Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that engine power would randomly cut out, and it was getting more and more frequent. I couldn't get over 25mph with the gas pedal pegged to the floor. Restarting the car would only sometimes fix it. It happened more than once with the whole family in the car (1.5yr old) while turning onto a main highway. This is a very dangerous situation when you can't exceed 25mph with cars swerving around you at 60+mph.

I immediately opened up a case with Hyundai corporate, called my dealer, etc. They scheduled me for the earliest date they could which was a few days away...Monday the next week. So the Sunday beforehand I called Hyundai roadside assistance to tow the car to the dealership. Meanwhile, I had gotten approval from corporate over the phone to get a rental car since my dealer did not have a loaner available. No one mentioned a fee limit, I was simply told to go rent a car and it would be reimbursed. So that's what I did, I needed a vehicle since the Palisade was unsafe to drive for my family.

The dealer did repeat my problem once while they had it that Monday. They then reset ECM, TCM, driving adaptations, etc. and could not repeat the problem. I pushed for more testing since it was an intermittent problem. They had someone drive it for about 30mins over a lunch break after they promised a long term 4hr test. They claimed it was fixed, so I went and picked it up. It drove home just fine.

The next day, I get in to drive to work, turn onto the main road...try to accelerate, and get to a whopping 25mph with the pedal pegged to the floor again. Same problem as before. No change whatsoever. I call the dealer immediately and they ask me to get it to the dealership..so I do my best to limp it about 10miles there. I found out that the shift paddles are actually useful for something on this drive! With the pedal floored, and shifting manually at around 2000rpms, I could get up to speed with traffic, albeit very very slowly. Still dangerous in my opinion.

So I get to the dealer, and leave the car running in it's messed up state. Tech comes out and gets it into shop to diagnose. He told me that if I had shut the car off he would have never seen the fuel pressure sensor anomaly. That's pretty sad for a 2020 vehicle and dealership service. So I go get my 2nd rental car and they get their 2nd chance at repairing it. Finally they call me late on a Friday to tell me they found the fuel pressure sensor had failed and had replaced it, it's ready for pickup. Finally! (btw I saw another post here about this issue when I initally searched around for what the problem was and figured it was that...but wanted to let Hyundai do their thing on their own). My 5min google search for diagnosing the issue took Hyundai a week. How pathetic.

Anyway, now I'm trying to get reimbursed for my rental car fees and it's a nightmare. They first offered me about 30% of the rental fees, I complained, and now they're offering me 54% of the rental fees as a final goodwill offer. HA - Ridiculous! I was told beforehand that my rentals would be reimbursed and NOW you decide to tell me the max fee per day. Way to withhold information and provide false information to a customer duping them into a huge rental bill. I've filed a complaint with BBB, and am trying constantly to get a hold of someone with authority at HMA to discuss this, no luck so far.

Sorry for the long post.

Don't buy a Hyundai for the warranty. Don't expect any form of reasonable customer service. They are cheap and pathetic. I'll never by a Hyundai again after this fiasco. I didn't buy a fully optioned premium vehicle to be treated this way.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Sorry about your ordeal and run around for the reimbursement. When I took my car in for AC condenser replacement, the dealer sent my info to Enterprise, gave me the ride to the place and we picked the rental and off we went, it was thankfully a hassle free experience.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it's posted as $35/day.

However customer service reps did not disclose that information and falsely told me that I would be fully reimbursed for a Palisade similar rental vehicle. They lied to my face and now telling me that they're being nice by sticking me with $1000 in rental fees for a defect in their car I have no control over.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Aspehal, this is an interesting post and definitely there are some lessons for others on this forum. Thanks for sharing and I feel your frustration.

Relating to your 1st service visit you mentioned that they repeated the problem, so the tech did have the fault code(s). They removed the code by doing the resets you mentioned. They didn’t fix the problem!! The lesson here is for the customer to push the service dept to fix the issue, not perform a reset. If there are multiple codes then have the tech perform the fix on the component that is most likely causing the fault. I wouldn’t leave without an actual repair, especially for something as serious as the issue with your vehicle.

Relating to rental costs reimbursement, a person needs to know exactly how much is going to be covered. I understand vehicle rental costs are through the roof in the US at present. A person should not be making assumptions that it’s going to fully covered without going through verification with the company that will be covering the cost. since customer service has moved from 30% to 50%, try to push them to 75%. I realize it’s still a bitter pill.

Relating to your comment on all fault codes being stored, this is definitely not a Hyundai only issue. I really believe only US govt regulatory requirement will make this happen. I totally agree with you that this should be a safety and consumer protection requirement for all 2020 vehicles sold.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't like hearing of this problem and hope it is not a common one. I am empathetic to your experience and hope it gets to a positive resolution.

I too am NOT happy with service/warranty work on our Palisade. I am hoping it is just our dealer and will be taking ours to another dealer after this but the car seems to be very advanced, full of convenience but the dealership mentality (at least at the one we purchased from and have had service performed at) is still from the dinosaur age. This dealer also sells the Genesis line which is supposed to be luxury and compete with Lexus, Mercedes, etc and I would hate to pay for those vehicles and get the type of service we are getting.

Our warranty issue isn't dangerous, in our case the bolt that attaches the arm from the body of the vehicle to the inner driver door that controls set points for fully open or partially open is loose so every open and close of the driver door there is this loud popping sound and you can see that arm pop/move.

First attempt at warranty repair they stripped the bolt told us it was fixed and to come get it. Upon arrival pointed out that not only is it NOT fixed it is now worse than when we dropped the vehicle off. They told us upon this further questioning they have parts ordered and to bring it back 4 days later.

We arrived 4 days later, dropped off the Palisade again, and they didn't fix it, need more parts, told to pick it up and come back when parts arrive.

I don't know what parts need to be added, to me they need to fix the stripped bolt they have created and that should be re-tapping, using a slightly larger bolt, a helacoil, or something like that.

Every service interval they are high pressure selling us additional services vs just performing the recommended service and sending us on our way. If I hear one more time about an extend service plan that covers wheel alignments and how my car will suddenly fall apart and die if I don't buy the plan I am going to throat punch someone.

·
Super Moderator
1,907 Posts
You need to report that dealership to the customer service number in the owners manual, and get them to start a ticket on the problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Update, called to see if or when parts would arrive and was informed "oh ya, we got those two weeks ago, we have an appointment in mid October we can set you up for".

The parts should have been ordered against our warranty repair order, when they arrived the parts department upon receiving the parts should have seen these are not for stocking in a bin but for a repair order and we should have been notified. I was pretty upset that I had to call and was informed the parts already arrived.

I escalated to the Service Manager explained that I should not have to be scheduled at the next available appointment at the end of their queue but should be worked in because I have already been in twisce and he got us in the next day. At least they fixed the door.

Looking for a better dealer for future service and repair work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts