Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you current Palisade owners ... so what are your initial thoughts on the V-6 engine?

As you prob already know, some of the pro-reviewers said that at times it felt underpowered.
What are your real world experiences so far?

Secondly, how do you feel the 8-speed transmission pairs with the engine?

·
Registered
45 Posts
For the class that this is in - it's right where it should be for power and torque. I heard in one of the reviews I watched - and it's a great word for it - that the engine is adequate. It gets the job done just fine without making a fuss or being too loud. It doesn't impress me, but at the same time I have no complaints.

Yeah sure we always want more power/torque. From the few hundred miles I've driven so far, it has never seemed underpowered. It's also by no means quick. My only wish would be a bit more torque (bummer the US doesn't get the diesel).

I think it's a great combination of engine/trans that fits the car. It's quiet and doesnt get in the way while still giving us decent fuel economy and enough power all things considered. It's smooth and comfortable to drive which is probably what they were going for. The paddle shifters are cool - but honestly useless.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I came from a 2016 Explorer, and tested a Traverse and Highlander. I loved the acceleration and power of the Sport but hated the gas milage. I thought losing 60 horse power would be noticeable all the time. But the Palisade does surprise me at times. I accelerated through an intersection on the day I got it, and it felt pretty fast as it pushed me back into the seat.

·
Registered
51 Posts
After having my Palisade for the last 3 weeks, I'm happy with the engine. It has plenty of power for passing at highway speeds and the gas mileage is also good. I'll be doing another 1500 km trip next week and will be recording the overall fuel mileage. will let you all know the results.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I came from a 2019 RDX with the 2.0 Liter Turbo at 272HP and that vehicle accelerated to the point that it was dangerous. I am extremely happy with the Palisade and the response I get when I need it

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've had a 2008 GMC Acadia (engine was weak and transmission hunted) and a 2014 Toyota Highlander (much smoother and seemed reasonably powerful). The new 2020 Palisade Limited AWD seems stronger than either, smoother, and interior volume under heavy acceleration is less than either of the others.

It's a small sample, but one against what are "popular" 3 row SUV's in the segment, and I find the Palisade is superior. It's not a sports SUV by any means but it doesn't feel underpowered.

One downside... the auto engine off is the most agressive I've ever seen in the class. I've driven 2019 Toyota Highlander's, the new Chevy Traverse etc. and I think the Palisade is the quickest to kill the engine, decreases the climate control more than any other when it does it, and still isn't totally smooth when it restarts. I'm trying to get used to it but its annoying, more so than others in the class. I may have to turn the feature off and just suck up the MPG loss.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had a 2008 GMC Acadia (engine was weak and transmission hunted) and a 2014 Toyota Highlander (much smoother and seemed reasonably powerful). The new 2020 Palisade Limited AWD seems stronger than either, smoother, and interior volume under heavy acceleration is less than either of the others.

It's a small sample, but one against what are "popular" 3 row SUV's in the segment, and I find the Palisade is superior. It's not a sports SUV by any means but it doesn't feel underpowered.

One downside... the auto engine off is the most agressive I've ever seen in the class. I've driven 2019 Toyota Highlander's, the new Chevy Traverse etc. and I think the Palisade is the quickest to kill the engine, decreases the climate control more than any other when it does it, and still isn't totally smooth when it restarts. I'm trying to get used to it but its annoying, more so than others in the class. I may have to turn the feature off and just suck up the MPG loss.
How do you turn OFF the Eco-Auto Engine Off feature?

·
Registered
20 Posts
The letter "A" button on the center console turns it off. You have to press the button each drive as it resets defaulting to Auto-Off. My current plan is to just turn the feature off when I notice it bothering me, likely only on drives with lots of stops and starts (also sadly where it saves the most gas) but otherwise leave it on. I'm not trying to get in the habit of just turning it off as soon as I start the car... who knows maybe I will get used to it and just never turn it off. We shall see.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For you current Palisade owners ... so what are your initial thoughts on the V-6 engine?

As you prob already know, some of the pro-reviewers said that at times it felt underpowered.
What are your real world experiences so far?

Secondly, how do you feel the 8-speed transmission pairs with the engine?
Coming from a 2013 RX350, I would say the engine is great. Over the weekend, it hit over 100 degrees where I'm at, and I did feel that the engine was underpowered with the A/C on full blast with the hot weather.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Remember that the torque and power points on this engine are at high RPM, far from where the engineers sought to locate fuel-saving operating RPMs. Using the “Eco” mode exacerbates the Palisade’s stately saunter. With some experience driving this vehicle comes understanding of downshift timing and affect on performance regarding hill-climbing, for example. Causing an early downshift by using the paddles when starting a hill climb to get toward better torque numbers will keep vehicle speed closer to, if not on, the cruise control speed set (or without CC) and likely eliminate the two gear downshift otherwise caused by automation. Try it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I came from a 2016 Explorer, and tested a Traverse and Highlander. I loved the acceleration and power of the Sport but hated the gas milage. I thought losing 60 horse power would be noticeable all the time. But the Palisade does surprise me at times. I accelerated through an intersection on the day I got it, and it felt pretty fast as it pushed me back into the seat.

Did you have an Explorer Sport?

Reason I'm asking is because I just traded my 2015 Ford Explorer Sport for the Palisade and I've been actually quite surprised numerous times now on how responsive and powerful the Palisade has been. My Explorer Sport was very inconsistent in it's power, and obviously needed premium gas to make use of its full potential.

I'm really starting to think the palisade is just as powerful, if not even faster than my explorer when I had only used 87 octane in the explorer, which I did more often than not.

The Palisade in sport mode has really impressed me. The reviews on the Palisade all claim the engine is certainly adequate for the class, but I feel it is far than adequate and the transmission is silky smooth.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an Explorer Limited and am very interested in the Palisade. Does the Palisade sit as high as the Explorer?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have an Explorer Limited and am very interested in the Palisade. Does the Palisade sit as high as the Explorer?
I traded in my 2011 explorer limited for the palisade. Yes it sits as high. I love the palisade. Just a few minor quarks. Be mindful I had to get rid of my explorer because the water pump went bad. Water pump is on the timing chain in the engine. Easily it was a $2500+ fix and if done wrong a new engine needed. Just know what you are driving.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree, the Palisade engine is more than adequate for normal everyday driving. The 8 speed is mostly smooth. Comparable to the Lexus RX.
It's a big vehicle, not a sports sedan.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts