Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The all-new Palisade feels a lot like a Genesis, has anyone noticed that?
One review even said "the Palisade is so luxurious, Genesis should be worried" and I agree to a slight extent because both Hyundai and Genesis have raised the bar. Genesis so much that it gave Hyundai a void to fill, which can only mean an era of Genesis SUV's that could do well at rivaling what German automakers offer... and running out wallet dry :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
My Palisade shares our garage with our 2018 Genesis G80 Sport. I had a 2018 4Runner that I loved but I also really enjoy driving the Genny. In Limited trim, the Palisade is a great bridge between the two different vehicles. I love the utility it provides while also providing a Genesis-esque driving experience. They really do feel very similar because of all of the similar features they have.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As someone familiar with that generation of Genesis sedans, it and the Palisade can come off as cousins!

If you were to rate the Palisade on a scale of 1-to-10 of how Genesis like it is, with 0 being none and 10 being a full blown Genesis, what would you rate it?

·
Registered
26 Posts
When I first drove the G80 after getting the Palisade I was surprised at how similar they felt. I think it's probably all of the controls and tech they have in common.
Right now, I think I'd rate the Palisade as an 8 compared to the Genny. That may change if and when I get to drive the GV80 when it finally appears. FWIW, I was waiting for a GV80, but was blown away by the Palisade when I got to drive it.
In retrospect, maybe the Palisade could have passed for a GV80 if it had been introduced as a Genesis. It would probably need a bigger engine and rear drive though.

See Also: Genesis GV Forum

·
Registered
206 Posts
When I first drove the G80 after getting the Palisade I was surprised at how similar they felt. I think it's probably all of the controls and tech they have in common.
Right now, I think I'd rate the Palisade as an 8 compared to the Genny. That may change if and when I get to drive the GV80 when it finally appears. FWIW, I was waiting for a GV80, but was blown away by the Palisade when I got to drive it.
In retrospect, maybe the Palisade could have passed for a GV80 if it had been introduced as a Genesis. It would probably need a bigger engine and rear drive though.
The salesman at my dealership claims that the Palisade was initially supposed to be a Genesis model. He said that changed when Kia got it (as Telluride): you couldn't really have the same vehicle shared between Kia and... Genesis. Completely different buyers and price range. So Hyundai got it. Don't know if there's any truth to that, but that's the story I got...

Regarding the GV80, the spy shots make me believe it's going to be a 2-row and not a 3-row. Or if it's 3-row, that it'll be closer in size to a Santa-Fe than Palisade. Look at the roof line at the back: it comes down pretty low for a 3-row. I could be wrong though. Here's a spyshot:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm not sure what to believe either. I'm virtually certain that all Genesis models will be RWD so it's unlikely that Pali/Telly models were intended for Genesis.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 RWD Ultimate has some features missing on any trim level Palisade.
Mirror features: Auto Dimming, power folding.
Power tilt and telescoping steering wheel (memory for driver 1 and 2 with exit assist)
Front passenger four way lumbar support.
Full panoramic sun roof.
HID Headlights

The Palisade Limited has some features not on my Genesis.
Heated Steering Wheel (only on the AWD Genesis that year)
Heated and Ventilated rear seating
LED Headlights
Surround View Monitor
Blind View Monitor
Exit assist for drivers seat that moves down (Genesis only moves back)
Rear collision avoidance (sounds alert only)
Blind Spot collision avoidance (sounds alert only)
Pedestrian Detection
Rear Occupant Alert
Safe rear door opening
Driver Attention Warning
Drive modes
Full Digital Instrument Cluster (Genesis is similar to the 7" multi-information display)
Android Auto and Apple Car Play (firmware update available on lower trim Genesis only)
Driver Talk
Quiet Mode
Dual Bluetooth connection
Wireless Charging
6 more USB ports

Neither of them have fog lights ????

·
Registered
206 Posts
Wait... the
My 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 RWD Ultimate has some features missing on any trim level Palisade.
Mirror features: Auto Dimming, power folding.
Power tilt and telescoping steering wheel (memory for driver 1 and 2 with exit assist)
Front passenger four way lumbar support.
Full panoramic sun roof.
HID Headlights

The Palisade Limited has some features not on my Genesis.
Heated Steering Wheel (only on the AWD Genesis that year)
Heated and Ventilated rear seating
LED Headlights
Surround View Monitor
Blind View Monitor
Exit assist for drivers seat that moves down (Genesis only moves back)
Rear collision avoidance (sounds alert only)
Blind Spot collision avoidance (sounds alert only)
Pedestrian Detection
Rear Occupant Alert
Safe rear door opening
Driver Attention Warning
Drive modes
Full Digital Instrument Cluster (Genesis is similar to the 7" multi-information display)
Android Auto and Apple Car Play (firmware update available on lower trim Genesis only)
Driver Talk
Quiet Mode
Dual Bluetooth connection
Wireless Charging
6 more USB ports

Neither of them have fog lights ????
Wait... the Palisade does have an auto-dimming interior mirror. If you mean the outside ones, then that's another story.
There is 4-way lumbar support on the Palisade. I know, because I've tried during the test drive. It doesn't go up or down much, but it does do it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice break down. It just goes to show how much the bar has raised. A Genesis SUV will impress.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wait... the

Wait... the Palisade does have an auto-dimming interior mirror. If you mean the outside ones, then that's another story.
There is 4-way lumbar support on the Palisade. I know, because I've tried during the test drive. It doesn't go up or down much, but it does do it.
Yes the exterior mirrors on the Palisade do not auto-dim. A shame, all that safety stuff and you get blinded by the guy in the next lane.

Front Passenger is left out of the lumbar adjustment game entirely on the Palisade.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yes the exterior mirrors on the Palisade do not auto-dim. A shame, all that safety stuff and you get blinded by the guy in the next lane.

Front Passenger is left out of the lumbar adjustment game entirely on the Palisade.
Ah passenger-side... sorry, missed that the first time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
With how luxurious Hyundai has made the Palisade, I'm very excited to see what Genesis comes up with for the GV80 SUV. They definitely have a couple of tricks up their sleeve since they're late to the SUV party.

·
Registered
26 Posts
With how luxurious Hyundai has made the Palisade, I'm very excited to see what Genesis comes up with for the GV80 SUV. They definitely have a couple of tricks up their sleeve since they're late to the SUV party.
.... and they're not talking! I can't find any rumors anywhere. No spy pics of anything but mules, either.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah, Genesis has been remarkably tight lipped with stuff like this, which is commendable but very frustrating hahaha.

·
Registered
206 Posts
From autoblog.com yesterday:

Hyundai established its upmarket Genesis division to lock horns with Audi, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz. All three brands sell more crossovers and SUVs than sedans in America, so the burgeoning South Korean firm is preparing two high-riding models it hopes will hit the competition where it hurts.

The first Genesis-branded soft-roader will borrow key styling cues and its name from the GV80 concept (pictured) unveiled during the 2017 New York auto show. Motor Trend learned it will begin arriving in showrooms in early 2020, meaning it will break cover before the end of 2019, possibly at the Los Angeles auto show opening in November. The concept's high-tech, hydrogen-powered drivetrain won't make the leap from the show floor to the showroom floor, however.

Most examples will come with a V6 engine – a V8 is unlikely at best – and a gasoline-electric plug-in hybrid model could add electrification to the SUV's resume later in the production run. When it lands, it will compete in the same market segment as the Q7, the X5, and the GLE.

The model offensive will continue in 2021 with the launch of a compact crossover tentatively called GV70. Little is known about the model, and we haven't even seen it as a concept yet. But Motor Trend added the two GVs will represent the proverbial tip of the iceberg. Many of the company's recent concept cars are currently zig-zagging towards production, bouncing back and forth between the requirements of executives, the dreams of engineers, and the realities of the new car market.

The on-again, off-again Essentia coupe that stole the spotlight at the 2018 edition of the New York show will add a dose of emotion to the Genesis range when it makes its debut in the early 2020s, according to the magazine. And the Mint is the latest concept to escape from the minds of the company's design team. It's a city car, though it's not shaped like a conventional econobox, and it might get fast-tracked to production, too.

What remains to be see is whether the Mint will join its peers in American showrooms. None of the German brands that Genesis identifies as rivals sell their smallest models here.

·
Registered
51 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts