Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several times now I've noticed the automatic headlights turning on at least an hour before sunset. The sun is still in the sky shining bright. And they also turned on yesterday about 8:50AM whereas sunrise was 2 hours earlier. I will admit I was driving west so the dashboard was in the shade, but they still shouldn't come on with that amount of daylight present. Anyone else experience this? Is the timing tied to the date/time?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Several times now I've noticed the automatic headlights turning on at least an hour before sunset. The sun is still in the sky shining bright. And they also turned on yesterday about 8:50AM whereas sunrise was 2 hours earlier. I will admit I was driving west so the dashboard was in the shade, but they still shouldn't come on with that amount of daylight present. Anyone else experience this? Is the timing tied to the date/time?
I am seeing the same thing. I think the sensors are detecting shadows and think I have entered a tunnel. Problem is they stay on a predetermined amount of time. The next shadow they come on again. It’s pretty annoying. However dealer says there is nothing he can do

·
Registered
2020 Palisade SEL Lagoon Silver
616 Posts
I never really noticed it. But then again, I'm rarely looking at the front of my car while driving to see if the headlights are on. And even if they come on, what harm is it?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess the only harm is a shortened lifespan. The other day the winter sun was out but obviously not overhead, no clouds, and my dash was in the roofline shade, and the lights were on. Another palisade limited was behind me and his lights were off. Mine just seem to be super sensitive to shade.

·
Registered
Palisade Ultimate
11 Posts
Bingo, I was talking about this to myself while driving yesterday. The lights do comes on a bit before its actually dark. I feel the same about my vehicle auto beam too. Some times it stays on (High Beam) until the front coming vehicle is close and some times it detects them from a distance. Wish we could adjust the sensitivity of lights.

·
Registered
166 Posts
How many people here with this issue have aftermarket tinted windows? I would think the tint would effect how much sunlight is actually getting through to the light sensor on the dashboard.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Personally I would rather it err on the side of coming on too early. It’s an easy to apply safety measure. And believe me, I am not a safety crying zealot, but I HATE seeing people driving with nothing more than their DRLs on when it’s dark outside!
I’m actually surprised overreaching govt hasn’t stepped in and mandated auto headlights now that most cars have instrument panels that are illuminated all the time. Too many drivers don’t realize their headlights actually aren’t on since their instrument panel is always Illuminated (I’m being nice and will refrain from calling people idiots). LOL

😂

Anyway, back on topic, the auto lights do turn on quickly. Drive through a shady patch of overhanging trees and the lights switch on.

·
Registered
Palisade Ultimate
11 Posts
No tint. Vehicle is as it was delivered. Well seems like its the Palisade DNA to turn on early.

·
Super Moderator
1,663 Posts
I have my lights on auto, it doesn't cause me any more work if it comes on early.
Doesn't cost me any more or lower gas mileage that I can see.
Of course I'm older and remember using the pull switch on the dash, left side.
Three detents, off, parking, and headlights., all the way out. No running lights.
Using the foot switch on the floor , with the left foot, to switch from low beam
to high beam, in a single bulb. Couldn't see all that well but we lived with it.
And then I say the good old days. LOL. a lot of crap to that saying.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have my lights on auto, it doesn't cause me any more work if it comes on early.
Doesn't cost me any more or lower gas mileage that I can see.
Of course I'm older and remember using the pull switch on the dash, left side.
Three detents, off, parking, and headlights., all the way out. No running lights.
Using the foot switch on the floor , with the left foot, to switch from low beam
to high beam, in a single bulb. Couldn't see all that well but we lived with it.
And then I say the good old days. LOL. a lot of crap to that saying.
A flash from the past...I like it Gene. I too remember the way we used to turn on lights. Back then we joked about the Jetsons too. Look at us now.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Palisade Limited, Maroon w/ light grey interior
41 Posts
I have noticed lights turning on a bit early but basically as the sun is hitting the horizon. One thing I think is true (somewhat related) is that GPS is used to turn headlights on when entering tunnels. I might be in the tunnel for 0.5 - 2 seconds and my headlights turn on. I actually think that's great personally.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts