Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,786 Posts
I've posted this before, but here it is again. The charts below are from the IIHS website, which tests headlights. On the Palisade chart, notice that the right and left side are identical. The V-shaped black spot is the center left distance in the chart below, designed to avoid blinding oncoming drivers. This is in contrast with many vehicles, which dip the headlights all the way to the left instead of just having a V-shaped drop like the Palisade. This means you actually get better lighting with the Palisade than many other vehicles. You can see that in the Toyota Highlander and Ford Explorer charts below, where the left side is significantly worse than the right side.

And overall, the distance achieved by the Palisade is very good: they exceed the optimal markers in the charts below in almost all directions. So do the Highlander's, but look at the Explorer chart below...

The Palisade lights are very good. It's possible they are not aimed correctly on some people's cars.

2022 Hyundai Palisade:
Slope Rectangle Font Line Plot

2023 Toyota Highlander:
Slope Rectangle Font Terrestrial plant Parallel

2023 Ford Explorer:
Slope Rectangle Font Terrestrial plant Parallel

· Registered
1,786 Posts
Do you guys know what causes the V notch? It makes me crazy.
I literally explained this in the third post in this thread, with the IIHS charts. It also shows you that this V-shaped notch means you actually see more with Hyundai headlights than other brands that simply dip the beam all the way to the left.

Scroll up to that post.

· Registered
1,786 Posts
Bro, I really don't care about your post. The fact is that this notch is ridiculous and should not be implemented into a 60k vehicle to reduce driver visibility in the sake of others.
Surprise surprise... you don't care about the explanation because it makes you sound ignorant. If you'd read it, you'd know that other manufacturers do the exact same thing. There are 2 charts in that post of competitors' headlights showing you that their beam also dips on the left side to prevent blinding others. The difference is that Hyundai brings the beam back up further to the left, resulting in a V-shaped notch instead of just a lowered beam on the left side. So you get MORE light than competitors with the Palisade, not less. You're just not used to it.

It's not me saying it, it's the IIHS. Why is it that people like you can't admit when they don't know something?

· Registered
1,786 Posts
In the grand scheme of things, what the issue comes down to is people not used to LED lights. It’s not the notch that’s the problem, it’s the very sharp cutoff between the beam and complete darkness. Other types of bulbs tend to have a more fuzzy cutoff and bleed light (which doesn’t mean more light). LED headlights have a much sharper cutoff and it emphasizes that notch that some people can’t stop talking about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts