Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At this point I would not do much towing (but do live at the beach and have thought about a boat).
  • What are the true advantages or disadvantages of the AWD system (one I recall is if you have a tire issue you have to replace all 4 tires)?
  • I live in South GA, rarely would go off-road, no snow, etc.
  • I might tow occasionally but other than that would I really want it?

So if we get past that for almost $2,000 what do I get? (load leveling?, safer in rain perhaps?, etc.)?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
663 Posts
I didn't need AWD but got it anyways. Figured I'm not going to get a FWD SUV, and maybe someday it will be easier to sell (although buying a car thinking about selling it does not make for wise purchasing decisions)

If you don't need it and don't want to spend the money, then don't get it. If you really feel you will be tugging a boat, then get AWD for the traction on the ramps.

The disadvantage is the hit on gas mileage.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Well I will tell you that I've had a 4 wheel drive Explorer and a Nissan Pathfinder with AWD and between the two vehicles that I owned for a total of 18 years, I used the 4 wheel drive no more than 2 or 3 times!!! So I opted for the Limited FWD instead.I don't think it's worth the extra bucks and lower gas mileage unless you know for sure you'll need it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
As I live in a state with real winter, I put quite a bit of thought into this. Driving on snow/ice, the bigger issue is stopping - which is not abetted by AWD at all.

So I decided to go with FWD and use the extra money to buy aftermarket wheels and winter tires. I have been very impressed with the winter tires I have used om my prior sedans, and look forward to my first winter driving experience in an SUV.

Here in Iowa, we often joke about the excess numbers of AWD SUVs and 4WD trucks stranded in ditches the day after snow storms.

·
Registered
2 Posts
At this point I would not do much towing (but do live at the beach and have thought about a boat).
  • What are the true advantages or disadvantages of the AWD system (one I recall is if you have a tire issue you have to replace all 4 tires)?
So if we get past that for almost $2,000 what do I get? (load leveling?, safer in rain perhaps?, etc.)?

Thanks all!
Here in Seattle we really have no choice, they all seem to come only with AWD. We drive up to the mountains during ski season, so it is useful, but if I didn’t ski and had the option I probably would get FWD. It would cost less and get better fuel economy.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I purchased the Palisade with AWD and live in Alabama, west of Atlanta. I have noticed that the vehicle feels more sure footed when driving a bit more aggressively. I own a 4 wheel drive truck, a rear wheel drive car and a front wheel drive minivan. I am glad I spent the extra dollars to get the AWD. I purchase the Palisade last July so I have driven it in a variety of situations.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My buddy had a saying that the difference between FWD and AWD is how far you got stuck in snowbank. When it's icy, it doesn't matter what you have. Nonetheless, I drove from Florida to Chicago to get my AWD Limited. Just feel better having it.
Rusty

·
Registered
12 Posts
I live on Long Island NY. The cheapest you are getting an SEL around here is 42k because they all come with AWD. I bought my Palisade in South Florida where almost all the Palisade's have front drive only. I paid 35k for a loaded SEL.
I just drove it back to NY. We have had some tough winters, but not recently, and I have a Sante Fe with AWD so if necessary I drive that in the snow. Also, the roads are plowed within hours of a snow event, even blizzards.
I saved almost 7k, so for me it was a no brainer. I don't notice a difference in the AWD or the FWD.They are both sure footed. Save the money and go FWD.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got AWD because I can't get up my driveway in the winter without it. AWD makes a huge difference on snow - yes, its not going to make you stop but if you live in a hilly area a FWD car is not even going to move in many spots.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have a similar issue here in Alabama except it the rain. I park the Palisade down a grade to a covered area and the rain makes getting back up the hill (unpaved hard dirt, this is rural Alabama) to the house a bit of a challenge.
I also park my 4 wheel drive truck down their as well and use the 4 wheel function after it rains to climb the hill. I have experienced no difficulty getting the Palisade up that hill no matter the condition of the terrain. I am reminded of something I learned many years ago and worth sharing in this conversation. I never heard of anyone saying they regretted buying a 4 wheel or AWD vehicle when the option presented itself. I have heard of a number of people bemoaning the fact that they did not. You don't need the upgraded drive system until you do and then you don't care what is initially cost was. I am just saying.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I never test drive a FWD Palisade, but I wonder if there is slight torque steer compared to AWD.

using the gauge cluster setting that shows the torque apportioned, I can see the rear wheels helping when accelerating out of a turn. Makes me think if the car is FWD there could be instances where torque steer is felt where it wouldn’t be in an AWD Palisade

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have driven the AWD Palisade, at times, aggressively and I have never experienced torque steer. I also own a front wheel drive minivan and have experienced torque steer on occasion.

·
Registered
502 Posts
AWD is helpful. There is a reason why its tough to get FWD cars where people know the value of AWD. The cost difference is small around $!500. Some concern for longevity of AWD vs FWD. I would say for now thats one reason we choose a car with a 10 year/100K warranty. To each their own.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I purchased the Palisade with AWD and live in Alabama, west of Atlanta. I have noticed that the vehicle feels more sure-footed when driving a bit more aggressively. I own a 4 wheel drive truck, a rear-wheel-drive car, and a front-wheel drive minivan. I am glad I spent the extra dollars to get the AWD. I purchase the Palisade last July so I have driven it in a variety of situations.
I'll echo this. I'm in Colorado, and AWD is pretty much the only option, although I was able to test drive n FWD version while traveling. Even without the winters, I'd take the AWD version. It could be just be felling what I want to believe, but I think it does handle better and like others have said, notice that when accelerating out of a turn, that power is applied equally.

I also really like the AWD lock, but I ski a bunch in the Winter and typically travel over some passes to avoid traffic.

There's some great off-road review of the Kia Telluride, and from what I've read, while the Palisade can't quite match it, it comes close.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
There's some great off-road review of the Kia Telluride, and from what I've read, while the Palisade can't quite match it, it comes close.
Impressive considering it's the same drivetrain/suspension.

Any differences are likely 100% due to what tires the vehicle comes with.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Should be the same in general. As all the cars seem to come on variable rubber even for the same model hard to compare. I would say that 18 versus 20s makes some difference as well. If I am not mistaken 18s are slightly better for certain conditions.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I never test drive a FWD Palisade, but I wonder if there is slight torque steer compared to AWD.

using the gauge cluster setting that shows the torque apportioned, I can see the rear wheels helping when accelerating out of a turn. Makes me think if the car is FWD there could be instances where torque steer is felt where it wouldn’t be in an AWD Palisade
My son's girlfriend has a 2WD Telluride. He says the steering torque is very noticeable. I just sold a 2009 Honda Pilot 2WD which I loved but it had terrible steering torque. My Palisade is a 4WD and I have 0 steering torque. To me it is worth it just for that.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Thanks all!
we live in Eastern Virginia near the NC border. don't normally need AWD, but our son lives in the hills west of Richmond, and Daughter lives in Blacksburg. We have been stuck in Blacksburg during a normal snow there in a FWD Volvo, so this time we bought an AWD so that we don't get stuck again. The hit to gas mileage isn't much. and if you can't afford a small hit to gas mileage, why buy a 50k automobile?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts