Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our ‘21 AWD Limited has recently picked up a rotation-related grinding sound which has seemingly gotten louder over the last few days. It is not engine related, as the sound 1) pretty clearly comes from the rear and 2) repeats proportionally with speed and 3) is still present when coasting in neutral. I’ve done the initial troubleshooting including inspecting the wheels, tires and wheel wells for damage, loose parts, and debris including nails etc. The lugs are all tight. From the driver’s seat, it seems the noise is coming from passenger side rear. From the third row, passengers say it sounds like the driver’s side rear. From outside, I have been unable to definitely determine a side as my wife slowly coasts by me on the driveway.

My next step is to put the Pali up on a jack and spin the wheels and remove if need be. Hopefully that will help point out the location but in case it doesn’t… has anyone encountered this before? I’ll be checking the brakes for drag too, but it doesn’t seem like that kind of noise.

My local Hyundai service dept is booked up for two weeks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I didn’t get much info after pulling the wheels. There was a fair amount of brake pad left so it wasn’t a low pad sensor. I couldn’t get them to unlock all the way though, so I couldn’t spin them very well. I could rotate them but with great effort and I couldn’t reproduce the sound. I pulled the rear wheels off anyway for further inspection and couldn’t find anything. I also made a few recordings inside in different locations. I’ll try to filter the sounds and see what I can get. If there is anything useful, I’ll post.

·
Registered
2022 fwd Calligraphy
69 Posts
I agree that it may be wheel bearing, however I am more used to howl type sound at speed as opposed to a grinding sound.
I believe the grinding noise comes later when they get really bad with bits of the race & bearings chipping off.

Drewski, you'll need a auto stethoscope or just a big screwdriver to your ear (handle to ear) and put it against the back of the hub or near it while spinning the wheel in neutral with parking brake off of course. Check the other good wheel so you know what a good hub sounds like. There's gotta be tons of youtube vids on how to check wheel hub noise.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I mentioned, I couldn't recreate the sound by spinning the wheels while it was off the ground, which makes me more suspicious that it is not coming from the wheels, but somewhere else. I do not feel the grind through the brake pedal, steering wheel or SOTP, as I normally would if it were a brake or certain other wheel issues. In addition, no one who rides in the car can decide what side of the car the noise is coming from. That includes me, even when I'm standing outside of the car listening as my wife drives slowly by. I can hear it equally well on both sides, which makes me suspect somewhere up the line in the drivetrain, like say the rear diff. In the almost 2 weeks since I posted this, it is apparently getting louder. It is loud enough that I was able to record it on my phone. I cleaned up the recording and boosted it enough that the sound is definitely noticeable despite my rudimentary recording technique. The recording was made with all accessories off, windows up, going around idle+ speed (5-10mph?) through a smooth parking lot.

Palisade noise

EDIT: moved file to different host

1 - 6 of 6 Posts