Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
So, in the last month or so, I've had the FCA warning twice!
First time was when a car in n front of me was taking a left and I went too close before it completed it's turn
Second when i was in bumper to bumper traffic on a highway, the vehicles started moving so I accelerated to a decent speed but in a few seconds the vehicle in front of me stopped all of a sudden and I got a warning.
Overall, looked like it worked in both The instances that I expected it to work.
Haven't tried with a pedestrian so far ;-)
Did you just get a warning or did it also actively apply the brakes?
I am not a 100% sure on the applying break part, i know i had it under control but i was closer than "normal" and hence the warning with the red lights and the sounds!

Please correct me if i am wrong - isnt it supposed to "Assist" in breaking as in do everything that will make swift breaking easier rather than totally bring the car to stop?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Please correct me if i am wrong - isnt it supposed to "Assist" in breaking as in do everything that will make swift breaking easier rather than totally bring the car to stop?

The following is purely speculation and isn't backed up by anything in the manual
I ask the question because typically this systems are meant to catch the driver not paying attention and being caught off guard. So if they're actively accelerating towards an object (foot on gas), I'd expect intervention. If they're already actively braking, that would suggest they're aware of the object and I wouldn't necessarily expect intervention, at least not necessarily as early.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Maybe I am giving the system too much credit/expectation, but I am thinking that it should do whatever it takes to prevent an imminent crash. That means calculating the speed, the braking power needed, and a bunch of other factors, and verifying that what is currently being done is not enough to prevent the crash - and assisting accordingly to prevent it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
As the name implies, it merely assists with emergency braking. it does not prevent an accident. Per the manual:
• In an urgent situation, the braking
system enters into the ready status
for prompt reaction against the driver’s
depressing the brake pedal.
• The FCA provides additional braking
power for optimum braking performance,
when the driver depresses
the brake pedal

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ok so this explains why the system doesn't react in certain situations. It doesn't actually brake by itself unless the driver is braking. That makes it a very limited use case, only able to assist in certain scenarios. Doesn't seem like it will stop for a person that suddenly darts into the road unless the driver has the time to react and apply the brake. Thanks, I didn't get to that part of the manual yet!

·
Registered
40 Posts
For anyone worried about this, find an open parking lot and a very large (EMPTY!) box, drive towards the box at somewhere between 10 and 25 mph, and see what happens....

I'm not super inclined to worry, as at least the IIHS test says it avoided a crash at 12 mph and 25 mph. I do not believe ACC needs to be active to have collision avoidance operating, that is generally not how these systems work.
It will smash the box.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good news today... Tested the FCA Pedestrian feature with a life-size cardboard cutout of a person driving at it at 9mph and the system alerted and completely stopped the palisade. I did the same test with just a cardboard box a few days ago and it did not warn so obviously it "looks" for human shapes before activating. Here's a short clip of the test...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Nice video! I wonder what happens if u were going faster like 20 or 30 mph.

Or maybe going like 9mph but with a cardboard car in front.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cardboard boxes don't work (tested that already). The system uses the camera to look for people or vehicles shapes. I'm sure that at 20-30 mph it would also work but I had to put a tall tripod behind my cardboard cutout due to winds so didn't want to risk making contact with the tripod should it not had worked.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts