Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While our Lane Keep and Adaptive Cruise Control is pretty close to self driving, I’d never set it on the highway and climb into the back seat. I feel like we have about 90% accuracy and it’s that 10% that takes you through the guardrails down the side of the mountain. So, after having this system which is pretty good but not perfect, would you let a Tesla drive you door to door without constantly watching? I’m still a long way from that.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And I think Elon musk said teslas will be full self driving within a year. I still don’t trust it

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Palisade Limited
93 Posts
I can barely tolerate riding in a cab/Uber some days; I simply could not do it without freaking out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I tried it once driving 37 miles with only touching the steering wheel when the warning sign came up and I was amazed. I trust it enough to do little things you normally could not do without it like opening a bottled water while opening a pack of doritos and having a little snack while the car drives it self.

·
Registered
150 Posts
We used it all the way from FL to TN... of course you have to keep your hands on the wheel. It was awesome 😎

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have heard a "rumour" that you can balance a water bottle on the steering wheel and it will give enough torque resistance to trick the system into thinking you still have hands on the wheel.

·
Registered
60 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Doug Demuro also said "there's actually quite a bit of room back here behind the 3rd row" about the Toyota Highlander ( spec: 16 cu. ft.) but "not really all that much cargo space" about the Telluride (spec of 21 cu. ft.) which makes me wonder about his objectivity when interpreting the details for us.
Objectivity? There's no objectivity when it comes to Doug. It's all entertainment. But I do think having the vehicle read your eyes is better than the Palisade's constant need to have the hands on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It doesn't work well on tighter turns on highways but if you stay in the middle lane on a straight highway you could probably be safe to take your hands off the wheel for a min or two.

It works best for what it is intended: getting your attention if you have your hands on the wheel and you start to drift because you're looking at your phone or yelling at your kids.

·
Registered
2021 White Calligraphy
265 Posts
It doesn't work well on tighter turns on highways but if you stay in the middle lane on a straight highway you could probably be safe to take your hands off the wheel for a min or two.

It works best for what it is intended: getting your attention if you have your hands on the wheel and you start to drift because you're looking at your phone or yelling at your kids.
Idk, mine performs pretty well on highway turns. Now, I'm not talking I-70 through the Rockies, but normal Highway corners at 65-70, it does pretty darn good.

·
Registered
2021 Hyper White Palisade Calligraphy
7 Posts
While our Lane Keep and Adaptive Cruise Control is pretty close to self driving, I’d never set it on the highway and climb into the back seat. I feel like we have about 90% accuracy and it’s that 10% that takes you through the guardrails down the side of the mountain. So, after having this system which is pretty good but not perfect, would you let a Tesla drive you door to door without constantly watching? I’m still a long way from that.
Absolutely. I also own a Tesla Model S Our HDA is no where near close to what Tesla has accomplished in autonomous driving. I have sat in the drivers seat. Taped a bottle of water to the steering wheel (to fiool it thinking I had my hands on the wheels) set navigation and drove from Pensacola, Fl to Jacksonville,Fl never touched the wheel. It even pulled into the superchargers. HDA is nice... but not even close to what Tesla can do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I similarly had driven a couple hundred miles 8 lane traffic (both directions) and it did well using adaptive cruise control.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use it all the time on the open road but I never stop paying attention. two weeks ago almost got blindsided at night by a car. It did not help at all in that scenario it happened way too fast. I had to pull over cause I would've bet money he hit the passenger side of my Pali. Thankfully not a scratch. The funny thing was he was claiming I swerved out of my lane. Yeah that didn't happen. Just another speed runner coming back from Atlantic City.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I love it and use it often driving around Los Angeles, CA. I mostly use it on freeways though, and not streets. There are too many unpredictable drivers and pedestrians to trust it on busy streets.

It is such a relief to set it on my commute and it handles all the slow downs and accelerations in traffic without a problem. I still pay close attention but my right leg gets to relax instead of working the brake and accelerator pedals. I never thought I would use such a feature but it has been fantastic.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts