Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any body have any idea if the Hyundai Palisade H-TRAC system may cause additional
wear on the brakes?
Some AWD systems use 3 differentials to control the AWD, But the H-TRAC system uses
a clutch system to control front to rear power transfer. Side to side power transfer is
controlled by the brakes on the spinning wheel. The system even uses the brakes when
going around a curve to assist with the steering in sharp or tight curves. Applies braking
on the inside rear wheel usually.
Is this going to cause additional wear?

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have no "actual" information, but all modern cars (even those that have actual torque vectoring) use differential application of the breaks and changes in throttle application to provide automated stability control in attempt to keep cars from sliding in a direction that car is not driving. I believe testing as shown a significant reduction in accidents. AWD drive or differential application of drive wheels even front to back should give additional safety control. Torque vectoring at specific wheels would provide even more control, but that is not something the Palisade has.

I think I would argue that I would gladly take a reduction in brake life for greater occupant safety and of course the car not getting smashed up is a nice bonus. AWD does weigh a bit more you can look up differences in weight for the same Trim/Seat configuration for FWD and AWD and presumably that like Cargo would put slightly more wear on breaks and tires all other things being equal.

·
Super Moderator
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hyundai claims they do have torque vectoring on the H-TRAC but do it by using the brakes.
Not thru a differential the way makers like Subaru does but with braking
Hyundai's videos even show how they achieve what they call torque vectoring

·
Registered
507 Posts
It is a matter of semantics but true Torque vectoring like SHAWD on Acura actually can vary the torque at each wheel independently without break application. The effect i believe is similar but not exactly the same.

- The safety systems are measuring many times a second for deviation from intended path and using every tool the car has to keep occupents safe. Either way ill take safety over any potential reduced brake/brake pad life.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts