Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
My brand new Palisade also has wind noise from driver’s door. The dealer said they were hoping to receive a recall. Is there an official complaint form?

·
Registered
532 Posts
I called my nearest dealer last week about the wind noise issue. The man I spoke to said every Palisade they've driven has the same issue with wind noise, so at this point it is considered "normal" to them. When I mentioned the TSB, he only said if Hyundai figures out a fix for it then they can try to fix it, but for now they consider it as TADT (they all do that)

that was my fear before buying the Palisade last month, that they'd just treat this as TADT. But then I figured since they did issue a TSB for this then they do consider this outside the normal realm.

We have to be patient at this point. My wind noise isn't terrible. playing the radio masks all the wind noises for me

·
Registered
9 Posts
I turn up the radio too. It's a shame - such a nice vehicle and can't believe they know this is a problem and haven't fixed the problem - at least at the factory! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,117 Posts
The wind noise from side view mirrors are not unique to the Palisade. For years cars like BMW, Toyota, Nisson, Ford, just to name a few.
Have had problems with mirror wind noise. In large part due to their trying to make the cars more fuel efficient. They have streamlined the shape of the mirror to reduce drag. That may be part of the problem with our Palisade mirrors.
Years ago engineers put indented rows of dimples along the sides and bottoms of mirrors. Some put rows of material protruding in rows along the mirrors. This wasn't always just for show, it was to breakup the flow of the air so as not to cause noise.
Mirrors that fold in haven't helped with whistling sounds caused by the openings where they fold, but I'm not getting the wind noise so haven't really experimented yet.

·
Banned
673 Posts
Here's my video. You can start to hear the resonance at :16. Don't bother listening on a cell phone as you don't have enough bass to hear the low frequency drone. Anything above 60mph and this drone happens. After 15 minutes of highway driving you will absolutely lose your mind. No radio can drown this out without making the occupants deaf. I can assure you, that if Hyundai doesn't fix this, it will be the last Hyundai I ever buy.

·
Registered
532 Posts
CVP, I'm curious if putting your hvac into recirc mode decreases your wind issue.

Since many of us have a wind noise or whistling issue that decreases when we put the ventilation system into recirculation mode, I don't think it's simply an issue with the mirror design (as some have suggested)

·
Registered
869 Posts
I don't think it's simply an issue with the mirror design (as some have suggested)
Putting the ventilation system into recirculation mode is going to change the pressure differential across the seals. If the mirror is either allowing air into the door cavity through the mirror stalk or is generating some sort of turbulence causing a weird low or high pressure area along the window seals, changing the pressure differential could still make a noticeable difference to a problem caused by the mirror design.

I'd be curious to see if any change was made by taping up the seams on the mirror, particularly along the rotation joint. Would help to narrow down the problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Luckily I can say I do not have this problem with my Palisade. I do notice wind noise when driving but I think that is because I cannot hear the engine at highway speeds and so the wind noise is the next most noticeable thing. Anyone who has driven electric cars will have noticed the same problem. But I have never had any whistling or drone noise. I purchased my car in March so either I got lucky or they made some changes to fix the issue.

·
Banned
673 Posts
HVAC makes no difference regarding the mirror and the cavitation that it’s creating which makes the resonance. You can have the AC on, off, recirculating, it makes no difference whatsoever.

·
Registered
532 Posts
so far I've only experienced a whistling noise at 12mph with a light cross wind and at a steady 52-58mph. luckily my issue is minor compared to others, and if hyundai never finds a fix for my issue it won't really decrease my satisfaction with the car. I know all cars will have some quirks, so if a light whistling is the only one I get with my particular Palisade I'm good.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am newly registered. I in market for new SUV. I drove Palisade and heard wind noise and Ask shop Foreman and He told me all them was having same issues and Hyundai Engineering was working to find a fix. I think I wait check out Genesis Gv80 or 2021 Palisade when they come out. Later
This Summer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am newly registered. I in market for new SUV. I drove Palisade and heard wind noise and Ask shop Foreman and He told me all them was having same issues and Hyundai Engineering was working to find a fix. I think I wait check out Genesis Gv80 or 2021 Palisade when they come out. Later
This Summer.
I wish I had waited!

·
Registered
32 Posts
My Limited Palisade also has the wind noise but it’s only noticeable on the drivers side. Is that what everyone is experiencing. I am just wondering if it could be as a result of the glass not sealing tight on the upper window seal.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Thanks for registering Wayne to tell us you heard wind noise. It's a known issue as I'm certain you already knew...

Care to tell us what else you're considering besides the GV80 or 2021 Palisade?

And if you don't mind, tell us what car you'll be coming from?

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is Wayne. Thanks,raggedy 1 for inviting me for reply on Vehicles I am considering in future. I have researched many. I have drove Lincoln Aviator and it drove really quite and very luxury Also looking Buick
Enclave. Me and my wife love our 2009 Hyundai Genesis We bought new. 1st year they came out. It still
drives wonderful and quite. I have had no complaints for this is best vehicle 🚗 we have owed. We haven’t
found a nicer vehicles to replace it with. So saying that. We will be looking at 2021 newly designed G80
Genesis. We was wanting a Nice SUV. I will not get a Palisade until Hyundai comes up with a better design
I think it could be the Square design of body causes Wind resistance. I also check newly Genesis Gv80
Suv coming out this summer. You Guys can go on Genesis USA website. Check out both 2021GV80 and
G80. When you’re shut inside. That’s something you can do help ease your mind. Sorry about all of these
comments. But we’re all get through this together. Just keep your Faith.

·
Super Moderator
1,117 Posts
I came from a 2018 Genesis G90, had nothing but trouble with mine
I must have gotten just the right Palisade as I don't hear any, out of the ordinary
wind noise.
I read a review of the Genesis GV80 and they ask what was going on as they heard
wind noise in it as well as the Palisade they had tested.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts