Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove my wife’s new Palisade Limited for the first time today. I put my sunglasses on and the heads up display disappears. I take off my sunglasses and it reappeared. Great, so I try a cheap pair of non polarized glasses and it works fine. My Maui Jim sunglasses are just fine with my Corvette heads up display, but Hyundai did something that is different from a GM display. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Rotate your Maui's 45 and 90 degrees. See if you can see the HUD.

I will try the same with my cheap 8 dollar amazon special polarized sunglasses that block it too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rotate your Maui's 45 and 90 degrees. See if you can see the HUD.

I will try the same with my cheap 8 dollar amazon special polarized sunglasses that block it too.
At 90 degrees rotation the display is visible thru the sunglasses. so for whatever reason, Hyundai projects the image thru a polarizing filter that is 90 degrees to the polarization of normal sunglasses. Hence the 2 filters make the image disappear. Had they projected the image thru a filter consistent with the polarization on sunglasses, the image would be visible.
Not sure why they chose to do this.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Maybe someone smarter than me has the answer to that. I believe most auto makers do it the way Hyundai does it. I just wear a pair of cheap non polarized sunglasses when I drive.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would, but I tend to lose forget them. So I buy cheap ones. Leaving behind a 200 dollar pair of sunglasses is painful.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I also have Maui Jim's and the HUD almost dissapears when wearing them. They are prescription so it is not as easy as swapping to non-polarized sunglasses. With that being said, I can still see it enough for it to be effective. You may want to play with the angle/tilt of the HUD to make it a little more visible while wearing your sunglasses.

·
Registered
62 Posts
On my last two vehicles before the Palisade, which were not equipped with HUD, most of the traditional dash and infotainment screen were difficult to see with polarized lenses.

·
Registered
22 Posts
At 90 degrees rotation the display is visible thru the sunglasses. so for whatever reason, Hyundai projects the image thru a polarizing filter that is 90 degrees to the polarization of normal sunglasses. Hence the 2 filters make the image disappear. Had they projected the image thru a filter consistent with the polarization on sunglasses, the image would be visible.
Not sure why they chose to do this.
The head up display in both the Cadillac ATS and Jaguar XE I had were barely visible with polarized glasses on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had to turn the brightness all the way up on the HUD to see it with my sunglasses on. My polarized glasses take at least 67% of the HUD brightness away. Also, the temp gauge on the drivers' side has a streak right through the middle of it with polarized sunglasses. The passenger side is clear. Sigh.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts