Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just realized same rearview mirror as in my 2013 Nissan quest. Terrible design that allows for homelink to function even with car off.
So if you park outside, if someone can get into your car then they can open garage.
None of my other cars do this. Only that design of homelink. Too bad.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Just realized same rearview mirror as in my 2013 Nissan quest. Terrible design that allows for homelink to function even with car off.
So if you park outside, if someone can get into your car then they can open garage.
None of my other cars do this. Only that design of homelink. Too bad.
Every single one of my cars has worked this way: Home Link works even if the car isn’t turned on. It worked like this on a Ford, a Chrysler... etc. I’ve never seen a car that doesn’t do it that way. Basically, my experience is the exact opposite of what you describe.

If someone is determined enough to get into your car, they can probably get in your house either way, even without Home Link.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Every single one of my cars has worked this way: Home Link works even if the car isn’t turned on. It worked like this on a Ford, a Chrysler... etc. I’ve never seen a car that doesn’t do it that way. Basically, my experience is the exact opposite of what you describe.

If someone is determined enough to get into your car, they can probably get in your house either way, even without Home Link.
interesting.

my porsche, audi, bmw dont allow homelink to work unless car is on. must depend on the type of homelink.

there's a reason why its not a good idea to leave garage door opener in your car if parked outside, homelink that works without the car on defeats this purpose.

·
Registered
48 Posts

Lexus, Mercedes and BMW all cease to work with the engine off and locked.

·
Registered
502 Posts
My Honda worked with car off. I like it that way personally. Keep your doors locked for your "cars" safety anyway. Of course like everything be great if it was a user Pref.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Honda worked with car off. I like it that way personally. Keep your doors locked for your "cars" safety anyway. Of course like everything be great if it was a user Pref.
Agreed.

Doors always locked but still too easy to open garage. Especially if you leave home and car is outside....too much of an opportunity

·
Super Moderator
1,760 Posts
My Genesis G90, engine has to be running to use garage door opener
Hate leaving engine running in garage even long enough to close door
Besides took me 2 years to stop turning off engine first as last car worked
with engine off.
My car is always garaged so I like it the palisade way

·
Banned
673 Posts
Chevrolet, Toyota and Jeep all work with ignition off. Great for when I pull in the garage, shut the car off and then close the garage.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
interesting...when I pull into garage, I get out of car, gather my belongings, go to the trunk if necessary, then walk into home and close garage door w switch on wall.
but this only works if I park inside garage. Palisade is parked outside.

·
Banned
673 Posts
interesting...when I pull into garage, I get out of car, gather my belongings, go to the trunk if necessary, then walk into home and close garage door w switch on wall.
I like to close the garage before due to weather, cold, rain, etc. It’s a 3 car garage so no sense in walking through rain, wind or cold...just close the garage. Also why we turn the vehicle off first to minimize exhaust smell. But you park outside so makes sense to wait until you get to your wall switch.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
So why don't you park in the garage anyway? That would solve your fear that someone would break into the car in order to open the garage.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would but no
So why don't you park in the garage anyway? That would solve your fear that someone would break into the car in order to open the garage.
well that would be too easy of a solution! :)

have two other cars in garage, 3rd garage is full of storage items....

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I would but no

So in that case, why program the Home Link buttons in the Palisade if you're not going to park it in the garage? If you clear the programming, then there won't be any risk that someone breaks into your Palisade and opens the garage. And you can just walk up to your garage and use the keypad (I assume you have one or more for your garage doors). Am I missing something?

·
Banned
673 Posts
I would but no

I realize that some folks live in rough neighborhoods, but smashing a car window to gain access to my home link system to then open my garage and steal the contents......well let’s just say I have bigger concerns than that scenario.

Also sounds like Eric has a solution for those living in smash/grab neighborhoods. I’d offer that you could lock your garage door opener in the glove compartment. Then again if they’ll smash your windows they’d have no problem using a pry bar to open the glove box.

Final solution.....you need to move.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I realize that some folks live in rough neighborhoods, but smashing a car window to gain access to my home link system to then open my garage and steal the contents......well let’s just say I have bigger concerns than that scenario.

Also sounds like Eric has a solution for those living in smash/grab neighborhoods. I’d offer that you could lock your garage door opener in the glove compartment. Then again if they’ll smash your windows they’d have no problem using a pry bar to open the glove box.

Final solution.....you need to move.
And one would argue that if one lives in a rough neighborhood, a brand new Palisade is probably the car to park in the garage, rather than leave on the street.

·
Registered
71 Posts
So in that case, why program the Home Link buttons in the Palisade if you're not going to park it in the garage? If you clear the programming, then there won't be any risk that someone breaks into your Palisade and opens the garage. And you can just walk up to your garage and use the keypad (I assume you have one or more for your garage doors). Am I missing something?
Good point!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We enter our home thru garage, never thru front door. We do have keypad but it is easier w home link. I understand there are multiple ways around it, would have been nice to have user option to have it work with or without ignition on as @anthpalisade mentioned

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And one would argue that if one lives in a rough neighborhood, a brand new Palisade is probably the car to park in the garage, rather than leave on the street.
agreed, but we live in a great neighborhood, that is why there has been some targeting of our area. Numerous homes in our area have been hit, many prowlers have been seen on security cameras snooping around homes and cars parked outside.

·
Registered
184 Posts
yes, it would be good to have an option to enable it to work or not. I do not have a garage and never used homelink. But would it be possible to set a pin or something to that effect?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts