Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the headlights are on at night I have noticed what appears to be a lack of coverage to the left of center from the drivers seat. Straight out from the drivers seat would be the 12 midnight position. To the left would be the 11 pm position. Between these positions out at maybe 100 ft. there seems to be a dark area where the beams of light fail to converge. There is more illumination to the left and right of this spot. I have yet to take it to the dealer as I am trying to decide if it is inherent in the headlight beam pattern or a slight misalignment of the beam.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I thought I saw a dip in brightness at the 11 o'clock position driving a few nights ago too, but I'll have to double-check when it's dark.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife noticed this same thing right away. They do have what appears to be a slight V's or a W shaped dark spot(s) at that 11 o'clock position. Back up from a wall or garage door 25-50 feet and you will see what I mean by the small triangular shapes on the wall at the top of the beam left to the center line of the car. I have had the opportunity to drive mine several times at night now in real world situations and it appearrs to me the lower poins of these shapes line up pretty squarely with the centerline and oncomming lane of two-way traffic. Its less noticible with brights on too. I'm not close to a dealer to have the headlight aim checked easily, but I suspect that it is purposeful design based on how the beam lays out on a rural highway at night.

·
Registered
34 Posts
...They do have what appears to be a slight V's or a W shaped dark spot(s) at that 11 o'clock position...

...it appears to me the lower points of these shapes line up pretty squarely with the centerline and oncoming lane of two-way traffic.

...I suspect that it is purposeful design based on how the beam lays out on a rural highway at night.
Yes, I think you're correct on this. My Limited low-beams have the "notch" in the exact same position you describe. My guess is that it's an attempt to minimize light glare for oncoming vehicles on a two-lane road.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I thought I saw a dip in brightness at the 11 o'clock position driving a few nights ago too, but I'll have to double-check when it's dark.
Just confirming that when I checked last night the 11 o'clock dip in brightness was there.

The thing that stands out more to me about the headlights though is how wide the coverage is. Apparently, with LEDs the light can be blocked above mirror / window height with such precision that the headlights can fully illuminate the on-coming traffic lane. At first I thought my lights were way misaligned, but when I looked online at videos on how to adjust LED headlights, they looked the same. It's kind of wild to have everything in front of the car lit, but if I look carefully, I can tell that the light is blocked just below the side mirror and window heights of the cars in front of me and on-coming traffic. Pretty cool!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wrote about this on another thread here, too: I drive lots of twisty, hilly mountain roads and this 'dead spot' in the lighting pattern means that I can't always see something that is in the road (like deer or pedestrians) that may be dangerously close to me. Even with high beams on, there is still a dark area that I find myself straining to see into. If I could replace the lights with something with better coverage, I would pay to do it. My only niggle with the Palisade in two weeks of ownership...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
(I copied this posting from another forum to include those who are here and not there.) I also live in the mountains and drive on 9 miles of very curvy and a very hilly road to get to my house so I understand your concern but do not feel alarmed enough to take decisive action. I acknowledge that driving is a subjective experience and each of us view it differently. Head light beam patterns can be adjusted. You could check with a dealer and have the headlight projection beam pattern checked. Should be covered under the new car warranty. Perhaps Hyundai just misaligned the pattern and it needs correction. At a minimum the triangle of limited visibility issue could be identified to them. If you or another take this course of action and get resolution please keep the rest of us informed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also experienced this, I have a Ram truck also which i use for Blocked Driveway Removal in Queens, sometime in the night I faced some issues of headlight so i decided to change HD led lights when i realized its light at night i am very impressed with the light performance, so i would suggest to try led lights.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts