Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
No, only you did. And that's why you keep asking questions that have been answered already.

I'm trying to help you understand something here. Read it instead of arguing.
Bro, I really don't care about your post. The fact is that this notch is ridiculous and should not be implemented into a 60k vehicle to reduce driver visibility in the sake of others.

· Registered
1,790 Posts
Bro, I really don't care about your post. The fact is that this notch is ridiculous and should not be implemented into a 60k vehicle to reduce driver visibility in the sake of others.
Surprise surprise... you don't care about the explanation because it makes you sound ignorant. If you'd read it, you'd know that other manufacturers do the exact same thing. There are 2 charts in that post of competitors' headlights showing you that their beam also dips on the left side to prevent blinding others. The difference is that Hyundai brings the beam back up further to the left, resulting in a V-shaped notch instead of just a lowered beam on the left side. So you get MORE light than competitors with the Palisade, not less. You're just not used to it.

It's not me saying it, it's the IIHS. Why is it that people like you can't admit when they don't know something?

· Registered
2020 Palisade Limited
474 Posts
I don’t know why this is so hard to understand. You wouldn’t have had light there anyway. The difference with this design is you actually get extra light to the left that wouldn’t have been there normally. While this may make it more noticeable if you’re focusing on that “v,” you’re getting more coverage.

The endless threads on this non-issue are tiring.
This is in contrast with many vehicles, which dip the headlights all the way to the left instead of just having a V-shaped drop like the Palisade. This means you actually get better lighting with the Palisade than many other vehicles.

· Registered
245 Posts
I literally explained this in the third post in this thread, with the IIHS charts. It also shows you that this V-shaped notch means you actually see more with Hyundai headlights than other brands that simply dip the beam all the way to the left.

Scroll up to that post.
the vast majority of people do not read past the headline or the first 5-7 words of a post, news article, etc. it's easier for them to ask a question than to actually research or read the information already provided.

you can thank smart phones, google, and the failing education system for this. no one knows how to research, discover, comprehend, or figure shit out for themselves anymore. if Siri or Alexa can't answer the question, they are left dumbfounded.

· Registered
9 Posts
I can't see what the issue is with the 'v' notch. You aren't driving on that side of the road at any point. It's progressively moving down the road as you drive so you are continuously lighting that 'v' spot as you progress further. The lights actually look amazing to me and it's a great idea by Hyundai to only notch that small portion instead of cutting it all off to the left.

I saw this post yesterday and then that night as I was driving home I thought, "What the heck, those headlights are freaking bright on that car!" I had no idea of what the oncoming vehicle was in the sea of vehicles until it passed and I was like.....Palisade. I thought of this post immediately and agreed with those that say the lights are bright. They were easily brighter than every other vehicle around.

My wife has a 22 Lexus IS and both headlights have a black square dead center. I assume it's Lexus attempt to prevent blinding oncoming drivers but it seems like a poor implementation of it.

To each their own, no hard feelings! :)(y)

· Registered
1,790 Posts
In the grand scheme of things, what the issue comes down to is people not used to LED lights. It’s not the notch that’s the problem, it’s the very sharp cutoff between the beam and complete darkness. Other types of bulbs tend to have a more fuzzy cutoff and bleed light (which doesn’t mean more light). LED headlights have a much sharper cutoff and it emphasizes that notch that some people can’t stop talking about.

· Registered
9 Posts
In the grand scheme of things, what the issue comes down to is people not used to LED lights. It’s not the notch that’s the problem, it’s the very sharp cutoff between the beam and complete darkness. Other types of bulbs tend to have a more fuzzy cutoff and bleed light (which doesn’t mean more light). LED headlights have a much sharper cutoff and it emphasizes that notch that some people can’t stop talking about.
Well said. I've driven vehicles with LED lighting for several years now and they're so significantly better than prior lighting platforms. The cutoff doesn't bother me at all and I'd rather not blind the oncoming driver/traffic and potentially cause an accident.

· Registered
95 Posts
Palisade LED lights, as a whole, are too bright and/or the lights aimed too high. I say that as someone who owned a 2020 Palisade Limited for 16 months, and as someone who passes Palisades on the road regularly. When I owned the Palisade, I got flashed regularly driving at night with my low beams. Today when a vehicle is approaching and I think to myself "That guy's headlights are either too bright or he has his high beams on," often it is a Palisade. The problem with the Palisade is that I think they have their beam just a light higher than most, thinking the notch will take care of passing traffic. The notch is such a narrow section, there are many instances you'll be head-on yet not in the notch area. If you drive a lot of two lane roads at night you'll understand. If you do little night driving or mostly on divided roads, you won't notice it so much.

· Registered
212 Posts
All I know is that in over 30 years of driving this is the first vehicle I can actually see the road with even in the rain. Everything else has always been somewhat of a guess in certain conditions. I've had vehicles with headlight performance so poor I've had to follow the guys taillights in front of me to know where the road was. I actually don't dread driving at night anymore when it's raining.

· Registered
95 Posts
All I know is that in over 30 years of driving this is the first vehicle I can actually see the road with even in the rain. Everything else has always been somewhat of a guess in certain conditions. I've had vehicles with headlight performance so poor I've had to follow the guys taillights in front of me to know where the road was. I actually don't dread driving at night anymore when it's raining.
... which is further proof the lights are way too bright/aimed too high. Sure, you can see so great, which means other people are being blinded and makes driving dangerous when you are blinding everything coming at you.

· Registered
245 Posts
... which is further proof the lights are way too bright/aimed too high. Sure, you can see so great, which means other people are being blinded and makes driving dangerous when you are blinding everything coming at you.
not necessarily. easy to figure out if they are aimed to high or not. take it to your local inspection station or dealership and see if they are properly calibrated.

· Registered
95 Posts
It is pretty rare for headlights in a new vehicle to be aimed too high. The Palisade headlights are just brighter than other vehicles. Any slight rise in the road (I have several such roads around me) makes the lights shine too high and blind oncoming traffic if you are not perfectly placed in the "V." Again, it's great if you are behind the wheel of the Palisade as you can see really, really well. More and more cars are getting similarly bright LED lights, so you're less likely to get flashed because people are just used to it -- simply avert your vision a little while those cars pass.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts