Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know what it is? Took delivery of my 2021 Limited last week. The front side wndows have the UV protection symbol on the glass (thermometer with swoosh arrow) but I can’t find the percentage of UV that is blocked anywhere. I have skin cancer concerns and would like to know how much protection I will have if I do not tint.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I may have cobbled together an answer. From Do you know the SPF of your car’s windows? : "Some automakers are opting for more expensive, higher-SPF glass, not only to protect the car?s occupants but also to cool down their cars. Hyundai and Kia use window glass with an SPF between 44 and 48 in their U.S.-made vehicles." The symbols on the bottom rear of my side windows include a thermometer with a "swoosh" arrow, indicating UV protection (it helps cool the car). Therefore, I'm guessing my side windows on the Palisade Limited (2021) do have protection. An SPF of 45 means that about 98% of UVB to reach us through the window. UVB is what causes sunburns and can contribute to skin cancer. UVA can do this a well, but to a lesser degree.

·
Registered
525 Posts
you said: An SPF of 45 means that about 98% of UVB to reach us through the window.

I think you got that figure wrong.

SPF 45 blocks about 98% of UVB

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you said: An SPF of 45 means that about 98% of UVB to reach us through the window.

I think you got that figure wrong.

SPF 45 blocks about 98% of UVB
You are correct. I know better, but managed to turn the number around. Only 2% of UVB makes it through the window if the article I found is correct and applies to the Pali Limited side windows. For those who want more reassurance, tinting can provide it. The tint I'm considering (XPel) blocks 99%+ of UVA, UVB and even UVC according to the manufacturer..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts