Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good day all,
We're planning to buy a new Palisade in a month or so and I have a few questions that aren't easy to determine during a test drive. We're looking at the Limited AWD in Steel Graphite/Light Beige, if that affects your answers. I'll update with more questions as we come up with them.

1. With the light beige Nappa leather interior, does it stain from clothing dye e.g. from dark blue jeans?

2. How susceptible are the seats and other leather/vinyl surfaces to abrasion or scratches? We sometimes carry our small dogs and need to make sure the seats won't be getting scratched or punctured.

3. For those with Side Steps, are they truly functional or are they pretty cheap and flimsy?

4. How are the headlights on dim and bright? We currently have a 2006 Yukon and I feel it's the gold standard for light projection. See below.

Thanks in advance.

Jay

·
Registered
78 Posts
1. I get some transfer on one narrow section of the side bolster. It wipes off easily with any of my leather/vinyl cleaners - about every other car wash.

2. My seats are no more susceptible to scratches than any of my other cars. I have no experience with dogs.

3. No experience.

4. The LED headlights are great.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I’ve not owned mine long enough to speak to your first three concerns. I can speak to the headlights. They are the best of any vehicle I’ve been in. I have a Calligraphy so they are the full LED light system.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Good day all,
We're planning to buy a new Palisade in a month or so and I have a few questions that aren't easy to determine during a test drive. We're looking at the Limited AWD in Steel Graphite/Light Beige, if that affects your answers. I'll update with more questions as we come up with them.

1. With the light beige Nappa leather interior, does it stain from clothing dye e.g. from dark blue jeans?

2. How susceptible are the seats and other leather/vinyl surfaces to abrasion or scratches? We sometimes carry our small dogs and need to make sure the seats won't be getting scratched or punctured.

3. For those with Side Steps, are they truly functional or are they pretty cheap and flimsy?

4. How are the headlights on dim and bright? We currently have a 2006 Yukon and I feel it's the gold standard for light projection. See below.
View attachment 2464

Thanks in advance.

Jay
Since you're looking at AWD, have you considered the Calligraphy trim? It's only $900 more and gets you a bunch of unique stuff. However, it's not (yet) available with your color of choice (Steel Graphite), but should be soon. Ask your dealer. You may also dislike the unique wheels on the Calligraphy, so it's also a question of taste. Just figured I'd mention it.

1. We have been getting some blue staining on our beige Nappa leather from jeans, but it seems that a leather treatment has taken care of that for good.
2 and 3. Can't comment
4. This will be your new gold standard. The Palisade lights are that good.
Note to @Jeriamy: all trim levels get the LED headlights for 2021.

·
Super Moderator
1,102 Posts
We have the Beige interior and take our dogs to the Vet.
We purchased dog seat covers just for that purpose
They just slip on when we need them . strap goes over the head rest
two more go around front corners of seat. A small plastic tube pushes
in between the seat and back. Stays put, there cheap and easy to put
on and take off.
A good leather cleaner protector handles any stains from blue jeans

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the replies. Any recommendations on a good leather protector? I'm excited now about the headlights if they're better than what we have now.

@Eric2203 I'm not sold on what the Calligraphy gives you for the money. The added features don't seem to be worth it to me. Thanks for the input though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thank you all for the replies. Any recommendations on a good leather protector? I'm excited now about the headlights if they're better than what we have now.

@Eric2203 I'm not sold on what the Calligraphy gives you for the money. The added features don't seem to be worth it to me. Thanks for the input though.
I bought Chemical Guys leather cleaner and protector (two separate items) and one of their leather brushes. Lexol is supposed to be good too but haven’t tried it yet.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
My point was that the extras are worth more than the <$900 price difference. Think resale value. Assuming you can find the color you want and you like the Calligraphy-specific wheels/grille/front/rear, of course.

Personally, I like the quilted door panels and the microfiber suede headliner. Totally up to you though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Jeriamy Thanks for the info. I'll look for those.

@Eric2203 I get what you're saying. I'm just not a big enough fan of what the Calligraphy gives you to spend the extra $900. I don't buy vehicles for resale. We tend to keep vehicles longer than resale really plays a part.

·
Registered
2021 Calligraphy in Moonlight Cloud
2 Posts
Good afternoon Jay!
I just joined the forum, but I have had my Palisade for two and a half months. We traveled across three states to pick ours up because we were set on the Calligraphy in Moonlight Cloud. We also looked at the Limited, but the $900 difference to get the upgraded interior was well worth it to us.
As for your questions:

1: I have not experienced any issues with my jeans leaving any marks on the leather, although I have gotten smears on them from my work jeans that have easily cleaned off.

2: Haven't noticed any issues with abrasion from kids coming around I'm there.

3: N/A

4: Like many have said, the headlights have created a new standard for vehicle lighting. The thing that impresses me is how bright the low beams are without blinding oncoming vehicles. You can see a distinct line at the top of the beam until you hit the brights.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thank you all for the replies. Any recommendations on a good leather protector?

·
Registered
2021 Limited AWD
3 Posts
Hi Jay. We bought a 2021 Limited AWD in that exact color combination last month. We LOVE it. As for your questions:

1. We haven't noticed any staining in the light Nappa leather. Kids climb in and out in blue jeans, but primary driver (hubby) mostly wears work black slacks in it. No color transfer thus far.

2. We drive around with our 15 lb westie-mix in the back seats. No issues with scratches or abrasions.

3. Side steps N/A.

4. The lights are super bright. You'll love them. Our son made the comment that we'd woken up at least four people turning into our neighborhood last night.

A few here have mentioned the Calligraphy trim over the Limited. We decided against the Calligraphy because 1) did not like the rims on the Calligraphy AT ALL 2) Not a fan of the suede headliner 3) The quilting on the door was a bit too much for us and also looks like it would be harder to keep clean from dust and potential spills than the smooth leather on the Limited's doors. 4) The color -- we wanted the Steel Graphic/light interior.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good day all,

View attachment 2464

Thanks in advance.

Jay
The only issue with the car you are thinking about purchasing is the horrible garlic smell in the interior. They haven’t been able to fix mine with several attempts. Google palisade garlic before you decide to make the purchase. Cars.com has a very informative article also.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The only issue with the car you are thinking about purchasing is the horrible garlic smell in the interior. They haven’t been able to fix mine with several attempts. Google palisade garlic before you decide to make the purchase. Cars.com has a very informative article also.
They don’t all have this issue. In fact, it seems to be a small percentage, not to say it doesn’t exist at all. But you can smell the car before you buy it to make sure you aren’t getting one with the issue. Mine has no unpleasant odor.

·
Registered
2021 SEL Silver Lagoon with bench seat
91 Posts
I'm sorry your car has the smell. It sounds really awful for those that got stuck with it. That said, it does appear that the vast majority of the cars with Nappa leather do not have the smell. I hope they are able to fix yours.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Good day all,

View attachment 2464

Thanks in advance.

Jay
4. The lights are amazing. Very bright.

9D310F5F-0AD3-45F6-880F-E66A91C90057.jpeg
48B390C7-A32A-4994-BBF9-A7A95ADFADA4.jpeg
9D310F5F-0AD3-45F6-880F-E66A91C90057.jpeg
48B390C7-A32A-4994-BBF9-A7A95ADFADA4.jpeg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you all for the additional replies. I'm no longer concerned with color transfer onto the seats. Thanks to those who recommended a leather protector.

@SouthernRoadtrippers Thanks for your experience with your dog. That helps alleviate some anxiety.

@JRPalisade Thanks for the light pictures. Good to have something quantifiable. The YouTube videos I've seen can't accurately portray how the light is cast.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Jay, I have a 2020 Limited, bought almost a year ago, in the same color combo. I have 2 kids and I use Armor All leather care wipes. I wipe all the seats once a month and they still look like the they did when I bought the car (not that I expected any less). The only thing is that the seats are a little slippery...but I never had leather before so maybe this is normal. I have two small dogs as well but when they travel they share a large carrier crate that easily fits behind the second row ( previous dog was a lab). As for the lights. I agree with everything the others on here have said. They are brighter to the sides and front of the vehicle than the LEDs on my previous vehicle and the high beams are even more impressive. Only recently I have started getting flashed by oncoming drivers. Some owners have complained about a divet in the center (slightly skewed) of the low beam. It is there, and noticeable, and sometimes annoying, but what most dont also say is that it occurs further in front of the car than ANY low beam on a previous vehicle.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thank you all for the additional replies. I'm no longer concerned with color transfer onto the seats. Thanks to those who recommended a leather protector.

@SouthernRoadtrippers Thanks for your experience with your dog. That helps alleviate some anxiety.

@JRPalisade Thanks for the light pictures. Good to have something quantifiable. The YouTube videos I've seen can't accurately portray how the light is cast.
You are welcome, I just realized the duplicate pics , sorry about that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts