Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My car is 14000 kms and aside from the Wind Noise issue, i had no problem until now. I noticed that whenever i turned my car's steering wheel , usually at low speeds, it made a grinding sound. At first i thought it was just while turning it left, but turns out its coming no matter which way i turn the steering.

Has anyone faced this issue? Could it be something serious?

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Yes that could be something serious. Take to a dealer for service. That is a warranty issue any way

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm.. The problems keep coming on and on. The problems i have had in these months surpass the problems i had in all my cars for the last 6 years

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hmm.. The problems keep coming on and on. The problems i have had in these months surpass the problems i had in all my cars for the last 6 years
If you don't mind me asking, can you describe the grinding noise? metallic? plastic? is it a true "grinding" or more of a rubbing? loud or soft?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not literally a grinding noise but just resembles that. Ill chose plastic and not metal. Like you're winding up some wires. It's Pretty evident if the AC is off.

·
Super Moderator
494 Posts
Well what have you done about it have you taken it to the dealer or maybe pull the front wheels off and looked it could be a number of things C.V. joint, brake pads something caught between pads and rotor wheel bearing etc. It has been 6 days since you first posted this problem. I say check it out and get it fixed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So i showed the problem to the dealer and his technician came up with all sorts of excuses to shut me off. First he told me all the cars have this and this is normal. Then when we test drove a new Palisade, there was no issue. He then told me that this break in happens in some of the cars and is normal. We then drove 2 other cars and none of them had this issue.

He finally told me that he could replace the 'Clock Spring' and that may or may not solve the issue. So they have now ordered the clock spring or whatever it is.

·
Super Moderator
494 Posts
I disagree with the dealer it is not normal i would get Hyundai involved if the clock spring does not fix your problem see picture below of a clock spring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So i showed the problem to the dealer and his technician came up with all sorts of excuses to shut me off. First he told me all the cars have this and this is normal. Then when we test drove a new Palisade, there was no issue. He then told me that this break in happens in some of the cars and is normal. We then drove 2 other cars and none of them had this issue.

He finally told me that he could replace the 'Clock Spring' and that may or may not solve the issue. So they have now ordered the clock spring or whatever it is.

I had the same issue. It took the dealer a while to acknowledge the issue as they had not seen something like this. In fact got them to bring in a brand new palisade and compare the sound. Their solution was to replace the steering wheel column ; which they did. That solved the issue for me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks. My dealer also didn't acknowledge at first. Had to show them a few palisades. They have ordered the same part. It sucks to know that an expensive car has so many issues.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited
9 Posts
I have the same problem with mine! The mechanic at the dealer told me it was the Top Strut Cover on the left side that had dried out. Having it replaced next week, will let you know how it turns out!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same problem with mine! The mechanic at the dealer told me it was the Top Strut Cover on the left side that had dried out. Having it replaced next week, will let you know how it turns out!
UPDATE: Dealer mechanic said he wants to replace the wheel bearing. He heard the "grinding" sound in the bearing. He could have just re-greased the bearing, but he said that would have only been temporary; so he wants to just change the whole bearing. This is something new for them since these vehicles just came out. We'll see how this turns out. "side-eyeing"

·
Registered
9 Posts
Got my Palisade back today, the grinding noise is gone. They replaced the upper and lower strut caps (something like that)!

·
Banned
673 Posts
Got my Palisade back today, the grinding noise is gone. They replaced the upper and lower strut caps (something like that)!
Caps shouldn’t cause a grinding noise issue, however an upper/lower control arm bushing that was installed wrong could.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Caps shouldn’t cause a grinding noise issue, however an upper/lower control arm bushing that was installed wrong could.
I didn't think they would, he was saying they were "dried out". Sounded kind of crazy, since the vehicle was just built in April. I really don't know what was done, I was just relaying to the forum what was told to me. It might have been a ball joint, I didn't get any paperwork on the repair when I left (my fault), I'll request a copy and post the results.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Or it could be the clockwork. I have noticed the same type of noise in mine and have made an appointment for the dealership to check it out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm having a similar issue almost when you're very low speed or parked and you turn the wheel. It sounds to me like, there's an electric motor that's disengaged that I'm turning. On mine it is not very loud and I only seem to notice it when everything's quiet. It sounds like you're manually turning an electric gear.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts