But there is a small catch.

According to the IIHS, only the Palisades with the optional LED headlights receive the award. Palisades with the base halogen headlights are rated marginal, which means they don'y qualify for either a Top Safety Pick+ or Top Safety pick award.
"To qualify for a 2019 TOP SAFETY PICK+ award, a vehicle has to earn good ratings in the driver-side small overlap front, passenger-side small overlap front, moderate overlap front, side, roof strength and head restraint tests. It must also earn an advanced or superior rating for front crash prevention and be equipped with good headlights."

"The vehicle earns a good rating for headlights when equipped with optional LED projectors. However, the base halogen headlights are rated marginal, which means models equipped with the base headlights don't qualify for the either the TOP SAFETY PICK+ or the lower-tier TOP SAFETY PICK award. Both headlight options include high-beam assist, a system that automatically switches between high beams and low beams, depending on the presence of other vehicles."
Here's the link to the full results from the IIHSfor you to look at - https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/hyundai/palisade-4-door-suv/2020

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did anyone on here get the Palisade with the halogen headlights? If so what are they like when you're driving?

·
Registered
33 Posts
IIHS actually crashed a Telluride and used those results for the Palisade. Hyundai told them that the crash results would be the same.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a palisade with the halogen lights and before hearing this I never noticed an issue. M y last car was a 2015 ford explorer and I like the halogen lights on the palisade better than that vehicle. I also have uncorrected 20/20 vision so I never have issues driving at night, maybe it would be more noticable to others?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a palisade with the halogen lights and before hearing this I never noticed an issue. M y last car was a 2015 ford explorer and I like the halogen lights on the palisade better than that vehicle. I also have uncorrected 20/20 vision so I never have issues driving at night, maybe it would be more noticable to others?
I'm glad to hear that you're not having any problems with the lights. Are they brighter than the lights on your old Explorer?

I wonder if there's a noticeable difference for other drivers as well. It could also be the IIHS making a bigger deal of it than it actually is because it's their job to be stingy with this stuff.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Take a look at the IIHS graphs of headlight performance here:

IIHS 2020 Hyundai Palisade Headlights

The halogens fall short of the "optimal illumination" in 10 of the 12 categories.

The LEDs fall short in just one of the 12 categories.

I can't figure out why the Telluride did not do as well with their LEDs or halogens. But they did worse in both categories. "Should" be the same lighting modules.

·
Registered
194 Posts

The halogens fall short of the "optimal illumination" in 10 of the 12 categories.

I can't figure out why the Telluride did not do as well with their LEDs or halogens. But they did worse in both categories. "Should" be the same lighting modules.
It's not the same lighting module on the Telluride. It's shaped differently and located in a different position on the vehicle (higher in this case). The angle might be different... etc. For all we know, they source the LEDs from different suppliers.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

If I had to guess I think it might be the Telluride's boxy front end that affects how the lights are positioned and/or angled.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts