Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be making a car purchase shortly. I have to await some other financial matter to be completed. After a lot of investigation, I settled on the Palisade. I signed onto this forum and one of the first things I posted was my having first model year jitters. I wrote that I have bought a 97 Ford Expedition in 99. While I sold it at 250K miles, it did have a lot of unusual kinds of problems with it that turned out to be first model year problems that were solved in future years. Subsequently, I bought an 04 Expedition in 06 and it still runs great at 300K miles with very few unusual problems.
Now I want to buy something new or used that has all the newest safety features, cameras, sensors etc. The turn signal cameras really caught my eye. My neck does not rotate like it used to and looking at the dashboard as i change lanes is very appealing.
When I posted my first model year jitters comments, one person responded something to the effect that this is Hyundai not Ford and their quality and culture are vastly different. Problem for me is I keep reading about a lot of stuff on this board that indicates first model year problems. A couple of folks suggested they want to invoke the lemon law. Lots of wind noise issues. Rear a/c problems that may somehow be software related. (Software controls the A/C?). One gal needs her car repainted under warranty. Vibration problems. I am thinking my first model year apprehension is totally appropriate. Any thoughts?

This forum is chock full of folks whose car lives at the dealer. Do they provide a loaner?

·
Registered
821 Posts
@CVP33 is correct. Most people who don't have any issue don't post.

For what it's worth, it sounds like there are 2 main issues: the vibrations at high speed and the wind noise. There's now a TSB for the vibration (posted on this site) which states that models built after July 27 don't have the issue. And a TSB means Hyundai will repair them and knows what the issue is. Regarding the wind noise, there are now 2 different owners who have reported that their dealer has solved the issue. One by adjusting the seals around the window, the other by adjusting a metal plate in-between door seals (both posts come from another forum - not this one).

I don't think there are any other widespread issue. The paint issue you mentioned is one case and looks like it was caused by the dealer's aftermarket treatment. The AC not coming back on for the rear seats after a few hours appears to be by design. And it can be controlled from the driver's seat if need be. Certainly annoying, but not an actual issue with the car.

It's still early in the life of the product. More issues may reveal themselves at a later date. Or maybe not. It's hard to say. It's probably wise to wait until at least year 2 if you have concerns. But so far, it's not looking too bad. As a point of comparison, the 2020 Explorer has had several issues (or so I heard) and has been out for about the same amount of time as the Palisade.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
387 Posts
I purchased mine over 2 months and now have over 3200 miles and not a single issue and i test drove others with no vibration or air noise and dealer after market paint treatment is a high priced dealer mark up and was not put on correctly . I would also test drive one!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Mine is running great. Got it in August and can't stop driving it lol. I got an SEL but I should've gotten the limited. The wind noise thing I believe is over blown and the vibration issue maybe legit. I believe I felt it once or twice but hasn't bothered me at all. Overall great car. Came from a 2011 Ford explorer which was a first model year and had nothing but problems. Bought it used and I spent well over 2k in decutibles alone in warranty work. A $2500 water pump issue told me to say goodbye. Water pump in the engine on the timing chain is an extremely bad idea Ford. SMH

·
Registered
21 Posts
I will be making a car purchase shortly. I have to await some other financial matter to be completed. After a lot of investigation, I settled on the Palisade. I signed onto this forum and one of the first things I posted was my having first model year jitters. I wrote that I have bought a 97 Ford Expedition in 99. While I sold it at 250K miles, it did have a lot of unusual kinds of problems with it that turned out to be first model year problems that were solved in future years. Subsequently, I bought an 04 Expedition in 06 and it still runs great at 300K miles with very few unusual problems.
Now I want to buy something new or used that has all the newest safety features, cameras, sensors etc. The turn signal cameras really caught my eye. My neck does not rotate like it used to and looking at the dashboard as i change lanes is very appealing.
When I posted my first model year jitters comments, one person responded something to the effect that this is Hyundai not Ford and their quality and culture are vastly different. Problem for me is I keep reading about a lot of stuff on this board that indicates first model year problems. A couple of folks suggested they want to invoke the lemon law. Lots of wind noise issues. Rear a/c problems that may somehow be software related. (Software controls the A/C?). One gal needs her car repainted under warranty. Vibration problems. I am thinking my first model year apprehension is totally appropriate. Any thoughts?

This forum is chock full of folks whose car lives at the dealer. Do they provide a loaner?
2,000 trouble free miles here on my Limited. I was very apprehensive as I had never owned a foreign made vehicle. The Palisade Limited far exceeds my expectations and I am relaxed and confident in my purchase.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently purchased an 2019 Audi and have had lots of issues, one of which is driver assistance feature performance. I test drove the Palisade yesterday and the driver assistance features (particularly the lane keeping assist) perform much better than the Audi. I was very impressed with the Palisade, but it never hurts to wait a little while on a new model.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Echoing others here, I have no regrets. Our Limited isn't perfect, but as a long time Lexus owner (28 years) I know that there isn't a perfect vehicle. I haven't had the vibration problem, and I only had a wind noise once in a strong crosswind. There are, however some strange design decisions that I question. Not including folding/heated mirrors, having to turn off the engine stop function every time the car is started, buttons that should be lit that aren't and the strange headlight pattern that others have complained about. That being said I would definitely buy it again. I also share your concern about 1st year models, so I would make sure your dealer has a good reputation for after sale service. That was one of the biggest reasons I didn't consider the Telluride. Our local Kia dealer is, in a word, dishonest. We also have a Kia Sedona and every time I have it serviced they recommend maintenance items that aren't required by the manufacturer, yet they insist that if I don't have the service done the warranty will be void. My daughter just bought a Sportage from them and they programmed the service interval at 3000 miles, thinking she would just blindly take it in for service. Our Kia Sedona is a 2015 model, the 1st year after a major redesign. We have only had one warranty issue with the right side surround view camera. Other than that it has performed well for 60,000 miles.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Echoing others here, I have no regrets. Our Limited isn't perfect, but as a long time Lexus owner (28 years) I know that there isn't a perfect vehicle. I haven't had the vibration problem, and I only had a wind noise once in a strong crosswind. There are, however some strange design decisions that I question. Not including folding/heated mirrors, having to turn off the engine stop function every time the car is started, buttons that should be lit that aren't and the strange headlight pattern that others have complained about. That being said I would definitely buy it again. I also share your concern about 1st year models, so I would make sure your dealer has a good reputation for after sale service. That was one of the biggest reasons I didn't consider the Telluride. Our local Kia dealer is, in a word, dishonest. We also have a Kia Sedona and every time I have it serviced they recommend maintenance items that aren't required by the manufacturer, yet they insist that if I don't have the service done the warranty will be void. My daughter just bought a Sportage from them and they programmed the service interval at 3000 miles, thinking she would just blindly take it in for service. Our Kia Sedona is a 2015 model, the 1st year after a major redesign. We have only had one warranty issue with the right side surround view camera. Other than that it has performed well for 60,000 miles.
The side mirrors are heated. Just not power-folding.

·
Registered
48 Posts
To echo others I have had wind and electronics issues, however I truly do enjoy the car. There are certain design features or lack there of that make me scratch my head. Some examples are non electric folding mirrors, buttons that aren’t illuminated, the front sunroof screen is manual close and the steering wheel adjustment is manual. On the flip side there are many safety and comfort features typically seen it vehicles at almost double the price. my last car was the Lexus RX350 which was the first year redesign and I had minimal problems. Would I purchase it again if I had to do it over? Yes.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts